Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 03 636 has 906 miles on it and yesterday I noticed about 1/8th of an inch tan colored residue settled at the bottom of the coolant resevoir. I am wondering if this could be excess sealant from inside the water ports in the engine from the manufactuer, or if I have a more signifigant problem? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
A good flush wouldn't hurt it at all. I didn't have this problem since I replaced the coolant with distilled before it was ever started. Since you're in California and you probably don't have winters; drain out all that anti-freeze and run distilled water. You could add some water wetter if you please. You'll notice the bike runs a little cooler when running straight water.

It is my understanding, however, that a few other people on this forum have had the same problem. I would second your idea that it would be excess sealer or just left over crap from the manufacturing process.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
It is probably not a good idea to run distilled water in a street bike. Anti-freeze not only provides freezing protection but also provides lubrication to the water pump and corrosion inhibitors to prevent corrosion of internal aluminum parts.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Originally posted by swjohnsey

It is probably not a good idea to run distilled water in a street bike. Anti-freeze not only provides freezing protection but also provides lubrication to the water pump and corrosion inhibitors to prevent corrosion of internal aluminum parts.
I've run pure water in all my bikes with no problems whatsoever. I didn't know, however, that anti-freeze acted as a lubricant.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, thanks for all the tips ............. I figured that it was nothing. I never knew either that antifreeze had lubricant properties. I ran water in my cars/bikes when I was growing up in Florida. I had several problems with my cars, never with the bikes though. Interesting subject!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Originally posted by Strong Bad

Originally posted by swjohnsey

I've run pure water in all my bikes with no problems whatsoever. I didn't know, however, that anti-freeze acted as a lubricant.
He is right. Antifreeze does act as a lubricant as well as rust,corrision, boil and freezed inhibitor. What would you gain by just running straight water in your bike? Besides a little better cooling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.