Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw alot of people asking how to remove the tail section on thier 636. I was installing my home-made fender eliminator with plate light and decided to take pictures as i removed the whole tail.

Enjoy -

This one screw is the only one thats holding this side plastic piece.

Thats what it looks like once you remove it. It exposes 3 screws. 1 for the seat and 2 for the plastics.

This is the opposite side with that plastic removed. There are 2 screws holding in that side. This side the green plastics only have 1 screw.

Remove the screws from both sides.

Remove these 2 screws from the rear. There under the seat.

It took me a minute to figure this out but only on the left of the bike there are 3 plastic black clips under the side. The easiest way to remove them is push in on the center and you'll hear a click. Once you pull on the plastic they'll just pop out.

Remove the two bolts holding the seat on. One on each side. Pull up and foward on the seat.

Remove these two that are exposed after you remove the seat.

About 10 minutes later you have this

This is my new license plate light/ Fender eliminator

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first time it took a little while to figure out how everything was. I've taken it apart about 10 times now. Now i can do it with my eyes closed.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
the only thing i would add to your instructions, is the front right of the tail section, you need to pull out on the plastic some, so that you dont break the plastic tab there. i know from experience. epoxy is your friend

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks...
I made it from a piece of sheet metal. The light i got from uniqeleds.com. I just measured everything and marked it and cut it down. All together it cost me about 10 bucks. And i used the two screws that i removed from the back to replace the reflectors in the front.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Originally posted by kawirider86
I hate those damn pop em things... how the fuck you put em back in? :D
Pull the center pin all the way out, stick the rivet in, then while holding the rivet in place, push the center pin in until it's flush.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,401 Posts
Man...that's a little more complicated than it is on the 03/04 636...you pull the rear seat off, one bolt to free the locking lever that you slide over to be able to lift up the drivers seat, then it's just 2 small bolts under the passenger seat and a bunch of push rivets underneath.

But it's things like this that make me love my Ducati. To remove the tail: the key lifts the whole tail/drivers seat. Disconnect the quick-connect plug for the tail lights, and pull the two plastic pins out of the tail hinge and the whole rear tail/drivers seat pulls right off as a unit. Another 10 seconds with DZus fasteners and the side fairings are gone. It's nuts. Unfortunately, things go down hill from there. lol

·
Registered
55 Posts
Back when I out my integrated tail on those plastic rivet things took me awhile to figure out too. Ive taken it off a few times now and its getting smoother, it still takes some adjusting to get it on. This write up would have been nice then though. Good write up.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have the same set up, unfortunately the 3 of the led's are dead after 2 weeks. I have for almost 5 months now with only 2 led working, still bright enough for me not to get pull over.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, i only did this temporary until i get a exhaust and a integrator.

I got all winter to Mod ... MUUAAHHHHHHAAAHAHAHAH

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.