Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a short rider myself (5'4"), I found the '02 ZX-6R better than the '03, 820mm as opposed to 830mm. I believe the R6 is 820mm as well. Gixxers were 830mm or more, Hondas around the 825mm.

I found the '02 the most comfortable of all the 600 sports bikes by a mile.

My apologies for giving these heights in mm, that's all I know them in :)

Red 2002 ZX-6R 636

It's not the speed that kills, it's the sudden stop...

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
all the 600's have pretty tall ride heights for handling issues...

so IMHO the 600SS class bikes are the worst bike for short riders...

ofcourse you could get a zx-6e, that bike has a pretty low seat.

My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!

·
Registered
147 Posts
i have a 28" inseam and i manage on a zx6r (1998). i feel that if i can manage with my shortness, then just about anyone can.

billy m.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi all
Just curious, what's the typical ride height for most 600 class sport bikes.

I remember sitting on my friend's GSXR750(1997) same as GSXR600 (of same year) and the ergo's was not short person friendly.
The ride height wasn't really higher then my zx6r (1996)
but because the gixer's seat was very wide, it used up more leg length.

Just wonder what 600 is best for a shorter rider?

Thanks
Ken

·
Registered
348 Posts
Thanks Cailith for the measurements.

I'm about 5'5&1/2"

I do ok on my zx6r. but rather have my feet more flat.

I just wanted a lower bike so I can take passengers.
Tippy toe with my own weight is "ok"
BUT with a passenger it gets more tricky

My biggest fear is to drop the bike, while carrying a passenger....

·
Registered
128 Posts
kmn5:
You might consider lowering any of the bikes a bit.
My wife is 5'-0" tall. No bike fits her stock, except a Buell Blast, (Yechh). I lowered an '03 ZX-6 about 3-1/2 inches for her. Worked pretty simply. We raised the fork tubes in the clamps as far as they'd go before the taper. The clip-ons mounted on TOP of the top triple clamp, instead of below. This gives her an easier reach to the bars and a much comfier riding position. I had a friend make new "dog bones" which lowered the rear suspension the same as the front was. I then had the stock seat cut out about 1-1/2 inches. The bike handles the same, as both ends lowered the same amount. I've riden the bike, and have not encountered any clearance problems. (I weigh 165 lbs.) However, I'd be leery putting a passenger on it as the front fender is pretty close to the fairing. Hard braking with a passenger may cause contact. You wouldn't have to lower any bike this much, so somewhere in between would work. I chose the ZX because it would handle severe lowering, and is extremely light. I think the R6 would work as well.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Another thing is that when you have a passenger, you have more weight, which means the bike squats more and you're closer to the ground. I can't touch flat foot alone either, but with my girl on the bike I can. And no fat jokes guys, she's only 130...

Jeremy 99 ZX6-R
Look ma, I can ride a two wheeler!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.