Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was riding on way home from work and heard bang so i started to slow down and noticed when i was off throttle there was loud consistent sharp knocks/ticks. when i was on throttle i couldnt really hear anything. after talking to a couple people i ordered a new cam chain tensioner and installed it and started bike back up with new oil and STILL have same noise! could this mean timing jumped and skipped a couple teeth or valves are bent? PLEASE HELP ME! i need to know what to look for now that i replaced cct. thanks a bunch for any help guys!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
... so you were just tooling along and not getting on it ..? anyway... what did your clutch basket look like ?... and was there any metal in your old oil.?.. think.. if it runs good... just makes noise when your coasting... sounds secondary ... not primary... help any ?.. good luck

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there was load on the motor. probably 8000 RPM. nothing at all in the oil. i even flushed a couple more quarts through to be sure.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
what kind of cct did you put in? manual or auto?

what side of the engine do you here the noise from, left, right, top, or bottom?

·
Veteran Lowsider
20,840 Posts
It may sound like your valves are slapping heavily, I'd go get that fixed ASAP.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i put in another auto cct. noise coing from both sides i believe. i dont want to keep running it to find out. im going to take the head off asap and check valves. i think it may have skipped a little timing too but i dont have a manual to see what factory specs are? could somebody help me out and post the factory specs for timing?

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
i put in another auto cct. noise coing from both sides i believe. i dont want to keep running it to find out. im going to take the head off asap and check valves. i think it may have skipped a little timing too but i dont have a manual to see what factory specs are? could somebody help me out and post the factory specs for timing?
i looked in my kawasaki service manual and it says the ignition timing is from 12.5 degrees BTDC @ 1300 rpm to 35 degrees BTDC @ 4600 rpm, valve timing inlet open 58 BTDC, close 82 ABDC duration 320 degrees, exhaust open 62 BBDC, close 34 ATDC duration 276 degrees, hope this helps u out

·
Registered
65 Posts
Try a manual CCT. My mechanic said that the auto CCT just doesn't get to that next level of tightness. You may need to go tighter then the the auto CCT will go.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hopefully u didnt bend the valves which is what it sounds like. If you did you are going to need to replace all the bent valves in the head. You wont see metal in the oil if the valves are bent. Hopefully you didnt do damage to the pistons. If you had the engine out of time then you most likely fucked the valves up. As far as I know the motor in our bikes is an interference engine so if it is off at all then you definitely bent the valves. Hopefullly this isnt the case but that is exactly what it sounds like bro. Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I have never seen one 636 on this forum or in person yet that has had a cam chain tensioner fail and acutally jump a tooth from slack in the cam chain. I myself have seen a cam chain tensioner fail right infront of me on a older 600 ninja and the motor still ran. You will be surprised how tight the chain is on the cam sprockets even without tension applied from the tensioner.

Did you install the new tensioner right with the right amount of clicks out from where the old one was, the new tensioner technically can't just be bolted right back onto the motor unless you have it adjusted right. I myself am not an expert at using the auto tensioners since I use a manual one which is worry free for the most part once you adjust it.

·
Powerhungry
38,162 Posts
well, its spring loaded. but, you put the spring in, after the cct is in place. if the spring isnt strong enough, or the chain isnt sitting just right, it might go tight enough.

but, thats a tinny rattle sound, not a knock. and its mostly on the right(throttle) side.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Your valves probably just need adjusting. Take it to a shop and have them do it.

Prolly cost $250 ish. Or if you have a caliper, feeler gauges, and a service manual you can do it yourself. Figure out what size shims you need and goto a bike shop and buy/trade the ones you need.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts