Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
you can have respect for your bike but if you dont know the defensive techniques to use to avoid crashes it doesnt matter what size bike you ride. I live in chicago, one of the most congested cities in the US and obviously riding a sports bike in this city is the wrong move to take in the 1st place. Although that doesnt mean Im about to trade in my sports bike though lol. But I hear about 5-10 people going down every month out here and most of the people are 30-40 years old riding harleys. Ive witnessed cars pulling out infront of motorcycles and almost causing the worst situation possible to occur. Almost on a daily basis out here. Ive had two accidents involving other cars so far on my 600 and both times I was at the right rear quarter panel of a car riding past them when they just decided to switch lanes with no signal and no warning what so ever. Both times they left the scene and left me with shit on my hands. I mean honestly the only way to avoid accidents living in a city like this is to just NOT be around any type of car when out riding which is freakin impossible because of all the traffic here. Im also about to give up riding at night because thats when both accidents happened and I 8/10 they were probably drunk as thats what the chicago night life is about.....Having respect for your bike aint enough in some areas....you really need to be fully aware of everything around you at all times or its curtains......

·
Registered
9 Posts
Respect is earned not given. With that said, I'm still working on me and my (new to me) bike's relationship. As I only have about a season's worth of experience from my GSXR, I'm still essentially a newbie despite being licensed for the past 7 years. I know there's a lot to riding than opening up the throttle in the straights, and leaning in the corners, luckily I'm passed that age where I want to go fast, stunt, and show out for the ladies. Now I'm just wanting to enjoy the ride and get home in the same condition as I left out. As for trying to keep up with the liter bikes--they'll just have to see me when I get there.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Respect is earned not given. With that said, I'm still working on me and my (new to me) bike's relationship. As I only have about a season's worth of experience from my GSXR, I'm still essentially a newbie despite being licensed for the past 7 years. I know there's a lot to riding than opening up the throttle in the straights, and leaning in the corners, luckily I'm passed that age where I want to go fast, stunt, and show out for the ladies. Now I'm just wanting to enjoy the ride and get home in the same condition as I left out. As for trying to keep up with the liter bikes--they'll just have to see me when I get there.
thats good youre out of that phase; but fyi, inanimate objects cant give you something only humans can

·
Registered
42 Posts
inanimate objects cant give you something only humans can
Disagree. Some days I enjoy my bike more than the company of people. Enjoyment is a powerful thing and can be derived from many different sources, animated or not. ;)

Now, if that something is an STD...I might side with you. :D

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
thats good youre out of that phase; but fyi, inanimate objects cant give you something only humans can
Bikes are pretty animated once you get them moving :D

Reactions: Glocken

·
Registered
366 Posts
I know there's a lot to riding than opening up the throttle in the straights, and leaning in the corners, luckily I'm passed that age where I want to go fast, stunt, and show out for the ladies.
Im 30, been riding for 13 years, all different size bikes. I still want to go fast, stunt and show off for the ladies! I'm that much of a playboy I'll still be doing that when I'm 60.

Bikes are pretty animated once you get them moving :D
lol

·
Registered
366 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here is my 2 cents.
People will say "The minute you stop respecting the bike, it kills you." I heard this from both my cousins and uncle. They had been riding for years at the time they said this. After dumping a dirtbike a few times i grew to understand.. I was doing things beyond my ability and paid for it. Thankfully the cost was merely a new pair of jeans.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
saying your friends have bigger bikes I need one to keep up is no excuse I have a 636 and my buddies have gsxr 750 yes they leave me off the line but in the long run I keep up because I'm a little better rider than them they haven't had there bike as long as I have mine so I can take corners harder than them so if you learn how to ride your bike right you can keep up might not be in the straight always but you can stay with them. on another note it doesn't matter what you have or how much you say you RESPECT what you have all it takes is one person to not pay attention wether it be you or another person you can get hurt I have a friend that is now brain damaged for the rest of his life because he was on a scooter doing 30 mph when an old man in a car pulled out in front if him and he laid it down slamming his head on the ground

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Posts like this really make me wonder about the riding habits of some people. Is your style of riding just holding the thing WFO down the highway? The notion that someone should be faster on the street because they ride a 750 instead of a 600 is pretty fucking laughable.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Posts like this really make me wonder about the riding habits of some people. Is your style of riding just holding the thing WFO down the highway? The notion that someone should be faster on the street because they ride a 750 instead of a 600 is pretty fucking laughable.

if you read I said they are faster off the line and I can keep up on my 600 never said I ride wide open in straight away and I said the main reason I can keep up is in the curves

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
I'm passed that age where I want to go fast, stunt, and show out for the ladies.
At what age does this happen? I call bullshit.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
if you read I said they are faster off the line and I can keep up on my 600 never said I ride wide open in straight away and I said the main reason I can keep up is in the curves

So you guys drag race on the street regularly?

·
Registered
9 Posts
At what age does this happen? I call bullshit.
Twenty-three for me. When I got my license when I turned 16, I drove around like I was on Daytona. I had a lot of close calls, but never any accidents or so much as a fender-bender (knocking on wood). I told myself I didn't need to get a bike until I lightened up my lead foot. I got licensed @ 23 and bought my first bike 2 years later.

Don't get me wrong, if a hot chick wanted to jump on the back, you know I got an extra helmet for her. But as far as weaving thru traffic with odometer reading triple digits, that's not gonna happen. I'll catch you when I get there.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Point blank. Period. This discussion is over--you hit it on the money with this.
I'm certainly glad that after 12 pages of this thread, you with your 6 posts feel that you are qualified to have that opinion much less voice it openly. :Bowdown:

101 - 120 of 153 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.