Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry for such a n00b question but what happens when the bike reaches redline with out shifting out. does it just bounce off rev limiter? I would assume that the RL is set well below the point where you could incur dammage.
i have only been somewhat close to RL one or two times and am too focused on what is in front of me to look down at the tach when i do.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks trig, i appreceate that [:p]

anyone else want to add something meaningful?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I beleive that is why the RL is there, it cuts power to the engine in the event that you do get that high. THat way there is no permanant damage to the engine, of course if you abuse her, it might pose some problems down the road.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by trig
If you want to keep your motorcycle forever, shift at <4k rpm and never go above 45mph, like me.
for me, this only applied to day one. i am told i looked like a scared little girl on my first ride home.

now i am in "stage two" somewhere below 12 & 13K :D

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
there is nothing wrong with following the break in recco especially if you are a inexperienced rider

·
Registered
81 Posts
in order to get max power out of these 600s you have to rev the piss out of them, to keep u from reving pass a point where no more power is produced they have a rev limiter, which at a set rpm the pcm kills the fuel and ignition. these motors are designed to handle high revs. its true if u baby it, it will last longer. but how much longer? keep the carbon out the combustion chamber and rip that ish.
[:M110]

·
Registered
891 Posts
Originally posted by uuc328
there is nothing wrong with following the break in recco especially if you are a inexperienced rider
IMHO the break in period is for the rider, not the bike. I'm pretty sure these engines are run up to redline and thru the RPM's at the factory.

·
Registered
90 Posts
this might be an off the wall question ... but where does everyones tach starts to bounce ( meaning what rpms) mines starts to bounce at 16500. is that normal?

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
if you are riding a 2005/06 ZX6R it will cut in at 14,700RPM, and be dead long before there if you dont do the wre jumper mod.

If you are riding something older not exactly sure on the actual cut off, but what normally happens is you lose fuel (cuts off) or cuts spark and or does both and fires the cyclinders in a skipped rotation. also some pull a shit load of timing during this period.

Anyway you want to look at it, hitting the rev limiter hard IS NOT A GOOD THING!causes an extreme opposit of what is going on..
Like doing a full on sprint and then crossing the finish line and just dropping the anchor...the bike doesnt like it and a good way to cause some valvetrain issues...bounce valves, valve float etc etc
Thats the thing i hate most about the 2003-06 The tach is a POS and inaccurrate..14,700 is more like 15,800 or so...
and you cant read that fucker if the sunis on it..

·
Registered
550 Posts
Originally posted by uuc328
sorry for such a n00b question but what happens when the bike reaches redline with out shifting out. does it just bounce off rev limiter? I would assume that the RL is set well below the point where you could incur dammage.
i have only been somewhat close to RL one or two times and am too focused on what is in front of me to look down at the tach when i do.

Not near as much bounce as older things. My first vehicle with a rev-limiter was an '86 300ZX, and it would bounce, like HUGE bounces in the 1000RPM range. Would damn near break your neck go-stop-go-stop-go-stop. But newer things cut fuel and spark in much more frequent pulses, so the felt effect is much less severe. It basically just stops speeding up. BUT, bikes pull so hard, if you're cranking along in a low gear WOT and run up to it, stopping pulling is damn near as effective at fucking up your ride as hitting a wall. When you get to it, you'll KNOW. Especially if you do it at WOT in 1st and as a result have the front wheel pulled 2 feet off the deck under power. Be prepared to have your nuts meet the tank (or worse.) The limiters are gentle enough now to not cause much stress on the drivetrain - obviously no more so than completely closing the throttle at 14k rpm, but the effect can really screw up your lap time on your favorite road.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The rev limiter is there from the factory to protect their investment.....it's set well below valve float RPM....you can bounce that baby of the RL for a while and it's not going to hurt it any more than typical cyclic wear. The rev limiter drops cylinders in firing order just like the famed MSD cd ignitions. Way smoother. next time around the previously dropped cylinder fired to keep the fuel from loading up like they used to...as previously mentioned on the early rev limited vehicles that would cut fuel or spark iraticaly with the whole herky jerky thang. Just a nice factory shift light is all....:D

·
Registered
486 Posts
Originally posted by the_gooey_1
The rev limiter is there from the factory to protect their investment.....it's set well below valve float RPM....you can bounce that baby of the RL for a while and it's not going to hurt it any more than typical cyclic wear. The rev limiter drops cylinders in firing order just like the famed MSD cd ignitions. Way smoother. next time around the previously dropped cylinder fired to keep the fuel from loading up like they used to...as previously mentioned on the early rev limited vehicles that would cut fuel or spark iraticaly with the whole herky jerky thang. Just a nice factory shift light is all....:D
+1

They test these engines by running them on the redline for hundreds of hours. A quick little touch of the rev limiter isn't gonna do a darn thing :D

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
You're fine if you hit the limiter every once in a while but I wouldn't take advantage of that..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.