Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried
- Lighter fluid
- Silicone spray
Both suggested to me browsing online, neither worked
Then I found we had a specific spray for glue residue etc

Theres still a glue 'smudge' - Did anyone else have that?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
wd40 and a hair dryer gets the decal off
some methanol or alcohol or somethin along those lines gets the glue residue off, i can't remember what i used exactly. it was some stuff my dad had layin around leftover from work.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
bar and tar remover. walmart $5

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Here's a couple of tips from someone who's been there, mate. Do yourself a favor and spring for a can of 3M Adhesive Remover:

http://www.shop3m.com/facility-care-adhesive-remover.html

This is the only stuff that really works to get off that residue easily. Goo Gone takes too much elbow grease and will take you forever just to remove a tiny bit.

DO NOT USE PAPER TOWELS with any solvent you use on the finish. The tiny wood fibers in the paper towels will scratch the fairing! Use only a clean cotton cloth and replace it often, as debris will build up and that will scratch your finish too. I learned all this from my own experience of replacing my stock "Ninja" decals with red ones. Hopefully you won't go through what I did! :rolleyes:

·
Labia Grappler
3,744 Posts
I used a eraser wheel then goo gone for the left over putting some heat on it helps too
:plusone: to Goo Gone. It has worked for me on every adhesive I have ever tried to remove.

Here's a couple of tips from someone who's been there, mate. Do yourself a favor and spring for a can of 3M Adhesive Remover:

http://www.shop3m.com/facility-care-adhesive-remover.html

This is the only stuff that really works to get off that residue easily. Goo Gone takes too much elbow grease and will take you forever just to remove a tiny bit.
I've never had that problem with Goo Gone ... but then again ... I may not have removed REALLY sticky shit either.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Gasoline. We use it in our shop. Put some gasoline on a soft cloth and it will take the residue off in NO time...I was hesitant until they showed me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just did mine 2 weeks ago. Heated it with a hair dryer, picked at one end of the sticker until their was enough to grab onto then it came off very easy. To get the residue off i used goo gone. Took no time at all. Just wipe it down good when your done to make sure the goo gone is completely gone.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
:plusone: to Goo Gone. It has worked for me on every adhesive I have ever tried to remove.

I've never had that problem with Goo Gone ... but then again ... I may not have removed REALLY sticky shit either.
I absolutely LOVE Goo Gone, but it really came up short when removing the sticker residue on my bike. While it did work, it took so much time and effort I was concerned about removing paint along with the residue. I was going through cloths like crazy and kept worrying about scratching the finish because of all that rubbing. I remembered someone suggesting the 3M product in the 250 forum and went looking for a can. Man, what a difference! It took the second sticker residue off in like 1/10th the time of the first one. Goo Gone is great for most usues, but in this case the few bucks I spent for the specialized 3M product was really worth the money to me.

·
Registered
633 Posts
what i used was duct tape. Just put some duct tape over the residue and pull the tape off. Repeat that a couple of times and it should get the residue off. It worked for me.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
goo gone has wd40 based chemicals in it, just a different scent really, spray a good bit on a cloth & then wipe it off afterwards spray some window cleaner on it & the amonia will take the smell & grease away then use spray wax ;)

·
Labia Grappler
3,744 Posts
I absolutely LOVE Goo Gone, but it really came up short when removing the sticker residue on my bike. While it did work, it took so much time and effort I was concerned about removing paint along with the residue. I was going through cloths like crazy and kept worrying about scratching the finish because of all that rubbing. I remembered someone suggesting the 3M product in the 250 forum and went looking for a can. Man, what a difference! It took the second sticker residue off in like 1/10th the time of the first one. Goo Gone is great for most usues, but in this case the few bucks I spent for the specialized 3M product was really worth the money to me.
Did you actually buy the can from the link you provided or were you able to find it locally? If so ... what store?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I used some stuff called Goof Off and a terry cloth. This stuff will haze the turn
signals, so I taped those off, does not affect the clear coat. I also re-waxed the
area when all the residue was gone.

·
Pursebully
38,898 Posts
Did you actually buy the can from the link you provided or were you able to find it locally? If so ... what store?
You can get it at O'Reillys, but get the general purpose stuff (in the red can). This is the only stuff I use, and it's never failed me. I've used it on carpet, my daugher's hair, finished wood, etc. If you really want to be a tight-ass, call me and I'll get you a can from work.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I finally found a can by calling a few local hardware and craft stores until I found a hardware store that had 3 cans in stock. It's not available everywhere, but you can find it if you look around a bit.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sometimes if you look at it in the light at an angle you can still see the Ninja outline, did you guys have that?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
nope

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
i used the liquid u buy to remove the tint form cars.....works way better than goo gone
the tint liquid u spray on the body and remove the glue residue with a scraper knife thingy that come with it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts