Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Industrial giant, Dow Corning, recently patented a new high impact protection textile, that when applied to bikers, would be heaven sent. The newly designed textile protects against high-energy impacts, but does not sacrifice flexibility, ease of use and comfort.

The new textile, named Active Protection System, can be integrated directly into motorcycle jackets or pants, in sharp contrast with existing material (eg Kevlar), that is to be removable (you can not wash Kevlar or gels). The APS material can be washed, so no need to remove from the jacket, it's integrated.

The Active Protection System is breathable, very flexible and weights next to nothing, so when applied to a motorcycle jacket, it gives comfort and freedom of movement.

According to independent tests, the APS material offers 40% more protection than specified in the European Standards for Protection (the strictest in the world).

This means the APS material and its resulting motorcycle jackets and trousers, will be lighter, more comfortable and offer 40% more protection than existing ones.

Impact Protection

According to Dow Corning "When the Active Protection System becomes instantly rigid under impact, it absorbs and distributes energy over the entire protective area. This reduces the impact force transmitted significantly, providing better protection that starts sooner and lasts more than twice as long as rigid systems."

This year will see the first major motorcycle garment manufacturer market APS based jackets. From all the reports I've been reading, I'd say this material is an important and good step for motorcycle riders worldwide. Any invention that increases our survival rate without reducing mobility or comfort is good.. very good!"

http://www.activeprotectionsystem.com/

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ya I saw that stuff on the news, not in motorcycle jackets though. They are supposed to be using it for the military and police because they have made it so it can block bullets. Good stuff. But the price might be high.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That is a very interesting thing they have here. I myself as well, looking for better protection for a decent cost. I guess no matter what protection the best thing to do is just not crash lol

·
Registered
950 Posts
It may hold up to an impact, but how is it going to hold up to a grinding on the road? Looking at the "demonstration" it shows the material become hardened with an impact, but dragging/scraping/grinding isn't an impact. Who wants to be the guinea pig? [:p]

·
Registered
875 Posts
Either way, it could potentially replace the padding in riding jackets and pants. That added to a set of leathers could be great if the price is right and it works as stated.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
great idea. i also saw it on tv as an experimental ballistic armour. hopefully it will work well, and within a few years it will trickle down in price and become more common( just like kevlar has become) kudos to Dow Corning.

·
Registered
562 Posts
If I see it on another rider and it looks good, does its job, then I might jump on the
band wagon. I'm an optamistic...

--Anthony

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
I'd heard of the ballistic applications awhile ago, and it was impressive. Looks very good for bike armor, but I really shudder to think how much they're going to be charging for this stuff... "military & police" applications generally command top dollar price tags, so I'd bet that will translate into big bucks for we mere civilians...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Originally posted by anarion55
I'd heard of the ballistic applications awhile ago, and it was impressive. Looks very good for bike armor, but I really shudder to think how much they're going to be charging for this stuff... "military & police" applications generally command top dollar price tags, so I'd bet that will translate into big bucks for we mere civilians...
That's the case with a lot of stuff when it first comes out, but with good manufacturing the marketing over time the price will come down. I think this is great - imagine a back protector that's really flexible for track riding but stiffens up when you hit the ground. If it works as advertised, it'll be a great addition to the equipment choices we have out there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.