Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I know, it's a newbie question, but here goes.
How do you remove the cowling (fairing) pins on the 2003 6RR or 636 on the underneath area so I can remove the fairings to change the oil? Man, it's like I'm stupid or something, but I can't get them out! What's the "trick" to removing them without totally tearing them out!?! :(

Many cautious rides end with success.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Actually, Rob, you forgot the TOTAL procedure...

(1) Push in center of the pin - it's all dried out, so not so easy
(2) Tug and tug and pull and eventually pry the little bastard off with a screwdriver - again, it's all dried out and stuck to the fairing, even though you finally managed to push in the center
(3) Snap off two of the little prongs on the inside, destroying the pin altogether
(4) Reassemble the fairing with two okay pins and throw away the two you broke
(5) Ride the bike without those two pins to your local dealer to find out they want $2.00 a PIECE for the little pricks!!!
(6) Order 10 of 'em, 'cause you KNOW you're going to go through them eventually.

At least, that's the luck I've had... they seem to get covered in road grime and super-glue themselves in place. :(

·
Registered
338 Posts
Push in the center pin of the rivet until it clicks (about half way in). Spray some WD-40 on it if the rivet is stuck to the plastic fairing. It should slide right out. To re-install, Pull the center pin out of the rivet until you hear it click (until it's sticking halfway out of the rivet). Slide into place and push the center pin back in until flush. I've removed my plastic several times and only had to use the WD-40 the first time. Never had to replace any rivets.
:)

·
Registered
60 Posts
My dealer gave me a little bag of them and called it a warranty item. I was thinking about trying to find a dzus connector of some sort. Maybe one of you racers out there might have an idea or two?

John

·
Registered
36 Posts
Dzus would be a greeat idea..... let us know if you find a size that will work..... Mine came right out..... he said that he had an o3.... i pushed in my centers and the practically fell out... good design but i can see how they would goto hell in a few years....
Dzus would be a great idea

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.