Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is this a easy process? my gas tank on my ZX6R got dented in a trailering accident thankfully that was all that got dented.. however, im going to be replacing it with a brand new gas tank shortly. has anyone done this process before? is it easy? i just dont want to mess anything up.. i couldnt find it in the how to section.. help would be appreciated thanks

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ive had mine for a little over a week and already had my tank off (looking for little things i could tinker with)

Its easy, just remove the 2 panels on each side of the seat, then remove the seat. Now remove the allen bolt on the front of the tank, pivot the tank up like the hood on a car, then disconnect the breather hose, fuel hose, and unplug the pump (under the seat)

Now remove the 10mm bolt/nut on the back of the tank and pull it out!

Im not sure if the fuel pump is a flow through design... So i would recomment draining the tank first.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I just replaced mine last weekend.

Simply remove the tank from the bike, drain the fuel, flip it over and unbolt the fuel pump bolts, and then comes the fun part.

The fuel pump is such a tight fit you will need to caress it to get it out. BE CAREFUL and take your time. There is a small piece of plastic that will be difficult to get past, so be gentle.

After that, make sure you use a NEW fuel pump O-ring, and slide the pump into the new tank. Put some loc-tite on the bolts and torque them down to spec. (87 inch-lbs) Reinstall the tank on the bike.

Next, unbolt the (3) screws that hold the gas cap on the old tank. This is easiest to reinstall with the new tank already mounted on the bike. Be careful not to loose the little rubber grommet that seals the overflow tube underneath!

Even though there are (5) screws in the gas cap, only (3) of them actually bolt it to the tank. The other (2) are just cosmetic, and are very short. Carefully put the rubber grommet in the correct spot on the new tank and then lay the gas cap over it. Loc-tite the bolts and tighten them down just snug. Be sure you align the cap by closing it after snugging the bolts down before you tighten them permanently.

Refill with gas and fire her up! Check for leaks.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, situation changed.. i found out its a lot cheaper getting my gas tank repaired at a collision shop.. but they want me to take the gas tank off for them.. now, do i still have to take out all the o rings and fuel pump out? im such a n00b when it comes to fixing these things.. sorry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.