Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post! I just bought a ZX-6R for my wife, and would like to reduce the rev limiter on her bike so there are no "mishaps" as she gets used to the bike. Possibly even some kind of throttle stop mechanism. I did some research and found a product called the Dyna Rev Limiter, but the dealer is telling me that they can't use that product because the ZX-6R is fuel injected, and they think it won't be good for the bike. Any comments on that or additional ideas? It would give me better peace of mind to have the bike adjusted to a rev limit of around 10,000 rpm for the first little while. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
It is possible to limit those bikes. I know that in England, for example, they put limiters on the supersports for people w/first tier licenses. I'm pretty sure that you have to buy a device to accomplish this though...

Edit: I'm not sure that this is her first bike guys. The OP just mentioned her get used to this bike...

If it is her first bike, then it obviously isn't the ideal choice, but if you're gonna stick w/it, then some kind of limiter would def. be a help (imho).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is possible to limit those bikes. I know that in England, for example, they put limiters on the supersports for people w/first tier licenses. I'm pretty sure that you have to buy a device to accomplish this though...
Thanks for your input. I figured I would get a lot of the "are you crazy" responses (which I have), but your response helps point me in the right direction. Effectively rev limiting a 6R will result in a much less powerful bike, that she can progress into. I know that it can be done, just not something that is common. If a rev limit can be increased, there is no reason why it can't be decresed. As for the people that said "buy a 250", that is fine idea, however, I got the 6R for only a little more than what people are asking for 250's (which is crazy), and if the 6R is rev limited, it will be safe and be a bike she can grow into. I will not let her ride the bike without a revised rev limit. It's only a matter of finding the right solution (Power Commander, ECU remap, throttle stop, etc.).

·
Powerhungry
38,158 Posts
do you have any idea how fast that bike will go @10,000 rpms?
and to reduce it even further would severly limit/reduce rideability. and possibly make it even more dangerous.

and who said anything about buying a NEW 250. ive seen LOTS of the previous model going for well below $2,000.

but...ok, as collin said, apparently it can be done. ive never heard of such a thing.

·
Registered
626 Posts
ive seen that in Europe they have restrictors that effectively reduce the engine power to around 30 HP. that would be more likely the course of action you would want to take if you can find out how they do it. this was on an older ZX6 though, so im not sure about new ones.

i know my girl wanted me to teach her how to ride on my 600, and i told her hell no! she has ridden a 250 a bit though, but is still too inexperienced for my ZX6. i could see her pinning the throttle and flying into something!

·
Andre 3000
1,092 Posts
Whats done is done. He already has the bike. Your wife has a brain just like the rest of us. She would probably be more cautious as well.

You could try the kit ecu. I think it can be used to raise the limit. Might be able to use it to lower. They are expensive though. I do think a different type of restrictor would be best. The bike screams to what ever you set it to high or low.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
ive seen that in Europe they have restrictors that effectively reduce the engine power to around 30 HP. that would be more likely the course of action you would want to take if you can find out how they do it. this was on an older ZX6 though, so im not sure about new ones.

i know my girl wanted me to teach her how to ride on my 600, and i told her hell no! she has ridden a 250 a bit though, but is still too inexperienced for my ZX6. i could see her pinning the throttle and flying into something!
Ya, this more like what I was talkin' about. I'm 99% sure that these are available for EFI motorcycles. However, you might have to start looking at overseas web sites to find one...

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Thanks for your input. I figured I would get a lot of the "are you crazy" responses (which I have), but your response helps point me in the right direction. Effectively rev limiting a 6R will result in a much less powerful bike, that she can progress into. I know that it can be done, just not something that is common. If a rev limit can be increased, there is no reason why it can't be decresed. As for the people that said "buy a 250", that is fine idea, however, I got the 6R for only a little more than what people are asking for 250's (which is crazy), and if the 6R is rev limited, it will be safe and be a bike she can grow into. I will not let her ride the bike without a revised rev limit. It's only a matter of finding the right solution (Power Commander, ECU remap, throttle stop, etc.).
So this will be her first motorcycle? If so, make sure that she takes the MSF before riding the bike, and it may also be helpful if you could find a way to get her some seat time on an ATV, to get used to the controls.

Whats done is done. He already has the bike. Your wife has a brain just like the rest of us. She would probably be more cautious as well.

You could try the kit ecu. I think it can be used to raise the limit. Might be able to use it to lower. They are expensive though. I do think a different type of restrictor would be best. The bike screams to what ever you set it to high or low.
I agree. It's done, so no point in second guessing it now. If you can find a limiter (restrictor, whatever), then I don't see a problem w/learning on that bike. However, I'm not as much of a stickler for safety as some of the other members. I just feel like everyone needs to make their own decision about this sort of thing (hopefully an informed decision)...

BTW though Clax, believe me when I say that the other guys only wanna help. I've seen waaaay too many threads about newbs goin' down on sportbikes, and some of these other guys have been on the forum much longer than I. So, you can bet that they just want to spread the word about safety...

·
Registered
479 Posts
She will learn like every one else, with seat time and riding with resposable riders that will ride with her at her level. If you still insist on limiting the rpms this link is what you need. It's used for drag racing and usually gets wired to the clutch but like it says, plug it in and wire the positive or ground to a switched ignition so it is on when the bike gets turned on, thus limiting the rpm while you ride.
http://www.mpsracing.com/products/MSD/Launchmaster.asp

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
please! tell her closed course practice practice practice! it'd bug me out if my gf wanted to ride. I'd be paranoid everytime she left the house. I was experimenting w/ the RPM's on the road last night. There is no way (legally) these bikes need anything above 9RPM. I'm in the 4.5 -7.5 range 90% of the time. That 9.5 - 20 RPM sure is fun tho :D

·
Registered
626 Posts
please! tell her closed course practice practice practice! it'd bug me out if my gf wanted to ride. I'd be paranoid everytime she left the house. I was experimenting w/ the RPM's on the road last night. There is no way (legally) these bikes need anything above 9RPM. I'm in the 4.5 -7.5 range 90% of the time. That 9.5 - 20 RPM sure is fun tho :D
quite true...i hardly go past 6K around town. theres just no need to go up to 10K+ on a normal city street! things happen really fast when you get that high in the RPMs...things are much tamer and IMO safer if you stay lower in the RPMs, with plenty of acceleration if you need it.

it is fun to wind the bike out though...like when getting on the highway!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the responses guys. She has already done 3 different courses (one intro course, and 2 courses that cover all the skills). Also, she is very careful and cautious. To be truthful, the rev limiter is more for my peace of mind than anything. I spoke with somebody today that said a local performance riding course (track course) uses a manual throttle stopper to limit the amount of throttle that a rider can input, to help ensure they don't use too much power during the course. I think they fab them up themselves, so I am going to try to get my hands on one. And I'll also check out the MPS Racing link. Thanks!

·
Powerhungry
38,158 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys. She has already done 3 different courses (one intro course, and 2 courses that cover all the skills). Also, she is very careful and cautious. To be truthful, the rev limiter is more for my peace of mind than anything. I spoke with somebody today that said a local performance riding course (track course) uses a manual throttle stopper to limit the amount of throttle that a rider can input, to help ensure they don't use too much power during the course. I think they fab them up themselves, so I am going to try to get my hands on one. And I'll also check out the MPS Racing link. Thanks!
i was going to suggest a manual throttle limiter.
but that could actually be dangerous. if she NEEDS to get out of the way(it happens often) but yet shes limited to say 50% throttle. thats 50% less acceleration also. it only takes a sec for things to go bad.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i was going to suggest a manual throttle limiter.
but that could actually be dangerous. if she NEEDS to get out of the way(it happens often) but yet shes limited to say 50% throttle. thats 50% less acceleration also. it only takes a sec for things to go bad.
That's a good point. I will need to make sure I give her enough throttle to accelerate, but not too much to create a problem. We live in a very quiet area, with lots of country roads, so she will be riding in areas with very little traffic volume. And, she'll be right close to me, with our Bluetooth headset communication. ;-)

·
Veteran Lowsider
20,840 Posts
Saftey courses cannot replace experience, she should start on a low cc bike. I may sound like an ass but she really is in danger starting on a ZX6R. Anyone without a years worth of riding really shouldn't ride this bike. Even that may be too short of time. I think it would be smart for her to get a older used 250cc. It will benefit her safety and her skill will transfer over to the ZX6R when shes more experienced. If she really wants to ride the ZX6R it should be on the track only.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Saftey courses cannot replace experience, she should start on a low cc bike. I may sound like an ass but she really is in danger starting on a ZX6R. Anyone without a years worth of riding really shouldn't ride this bike. Even that may be too short of time. I think it would be smart for her to get a older used 250cc. It will benefit her safety and her skill will transfer over to the ZX6R when shes more experienced. If she really wants to ride the ZX6R it should be on the track only.
I agree, safety courses cannot replace experience. However, I started on a 600, have never had an accident, mishap or even a light drop in the driveway. The biggest problem I see with many new riders is that they "want to go fast". So, what do they do? They crack the throttle. Whether it be a 250, 600, 750, whatever, doesn't matter. They want to be cool, and show how fast they can go. She has no intention of going fast. When I got my first bike, I respected the bike completely, and didn't redline the bike for probably about 6-8 months. The problem with many new riders who get into problems is not respecting the bike, and misusing the power. And then the bike gets blamed! "Oh, he/she shouldn't have started on a 600. Bad decision." The bad decision there was not the bike, but the rider who didn't respect the bike! I agree with many of the points written here, but the bikes aren't to blame for this incidents.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts