Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Powerhungry
38,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for everyone thats ever wondered.
this is from the 2006 michelin motorcycle tire guide.

"REPAIR: In the event of a puncture, only a professional tire dealer can properly conduct the internal and external examinations necessary to determine whether the tire can be repaired."

so even michelin, a HUGE tire manufacturing company, allows that MC tires can be repaired. if deemed their structural integrity remains intact.
just thought that might help shed a little light, for those that get nails, and are afraid to have patched. or are being told that they cant be.;)

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
What they look for is that the object did not cut a belt in the carcass of the tire. More small nails and what nots wont do that. I could maybe see a large bolt damage the belts or cords. I ahve patched almost every tire I have ever got a nail in with no ill consequences.

·
Powerhungry
38,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yep, i'll patch every one, just so long as no cords were damaged.
and be carefull plugging tires, the tool used to put in the plug, generally will cause more damage then the original nail, or whatever.

i just figured id post this up, for those that may be leary, or skeptical, of having their tires patched.

·
Registered
536 Posts
$150 dollar tire versus a $10k bike, hospital bills, new gear...hmmmm.Think I'd take my chances by buying another tire. I'll only plug a tire to get me home and back to a dealership for a new tire. You have to remember when a tire gets hot it expands and going 60 to 90mph and getting a sudden blow out isnt worth saving a few hundred bucks. You have one life and many tires.

·
Registered
757 Posts
There's no chance our shop would ever patch a tire. More of a liability issue than anything else. Too much liability.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
I think we're missing the key point of "only a professional tire dealer can properly conduct the internal and external examinations necessary" in that statement.

There are two things I don't fuck around with - helmets and tires. For obvious reasons. The fact is that most tires come with warranty programs anyway AND nearly every tire company out there runs deals for free tires.

Tires are your only connection to the ground. If you wanna fuck around with that shit that's your call. But I'd rather "waste" the $150 or so (unless I have a free tire sittin around) to replace it.

G

·
i wont think twice about plugging one of my bike tires. its worked w/o problems so far on 2 occasions

car tires on the other hand i'd rather patch

·
Powerhungry
38,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by ninjakid04636
i wont think twice about plugging one of my bike tires. its worked w/o problems so far on 2 occasions

car tires on the other hand i'd rather patch
find a good shop, have them patched.
honestly its much better than a plug.
i am an experienced tire professional, and i know that a (MC)tire can safely be patched. in fact i got one from a member here, cuz it had a nail!
but it needs to be takin apart and inspected, to be sure its going to be safe.
just plunking a plug, well...u just never know of the condition inside.
the plug tool, can be very bad, and possible damage the tire and make it irrepairable. whereas it might have been perfectly fine to patch.

·
Powerhungry
38,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by sneakyws6
What they look for is that the object did not cut a belt in the carcass of the tire. More small nails and what nots wont do that. I could maybe see a large bolt damage the belts or cords. I ahve patched almost every tire I have ever got a nail in with no ill consequences.
+1 smart move there.
granted if its already low on tread, or has been heated, or over heated to the point of damaging the carcus. then def replace it.

i met a guy with a 1095(duc?) that put 2 new pilots due to nails, in a weeks time.
u know the dealer patched them, and some employee got NEW tires for very cheap, or even free!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Well I am getting my pp's tomorrow due to a nail in my front stock tire...so thought what the hell..even if I could patch or plug it...I still wanted new these new tires anyway, so it was all good :D

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
You guys can do what you want, but I would just buy a new one if I got a puncture.

If I every plugged/pateched a tire, I would worry about it too much whenever I was going fast or leaning hard. There are too many things to think about while riding to be concerned about whether the tire will hold up. Plus, even if plugs/patches are "safe", how can you trust the person making the repair to do it right? IMO the $150 for a new tire is worth the peace of mind.

I guess if your just cruising around town, a repaired tire would be ok, but I wouldn't want to push it on one. But isn't that what these bikes are for?

