Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who checked out my original thread on these tires here, I figured I would update you guys on how these tires have been to me.

First of all, just like I said only 3.5 months ago when I installed them, they are very confidence-inspiring from the get-go. They have a really neutral profile, which equals a slower turn it, but also a much more progressive turn-in. It feels like you're not turning even when you're leaned all the way over, if you can understand what I'm saying, lol. I took these on my trip to Colorado through rain and snow, and have rode on them through flooding down here. They are a very good wet tire as well. Did I say very good yet? They're awesome!

During the trip and for a little time after I got back, I was running a 32/32 cold temperature like I do with my Metzeler M3's. Well, after playing around with pressures for a couple weeks, I realized that besides other added benefits, Sport Touring tires really do like a bit more air in them than sport tires. I switched to 36/36 and they feel great, all the time. I have even seen my cornering speeds increase on roads that I regularly hooliganize.

The main part that I wanted to say though, since it seems like alot of people think that ST tires should be cheaper than they are because they are inferior to a sport tire's grip/performance, is that my tire wear with these is nuts. I spent a year and a half switching tires every 3000 miles, and now where am I...?

I am at 8250 miles on this set of tires, and when I get the pics up tonight you'll see that it looks like I'm not even halfway through the enormous tread they have.

That's not a typo guys, I will see 15,000 miles out these tires before I pull them off. Find a sport tire that performs "better", and gets that kind of wear for me, mmmkay. $250 bucks for tires that will last me over a year? Glad I'm already signed up!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
the rosso's are showing as only being 17 inchers and the avons are showing only to be 17 and 18 inch :(
looks like i'll have to go with the Pirelli Sport Demon instead, i'd really like to get something with more milage though

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
I'm in the market for new tires as we speak. One of the tires that I've been looking at is the the Rosso's. The rosso's are somewhere between the corsa's and the strada's, is that correct Trig?

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm in the market for new tires as we speak. One of the tires that I've been looking at is the the Rosso's. The rosso's are somewhere between the corsa's and the strada's, is that correct Trig?

Yes.

I don't know much more than that about them, but I do know that I ride the piss out of my bike and my Pilot Powers squirmed more times than the amount of times I anticipated these to, and they didn't.

The "Sport-Touring" title is costing these companies millions. They could drop the name along with their lines of "Sport" tires and no one would notice. ( Aside from getting six times the mileage! )

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
I think that I suggested those back in the day, but I'm probably wrong......a g a i n...... as usual.........

--David

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I am running the same tires on my Ten and i love them.

Generally, the litre bikes are a lot harder on rear tires than the 600cc bikes. How i ride doesnt help either. I have 9000km (5000miles) on my Stradas and i know they still have a lot of life left in them. I wouldnt be surprised if i got to 8000-9000 miles out of the rear... on a litre bike!!!

I've ridden my bike with BT014's and PP's before i switched to the Stradas. Like Trig says, even though they are advertised as a sport touring tire i like them better than either the Bridgestones or the Michelins i ran prior.

My next set will be the Stradas again, no doubt about it.

·
ratherberiding
18,438 Posts
I found that tire wear is also greatly affected by heat and continuious use. The other day when I rode about 200 miles with a track run in the middle on a 100 degree day...my tires were toast......compared to riding 12 hours all day nonstop in the mountains in 70 degree weather which barely pulled off any rubber

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
stradas rule the street

I'm on my second set of stradas, they are great!
but I don't know how you can get so many miles
I have 14.5k miles on my 07 650r

been through the stock tires and 2 sets of diablos
and just put on my second set of stradas.

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts

Twin vs. I4??

Better suspension on the I4??

Different riding styles??

Different surface type(s)??

More/less twisties??

Tire pressure??

Weight of bike & rider??

--David

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

Twin vs. I4??

Better suspension on the I4??

Different riding styles??

Different surface type(s)??

More/less twisties??

Tire pressure??

Weight of bike & rider??

--David

BlackDog, I picked these tires at the last second over the Avons because I saw reports of 15,000 + miles on 650r's at Ninja650.org. I also saw guys putting them on K1200S's and and 1200GS's with bajillions of miles.

I've been a member there since the beginning.

P.S. - Just so you can compare.

This set of tires has been used for about 90% commuting, and the rest balls-to-the-wall riding the streets and back roads.

We got sh*tty roads, I think?

36/36

I weigh 200 with gear on.

Maybe try wearing a helmet, and see if that helps your wear...? :p

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My next set will be the Stradas again, no doubt about it.
+1 Dude.

The only way I will switch to a different street tire from here on out is if someone says they got more miles and better grip on a different tire. This is a perfect tire for the street along with any type of riding, and it easily saves me over $1000 bucks a year with as much riding as I do.

I will most likely be trying these at the track as well.

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
Track worthy as well? Just doesnt sound right. How can tires that hard ( for the mileage you are getting) offer trackriding levels of grip?

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Track worthy as well? Just doesnt sound right. How can tires that hard ( for the mileage you are getting) offer trackriding levels of grip?

The easy answer is...I don't know.

Pilot Powers slip at the track and on the street, and give goofy non-existent feedback, yet people run them draggin' a knee at 130 mph.

Why?

Or, here's an even better question. How many times have you out ridden your tires, and there's no doubt in your mind that the only thing that was wrong was your tires level of grip. How do you know that you don't have much more tire than you need?

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
Only once have I thought I could outride my tires and those were some old Dunlop qualifiers. Pilot powers offered (2 ct were a huge improvement) more grip , feedback, faster turn in and they allowed me to do some braking while leant over. Dunlop would stand the bike up if I thought about braking in a corner. I run lower TP than you but dont get how you have more feedback and performance from a tire designed for touring...

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't know.

I can't say they'll work as awesome on the track, but sometimes I find myself riding very close to the same way on the street, and they've never let me down. I'm more than willing to try them out there.

I think one of the deals is, that since it's a slightly harder compound, it still gets really hot and sticky, but it can go through a bunch more heat cycles than normal sport tires can before they start getting squirmy on the track.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts