Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i got no car so my bike is the only way i get around and living in florida u can only avoid rain so long. is there anything i should be worried about besides idiots in cages and lubeing the chain??

·
Registered
237 Posts
When it 1st rains the roads will be more slippery so just take extra caution when on the street when it 1st rains.
Also be gentle as possible and only use the brake force you need for too much in the rain will cause you to lose control or lowslide easier then when roads are dry.
Lastly where gear and a rain coat over that for just a t-shirt will be painful when traveling at highway speeds.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I live a bit south from you, so I get to deal with the rain as well occasionally. About a month ago I had to ride home from work in a downpour. I wasn't looking forward to it, but it ended up being on of the best rides I have ever had, I absolutely loved it. Fortunately there were almost no cars on the road at the time, so that probably made it more enjoyable, but it was a blast. The rain didn't bother me because I had gear on, it just made it an amazing ride. Downside? I was soaked. But since it was riding home I didnt care.

2micro4u listed most of what I can think of as far as added safety.

Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i got caught in a downpour the other day i did not mind gettin wet though the rain stings like a bitch on open skin. i was just a lil concerned after about the bike n if ridein in the rain damages it
thanks 4 the info

·
Registered
315 Posts
Just make sure the chain is kept lubed up. I've ridden in the rain quite a few times in the last 3 months and there doesn't seem to be any issue. Most if not all of the metal parts are painted so there should be little chance of rust. If you want to be really anal (and you have a garage) you can dry it when you get home.

Question: The manual states that the air filter should be cleaned a re-oiled every time you ride in the wet. Is this true??? I haven't done that.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Dont ride in the center of the lane where all the oil is and the lines in the road become slippery too. Also, its the most slippery when it first starts to rain

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
You have to be very deliberate in your control imputs. Anticipation is everything. No sudden moves or dramatic leans. Be very careful crossing railroad tracks and stay off of any painted lines or markings on the street. Either could make the bike come out from under you. Engine brake when you can and keep your eyes farther up the road than you normaly do so you have plenty of time to stop gradually.

·
Registered
46 Posts
im in fort lauderdale just like scrait and the rain isnt even a problem anymore. i've learned to deal with it. position 1 or 3 in the lane is the obvious choice. just dont ride like jackass and you'll be fine. :Dand yes rain feels like bullets if you're not wearing gear...no fun

1 - 12 of 12 Posts