Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Search was useless)

I want to remove the catalyst today but i have a few questions. First is it better to cut out a piece if the pipe and slip the cat out And where exactly would i have to cut or would it be better to just cut off that hole section of pipe? and how much would a muffler shop charge to weld on a new pipe? Ive been told if you leave the stock pipe without the cat that it looses low end torgue due to the empty chamber. Any help would be great. thanks.

·
Banned
5,572 Posts
Cheapest way would be to take the header off. Then take a breaker bar or a bunch of screw drivers and start bashing the shit out of the cat, till its all gone. Then install it back up again and see if you feel any loss of low end torque.

If you do, then go get a piece welded there. I could see it costing you about $25-$30 bux.

·
Registered
297 Posts
(Search was useless)

I want to remove the catalyst today but i have a few questions. First is it better to cut out a piece if the pipe and slip the cat out And where exactly would i have to cut or would it be better to just cut off that hole section of pipe? and how much would a muffler shop charge to weld on a new pipe? Ive been told if you leave the stock pipe without the cat that it looses low end torgue due to the empty chamber. Any help would be great. thanks.
http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=42623

The search isn't so useless... here you go. I did it this way and it worked well.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
(Search was useless)

Don't remove the cat. You will lose power. Just buy a used aftermarket header instead.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't remove the cat. You will lose power. Just buy a used aftermarket header instead.
Well right now im going to gut the my stock exhaust. What if you cut that section of pipe off and replace it with a pipe the same size as the one going to the exhaust. I been reading the link and most of the people taking the cat off seem to just leave the big section of pipe empty. Could that be causing the power loss?

·
Banned
5,572 Posts
Yes, probably. Because an aftermarket header is like identical to the stock header without the cat. The only difference is the diameter of the header itself.

·
Registered
133 Posts
A highly experience ex-AMA engine builder has dyno'ed the ZX6 with and W/O the catalytic converter. It makes no additional HP either way. Don't waste your time or lower the resale value.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
with out highly modifying your bike there really isnt much of any gains to cutting out he cat. i did it, but i had differant reasons than your. but do know. it is WORK. it dont want to just fall out nice and easy, you are going to have to work it out of there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts