Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Petcocks sometimes break off when removing tanks in a hurry or turning the knob to quickly. This is how I replaced mine on a 2001. Im guessing 98-02 is similar.

1. Its best if the tank does not have any or very little gas. Remove all the bolts from the tank, but DO NOT disconnect the fuel line that runs to the petcock.

2. Place a bucket on the left side of the bike where the petcock is. Have a extra set of hands to lift the tank carefully, so that you do not break the hose connected to the petcock.

3. Using pliers, move back the clamp that holds the fuel line on the petcock. Slowly pull of the fuel line, making sure you dont tear it. Also remove the small hose connected on the rear of the tank.( The one that runs all the way to the tail of the bike)

4. Place or have someone hold the tank over the bucket, so that any gas left in there falls into the bucket.

5. Remove the two bolts holding the petcock to the tank. This is where gas, if any, quickly pours out.

Note: When i removed mine, thick orange liquid came out also. I rinsed it out with new gasoline.

6. Replace the boken petcock, place tank on bike, plug in small hose, fuel line hose and clamp, then bolt on tank tank.

If i would have known the steps earlier, I would have done it sooner, instead of running out of gas with no reserve to switch too. Hope this helps some of you in the future.

Vin:"I live my life a 1/4 mile at a time"
Arturo:Hahahahhaha...Why?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.