Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
three possibilities....

one is that someone forced the knob on the wrong way.....im assuming you still got the sticker with the arrow thats stuck onto the subframe? normally it should go from ON then off then finally the reserve....its happened more than once that a client has either misread the tap or it was forced on the wrong way...

other possibility its possible that your ON fuel straw is broken and you end up using all your reserve fuel, empty your tank, unscrew the two bolts holding your fuel tap and carefully slide the tap out, if you got two straws one long and one short both with filters fitted to the ends then all is ok....if you got only one short straw or no straws at all then shake the tank about cuz theres something missing! :p

final possibility is that your short reserve straw is blocked with crap.....rare but ive had one that turned out like that...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Tenquo said:
im assuming you still got the sticker with the arrow thats stuck onto the subframe? normally it should go from ON then off then finally the reserve....
What he said. On is fully counter clockwise, off is with the reserve knob horizontal, and Reserve is fully clockwise.

Main straw could be broken, reserve straw clogged with rust or some other junk, petcock valve torqued too far in one direction. Replacement is easy and the parts relatively cheap. Doesn't sound much like a fuel line pinch, should take a few seconds for the engine to catch up after switching over.

·
Registered
86 Posts
on mine when she starts to run out ,I put the reserve on,Pull the choke on for a few seconds.
then off to the next gas station we go!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Yeah ive never had any problems with my reserve, just switch and go.....except the first time i rode my second zx-6r and the main straw was floating about somewhere.....man did it take long to pull the sucker out.....

·
Registered
95 Posts
correct, your reseve tank and the main tank are one in the same... its just a longer straw for "ON" and a shorter one for "reserve"... just think of it like a snorkel. only you want to breathe gas not air haha

·
Registered
38 Posts
well that explains it on my bike, THERE ARE NO STRAWS AT ALL :mad: previous owner was a id10t about bikes and had my bike apart before i bought it

·
Registered
2002 ZX6R
26,947 Posts
correct, your reseve tank and the main tank are one in the same... its just a longer straw for "ON" and a shorter one for "reserve"... just think of it like a snorkel. only you want to breathe gas not air haha
Um, I think you got that backwards. Longer straw should be for reserve as its reaching deeper into the little "sump" of the gas tank.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Nah, I think thats right. The "straws" pint straight up, therfore the shortest sees gas the longest.
right. theres 2 straws... shortest gets the gas from the bottom of the tank aka reserve. longer one is the regular ON. i dont run a reserve on mine... i dont have the straws either i took them off and just leave it on all the time and ifi run out on my own stupidity i deserve to get stuck. i always try to keep it full . i have no gauges to keep track of anything.. so i just kinda wing it!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
i think i have the same problem as the OP. i've run out of gas 3 times on my bike so far. never bothered to see if the straw came loose though. i just reset my trip meter every fill up and then once i get close to 100 miles i fill up. most times i do it before then but sometimes i have to push it a little bit. i think i may have to add taking the gas tank apart to my to do list for this weekend.

·
Registered
270 Posts
right. theres 2 straws... shortest gets the gas from the bottom of the tank aka reserve. longer one is the regular ON. i dont run a reserve on mine... i dont have the straws either i took them off and just leave it on all the time and ifi run out on my own stupidity i deserve to get stuck. i always try to keep it full . i have no gauges to keep track of anything.. so i just kinda wing it!
thats hardcore... lol

·
Registered
63 Posts
i don't understand why you would alter the stock setup. why bother removing the straws? it doesnt save any weight or add any performance. also, its nice to be able to get home once out of gas. please correct me if there is some sort of gain to running the system with no straws.:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts