Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm almost done working on the back end of my bike and I'm getting ready to start on the front. Is there anyway to get the front turn signs off so I can install marker lights without dropping or loosening the front fairing? Can you get to them by taking off the side fairing? Dropped front fairing once to fix front signal...don't think it was ever attached with the little bracket in the rear correctly...I don't want to have to do that again if I don't have to.
Thanks for the help...I know there are alot of you that have put markers on the front and I welcome you advice.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
You can get em off yes, I took mine off without removing the front fairing.
They are designed to pop out under pressure (so if you rub them up against a car in your driveway they just pop out, not break)
Once you get them off, just cut the wires going to them and then splice in your new markers.

That was a 2002 anyway, I assume 2000-2002 are the same

-=Welcome To Canada=-
2002 Green 6R
1986 Gixxer 7/11

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Taking off the front fairing once the lowers are off is very simple. If the little plate is not on the back of the turn signal you can just pull it out. If the plate was installed correctly you will probably have to take off the upper although I can reach around to the turn signal hole with the lowers off, you just can't see. You might be able to get it off by feel.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot...my bike is a 2001. The little plate on the back was off when I got the bike...signal fell off everytime I bumped it in the garage. I was afraid to try to "break off" the signals that it would damage the fairing or crack it. Had the front off once trying not to do that. Hoping to reach in someway to get signal off to put markers on. Do the fronts connect with the same plug as the the rear? I bought connector for the rears so I didn't have to do any splicing.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Yeah, the connectors are the same. I wouldn't cut any wires I didn't have to. Just curious, where did you find the connectors?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got them right from the cycle shop where I bought the lights. the short stalks and marker lights are Lockhart Phillips and the connectors are the from there too. Part # 122-9651 double filament and #122-9650 single filament. Made things so easy and no wires cut. Kept stock parts in mint condition then.
http://www.lockhartphillipsusa.com/lp.html

Edited by - Unreel on 12/08/2002 10:40:14

·
Registered
695 Posts
Unreel, you may or may not want to do this, but when I put my flushmounts on my bike...it took me about 15 minutes if that.

I popped my old signal out, cut and striped the wires from my bike and then cut and stripped the wires from my new signals and connect them and wrap em up in electrical tape. I just used the 2-sided tape given with the signals. I think it looks great, and it was really easy to do. But some people who are a little more thorough than me will tell you its not a good idea to 'cut and strip' and use the tape, but I'll tell you if you don't want to spend an hour putting these on then this way is one way you can do it.

02 ZX6R (Yellow)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I also have the LP flush mounts. I took the upper fairing off, it isn't that tough and it gives you much better access. I then cut the wires and used crimp connectors for the LP signals. Then used the two sided foam tape LP supplies just to hold them in place while I used the self tapping screws to really attach the signals well. If you only use the tape, the signals kinda hang there. Screwing them on adds extra strength and also sucks the signals up against the fairing real nice and tight.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Personally I would remove the fairing and do it right, I've done 2 6R's that way and mounted them with screws and they are very well secured, and it wasen't hard. Maybe it's just me but I didn't wanna trust that double sided tape at high speeds and when it got wet etc. The first bike I did I bought connectors but for the second one I just spliced the wires together and electrical taped 'em.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to drop the fairing...really nuts for doing things right. I'm not too sure about the double sided tape. How did you screw them on or make a bracket?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Well it depends what model of markers you get. I had LP flushmount V's, a very common one for kawi's. I removed all the stock mounting brackets from the OEM lights.

If you go with LP's FM V's, this is what worked well for me:

First, drill a hole though the base of the new light (after removing the lens cover & bulb).

Put a bolt though, then inside the fairing just rig somethign up to go behind the hole the OEM stock went thru (drill hole for bolt to slide thru), and then put a nut on the other side. I used an old piece of plastic left over from trimming my fender.

I also used a very thin piece of plastic to cover the outer hole since the new marker is a bit smaller than the hole. Now there's no "crack" at all. I spent most of my time making that piece to fit perfect and look good.

Edited by - Grunt_99 on 12/08/2002 20:54:28

·
Registered
284 Posts
FWIW, I used the tape, and mine have done fine through a lot of wetness and high speeds. True about them not being tucked as tight against the fairing, though.

-----

Open Throttle

·
Registered
322 Posts
You can buy connectors that will plug into the factory connectors at autozone. I saw them when I was buying my integrator. Also, Radio Shack will probably have them since they're a fairly common connector for alarm systems and some commercial wiring.

Diirk
'99 ZX6R
'02 Raptor
'01 Wolverine
'87 Radian

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have connectors I got right from Lockhart Phillips when I bought the lights. They worked great on the rear short stalks...keeps things neat. The front will be a project...just to cold in the garage right now.

·
Registered
143 Posts
What kind of flushmounts will work with the ZX-6R (2000 model)

I think i got a good deal on ebay the other day when i won a set of LP FLushmount I's. These almost look like they will not fit over the molded plastic to cover the hole. Will it?

And the mounting hardware doesnt have tapping screws included. Just machine screws, nuts and lockwashers.

Drilling required?

thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
What kind of double sided tape is it? Is it really thin (paper thin) or does it have some body to it? Does it say anything on the liner?

Double sided tape is used for things like holding scuff strips on flaps (airplane wings), holding aluminum panels on the side of skyscrapers, and trim on cars.

If you use the tape, just make sure you clean both surfaces properly... use IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol, rubbing alcohol). Then when you apply the tape.... that's it. It ISN'T a good idea to lift it and readjust things.

Also - apply good solid pressure, and keep in mind that the bond strength will generally build over a 3 day period.

OH - and make sure it is at ROOM TEMPERATURE for those 3 days!!!!! Very important. The adhesive in the tape needs to FLOW into the microscopic nooks and cranies in order to achieve best possible results.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.