Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 zx6r and i'd like to change the rear preload. it has two adjustments, wth?

and drilling holes in the stock pipe, where do i drill to get at least deeper sound?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
There are two different adjustments on the back of the '97. Pre-load is adjusted with the threaded collars on the top of the suspension unit above the spring. Ride height is adjusted by removing the front seat. You will see the bolt that attaches the top of the "shock" under a rubber boot. There is another nut on the other side of that one. To increase ride height you loosen the top one, rock the bike over on the side stand to take the weight off the rear suspension, then move the bottom nut up. When you are done re-tighten the top nut.

I have found that lowering the front 5 mm and raising the rear 5 mm quickens up the handling without inducing any stability problems. You can probably get away with more but I would approach it with caution.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers.... I assume that if i turn the preload adjuster clockwise, i would be giving it more? and counterclockwise i'll be decreasing preload? As I pillioned someone and the front became very unstable.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Unless you ride with a passenger most of the time I would adjust the pre-load to get about 1 1/4"-1 1/2" of sag. That should be O.K. for the occassional passenger also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.