Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided I'm gonna correct the roughness of my 1st into 2nd gear shift. It clicks into gear and/or misses the shift. I've just about decided that it's a combination of internal wear and rider error making it worse. I love the 636 so much, I'm gonna crack open the tranny.

I have much mechanical experience, but never with a sportbike gearbox. What can I expect??

What parts should I expect to need?

Any links/ pics would be appriciated.

Any suggestions for parts suppliers with good prices would be great.

Can I do this with the tranny still mounted inside the frame?

Any and all info would be appriciated.

And yeah, I'm gonna work on making sure I clutch BEFORE I shift into 2nd from now on. Make sure I firmly shift. I also adjusted my shift linkaged and got shorty levers to help but it's just not correcting the problem. I'm also NOT gonna run full synth anymore after the repairs.

Anyone who's done this plz help me out! THANKS

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
ummmmm get a performance shift star?

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
dude your going to have to remove the entire engin and tranny, this is major man

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Motor comes out, it's easy..
You can flip it upside down and go through the bottom. This way you don't have to take apart the entire motor.
I would advise having an expert check out ALL gears, both input and output shaft. I would also inspect the drum and shift forks. You could have damage on a lot more than just the one gear (most of the time this is the case)
You get a 15% discount through us for being a forum member.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've done major things before on cars/ trucks. A bike can't be too hard.

TRIG--
Yeah, I've adjusted my clutch lever, there's only about 1~2 mm of play. I also got Pazzo shorty adjustable levers and it allowed me to adjust my clutch lever so that it requires a lesser amount of lever travel until it fully disengauges the clutch. This amount is very small when compared, but still...every little bit helps. Apparently it didn't help enough tho.

I do not want to put my bike in a shop. I'm broke as a joke. Thanks for the offer, but I live in south MS-- not CA. There are no shops around here that could do a better job than I could do myself. I just need some guidance. The way I see it is after I tear into this thing, I'm one step closer to being that expert. Anyone know where I can buy a transmission service manual? Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.