G

·
i plug my own tires. i agree, if u dont do it right, it will leak. but i work at an auto shop so...

btw i will only repair a rear. a front would get replaced.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
It is obvious you all that replace a tire every time you get a little something in thema re made of money, I personally cant afford $250 for a set of tires and then another $30 for mounting both of them every time.

It is also obvious who has worked around tires and knows how the patch system works. As long as a patch is prepped properly and the tire is prepped the patch will not come off. The tire glue they use is a room temp vulcanizing glue, seals permanantlt to the tire.

Keep replacing them, that what they want you to do, just like when dealers tell you that you need to service your valves at 500, 7500, and 15000 miles when the service manual only calls for it at 15,000.

I doubt you all would even bat a eye if you had to patch your car tire and you prob spend more time in your cars than on your bikes and are just as much at risk.

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Originally posted by sneakyws6
It is obvious you all that replace a tire every time you get a little something in thema re made of money, I personally cant afford $250 for a set of tires and then another $30 for mounting both of them every time.

It is also obvious who has worked around tires and knows how the patch system works. As long as a patch is prepped properly and the tire is prepped the patch will not come off. The tire glue they use is a room temp vulcanizing glue, seals permanantlt to the tire.

Keep replacing them, that what they want you to do, just like when dealers tell you that you need to service your valves at 500, 7500, and 15000 miles when the service manual only calls for it at 15,000.

I doubt you all would even bat a eye if you had to patch your car tire and you prob spend more time in your cars than on your bikes and are just as much at risk.
I'm not made of money, tires defineteley put a hurting on my bank account. But I realize that tires are a consumable item and accept the fact that I'm going to be spending money on them. I am spending a fortune on a motorcycle that is one of the fastest and most advanced on the planet. I want a tire that is worthy of being used on it. If you can't afford to regularly replace your tire, you shouldn't have bought a new sport bike.

Your right, I wouldn't bat an eye when patching a car tire but I don't agree that the risks are the same. A car has four wheels and unless your going really fast, a blow out isn't likely to make you crash. A blowout on a bike tire, on the other hand, is likely to result in a crash. It could be fatal even at modest speeds.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I'll plug a tire if out on the road and have to get home. Used a can of "Fix A Flat" once for a tiny staple hole. Couldn't bring myself to reaming that out to plug it. Once home, I'll patch it from the inside and get on with life. As luck would have it, the two of the three flats I've had were found in my garage, so no need to damage the tire further with a plug. I just pulled the wheel, went to the local independent bike shop (not a dealer), and patched it there. All I paid for was an off-the-bike mount and balance ($15).

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'd say anything other than a small to medium hole in the tread would warrent a replacement. Anything like a cut, or in the sidewall and I consider the tire done. If I did decide to patch the tire, I'd dismount the tire from the rim and use a mushroom patch glued to the inside of the tire - not any kind of externally applied patch.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Guys you are missing a huge point in this issue...cycle tires bend, flex, expand and heat up greatly. Car tires pretty much sit flat...motorcycle tire flexes on turns and expands with heat. Its like playing russian roulette but with a bigger barrel...yeah you might get away with it but 1/1000 maybe fail. Want to take that risk over $150 bucks? Come on! I rather park my bike till i can afford a new tire.

·
Powerhungry
38,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by DDJFLW
Guys you are missing a huge point in this issue...cycle tires bend, flex, expand and heat up greatly. Car tires pretty much sit flat...motorcycle tire flexes on turns and expands with heat. Its like playing russian roulette but with a bigger barrel...yeah you might get away with it but 1/1000 maybe fail. Want to take that risk over $150 bucks? Come on! I rather park my bike till i can afford a new tire.
like sneakyws6 said. those in the tire business KNOW.
all tires flex.
and a properly done patch will be PART of the tire.
it is designed to flex along with the tire.
why do you think tire patches were invented?

but i do agree, if you dont have a GOOD qualified person patching them, that could become a problem.
those mushroom patches are VERY good. but for a small(er) hole a standard internal patch will work better.

ofcourse it is up to each individual, to patch or replace.

but if theres any kind of life left, im patching mine, as long as its still safe to do so.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts