Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you measure the eye-to-eye distance of your old shock after taking it off, you can set the Ohlins to that number and the bike can return to the same setting as before. That is, if no one added or removed shims above the stock shock to alter the ride height from stock.

There's another way to do this to and it's more accurate than trying to accurately measure the eye-to-eye distance. Before removing the rear shock, put the bike up on jackstands under the front foot peg brackets and let the rear tire hang. find some hard point above the rear axle to measure to, the closer this point is to being directly above the axle, the better. If you can't find a good point, stick a piece of tape to the the rear tailsection or frame directly above the rear axle. Hook your measuring tape under the tip of the axle that sticks out from it's nut and measure to your mark. Write that measurement down. Remove your shock and get the eye-to-eye distance close on your Ohlins. Install the Ohlins and repeat the measurement. If it's different than the previous measurement, adjust the Ohlins shock length until you get the same number as you started with.

For some bikes, there is a real good reference point to measure from that is consistent for everyone and people will share their numbers to compare ride heights. Maybe someone will chime in with some numbers for you to try...

Gary M
www.bmgracing.com
CCS SW AM #28
'03 Kawi ZX636R
'00 Duc 748R

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi,

99 ZX6R G2 - how do I measure the ride height & whats the stock settings? I'm fitting my Ohlins this weekend so wanna make sure the bikes set to standard before I start tweaking things

Si

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.