Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, this is my tale of restoring a beaten-on, stunted, broken ZX6R back to its former sleek sexy self. Along the way I decided to upgrade where ever possible, so hopefully when it's done it'll keep up with some of the newer bikes.

I obtained it in an extremely impulsive trade with one of my friends when he rode it over to my apartment. An hour later, he drove my '98 Dodge Ram on 42 inch TSl's home and I kept the Kawi.

The day I got it:

The bike had no gauges, front or lower fairings, a broken frame tab, a stunt cage, and had alot of little issues, but God D%$# was she fast! My previous streetbike experience came on a 1992 Honda Nighthawk 250 packing a walloping 17 HP, so the feeling of having my head ripped off from the G forces was a bit new to me.:D

I saved alot of money the next day, as my friend had the front and lower fairings, headlights, gauges, mirrors, and a yellow helmet for me when i stopped by his house.

The first thing i did was immediately rip of that stupid stunt cage. Take a guess why one of the subframe mounting tabs on the frame was broken off when i got the bike. Yep, the bike fell over with the cage on...and all of the impact when right to the cage mounting point-the frame tab! so much for the cage adding bike protection. :rolleyes:

Then, i needed to make a front fairing repair. I've never attempted any fiberglass repair before, so here's what i ended up with:

A couple weeks later (and after an expensive order from Ron Ayers), my bike looked like this:

Since then i have done even more to heal this bike. I've installed over $80 worth of new factory hardware, $100s in brackets, gas valve, mirror stay, new windshield, engine mounts, etc. It was starting to look pretty original again-- which meant time to modify like hell! :)
First purchase? since i have a bent front rim now, I bought these sick wheels from another member on this forum.

I also just got my order from Sum of All Parts, for these sweet looking sprockets and chain. I had decided to get back near stock gearing, so i went with a 14/42 tooth combo. Currently the bike has a stunt set-up with a 50 tooth rear sprocket (I don't know what the front is). I rode the bike all last summer with this setup, and I can't stand the buzziness anymore. The new rear sprocket look awesome, and i think the black sprocket/gold chain combo will go well with the new black wheels.

I just got the carbon fiber looking aluminum pegs i found on ebay for cheap ($30 for all 4 pegs), and here they are on the bike. I also painted the mounting hardware black. You can see how ugly the old chain and sprocket are here. Also, what do you think of the Vortex sticker? Its just on there with a small piece of tape to see if it's a keeper for now.

Also picked this up, I'm waiting to install it because i plan on checking valve clearances and syncing the carbs at the same time, and i need to get a carb sync gauge still.

My next plans? I am waiting to receive a steering damper from a forum member, and i also ordered brand new Michelin Pilot Power tires to throw on these new wheels. I also intend on totally cleaning the bike as i take it apart for these installs.

My next purchases will most likely be:
a Factory Pro ignition advancer
a new Kawi gas cap decal (if i can find one that i like)
possibly a 03/04 gauge swap
and if i can part with the $250 (lot of $$$), i really want this pro-bolt kit in gold:
http://www.tastynuts.com/acatalog/Kawasaki_ZX6R_G1_G2__98-_99.html#aKITAKA191

So let me know what you think, and if you have any suggestions on cool upgrades. :D

Reactions: woncrzymof0

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Damn, looking good. Was going to asks for the set of rims cheap but you answered my question with the bent front rim. Im loving it dude. Dont know about the gold bolt kit but it looks like you got some awesome things going. Plus building it yourself is making you appreciate it more than you will ever know.

·
Registered
226 Posts
good work man. Let me know how it run with the jet kit, ignition advancer and those sprockets.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Good job so far man. Way to resurrect a great bike. Damn stunters ruinning good bikes lol. I had one as my first bike and loved it. It's fast but forgiving. Keep us posted on the progress. If I had any parts left I coulda helped you out. Here's mine well before I sold it. I do have a rider seat ($50+shipping) that's been re-covered if you need one though.

Habs

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a few updates...

i have received and installed a steering damper i purchased from a forum member (camaroguy72). it was great dealing with him, by the way. here's some pics of the damper installed. it took some time to locate it without it hitting anything else, but as of now i can turn the bars lock to lock, and the damper will only slightly touch the intake air tube cover (not enough to even go through the trouble of modifying the cover).

and i received a big box today... early christmas present for myself to go with those sweet wheels:D

they are pilot power tires, and i decided to go back to stock size on rear (tire that's on there now is a 190, i went with the 180)

quick question:will the ignition advancer require any other modifications if i decide to install one? i have an ivan's jet kit that i will be installing soon, just hoping they will work together flawlessly. thanks

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
sweet

·
Registered
187 Posts
Nice!

Love those wheels....get 'em on quick and take a pic!!!

·
Premium Member
6,225 Posts
rob (camaroguy72) is a good dude, good thing you bought that damper, it saved me from spending the money on it :D the bike looks great bro. :thumbup:

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
The bike looks like it is coming along nicely. Those wheels are gunna be bitchin'

I haven't seen the truck you had obviously, but I think you may have gotten the short end of that trade. Ehh, as long as you like what ya got, that's all that matters.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Coming along nicely. I take it GAS was killing you to make a trade like that.

I have some ZZR parts left over if you need anything. I might have an 05/06 guage cluster in the garage. (Will check tomoorrow)

DO NOT have spare guage cluster.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
here is the truck i traded for the bike:

'98 RAM 1500 she was fun as hell, but needed alot of money invested to make it as tough and reliable as i wanted. she had over 160k miles also, so to be honest i think the deal was even or i ended up slightly ahead.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
i love how that dude is looking over the side like yall are in deep water or something.

'Nope bud, we still got 3 feet til we hit the axles.'

'are we there yet?'

'nope'

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Two words........

Gas

and Prices!!!?

Habs

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i love how that dude is looking over the side like yall are in deep water or something.

'Nope bud, we still got 3 feet til we hit the axles.'

'are we there yet?'

'nope'

that wasn't too bad, but as you can see it's been a little deeper :D
but the truck would have needed many thousands of dollars to get it as capable as i wanted. i definitely made out on that deal.

hopefully i'll get the wheels and tires on the bike some time this week.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Did ya get them on yet?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts