Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched found nothing on this topic.

I was driving hard today and I accidently took my tach into the redline zone and noticed it bounced off, will this cause damage, I have heard in the past it could cause valves to bend, damage, etc.

I would think Kawasaki would have something built into its cpu to prevent damage of this sort or cut power off at redline zone.

Can anyone please educate me on this topic? Greatly Appreciated

·
ratherberiding
18,438 Posts
If it bounced off then that was the rev limiter. Its job is to prevent you from damaging the engine. Now if you were to keep it pegged up there for a length of time, you'd do some damage, but bouncing it off on rare occasion is no problem

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think the idea about hitting redline started with cars in mind. Supposedly taking the tach up high once in a while on the car helps to keep it clean. Like those shell commercials show gunk building up. It is to help clean and prevent that i believe.

If its actually true, i would think its less of an issue with bikes. We're all using premium gasoline which is formulated to keep the engine cleaner I believe.

What can be verified these days though?

Bouncing off the redline once in a while on the bike wouldn't cause me to worry either though. Don't sweat it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, so our bikes do have some sort of mechanism to prevent damage to valves, etc due to redlining. I'm guessing this is controlled electronically via the cpu?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
lol

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Well if you guys searched...that's his wife. He only has a pic of their wedding day on here.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Rev limiter is there to stop you from actually doing damage to the engine.

One of my techs shifts using the rev limiter. Just holds it wide open and adds a little preload to the shifter. When it hits the limiter it retards timing by killing ignition and it pops into the next gear.

He's on his third transmission right now.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rev limiter is there to stop you from actually doing damage to the engine.

One of my techs shifts using the rev limiter. Just holds it wide open and adds a little preload to the shifter. When it hits the limiter it retards timing by killing ignition and it pops into the next gear.

He's on his third transmission right now.

Thanks Sev, so it actually retards timing electronically, your tech does this when on the track I'm assuming.

I noticed that it just bounced right off, there is so much power in the 12- 14,000's I couldn't even understand why someone would push th engine this hard unless under certain circumstances.

I was racing my brother on his bike and I hit it in second and noticed my tach's reaction, was worried about it, thought I could have done some damage. Also a friend of mine bent his valves from hitting the redline constantly, he was a little crazy, but his bike was in the late 90's therefore no Fuel Inj. and I guess there were no rev limiter's to prevent damage.

Appreciate the Info

1 - 20 of 30 Posts