Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Harleys even............

http://www.whotv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5233563&nav=2HAB

Des Moines, August 3rd, 2006 - Charges have been filed in a deadly motorcycle crash in Des Moines. The accident happened near Gray's Lake on Fleur Drive.

Officials say 36 year old Joyce Nelson of Des Moines was killed last night when the motorcycle she was operating collided with a semi that was turning into Waterworks park. Police say Nelson was traveling at a high rate of speed when the accident happened. Police say Nelson was not wearing a helmet.

Authorities have now charged another motorcyclist with vehicular homicide. Police say 54 year old Mark O'Donnell of Urbandale and Nelson were racing.

This is the metro's 12th motorcycle fatality this year.

·
Registered
748 Posts
they reported that the other rider and passenger left the scene... jackass.
but still, vehicular homicide for racing?!? that sux. hope he has a good lawyer.

the way some districts interpret racing... when two or more motorcycles are travelling above the posted speed limit, you're racing. doesn't matter if you're trying to overtake the other rider or not. imagine being on a *spirited* group ride and someone crashes and dies... who goes to jail? everyone or just the lead rider?

·
Registered
315 Posts
here is another link to the story http://www.kcci.com/newsarchive/9620368/detail.html
where that happened at its pretty easy to get up some speed since the road is pretty flat going by grays lake with just a sweeping corner, plus its right by a college so from what i have always seen its patroled pretty good
its just a bad deal all around[V]

·
Registered
757 Posts
Originally posted by trig
Charged for vehicular homicide because the person they were racing died? I guess nowadays people don't make the decision to race on their own either?

Fucking American Dream. Always someone elses fault.
Whoa, dude, ease up. You NEVER got to make the decision to race on your own ON PUBLIC ROADS.

RE:****** - "spirited group rides" belong at the racetrack.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I never tell people to go with the speed limit, avoid racing on the street, wear their gear or anything like that. But I don't want to hear their bitching when they reap the consequences of their decisions. One rider down - RIP, yet good riddance, Darwin took care of this one. The other one, that fled, is a fucking asshole and ought to be killed. Which he probably will be eventually.

·
Registered
562 Posts
It is the decision of the rider whether he/she wants to race or not. You can't blame it on the rider racing,b/c he didn't hold a gun to his head to make him race. That's Ludacris.

--Anthony

·
Premium Member
11,912 Posts
Originally posted by AllBlack636
It is the decision of the rider whether he/she wants to race or not. You can't blame it on the rider racing,b/c he didn't hold a gun to his head to make him race. That's Ludacris.

--Anthony
The rapper Ludacris was the one that was racing??? I didn't know that...

:D

·
Registered
510 Posts
[:M50]

IMO, the whole racing thing doesn't have much to do with the charges. It is due to the fact that the guy fled the scene of a fatal accident. He could have potentially save that woman's life. What a tool.

People racing Harleys? WTF?

RIP

·
Registered
759 Posts
Originally posted by MadViking
Why not? They spend big money buying Screaming Eagle Stage 1, Stage 2, and Stage 3 kits plus other mods. With enough money, they might even get 120 HP at the rear wheel. They want to compare how well their bikes run just like all the guys on this site that brag about racing or how fast they are.

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Originally posted by MadViking

IMO, the whole racing thing doesn't have much to do with the charges. It is due to the fact that the guy fled the scene of a fatal accident. He could have potentially save that woman's life. What a tool.

RIP
Vehicular Homicide isn't exactly a crime that has to do with leaving a scene of someone elses accident...

Sure this is america and we have to blame someone else for it, but blame em for the right crime.

And with this type of mentality...why isn't the trucker being charged for pulling out in front of a pair of obviously racing motorcyclist? I mean come on, how retarted can we get.

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
Moloko.....+1

Garry.....+1

Thanks for making it easy for me. Most of what I think has already been typed by these two.

--David

·
Registered
114 Posts
This is just an all-round awful story. I'm curious to know what the courts will say. I mean, how can someone who may have been riding along side - at the same speed - as the person killed (RIP) could be charged with such a thing? Even the trucker... I wonder if he was at fault for anything there. Very sad...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Originally posted by trig

And with this type of mentality...why isn't the trucker being charged for pulling out in front of a pair of obviously racing motorcyclist? I mean come on, how retarted can we get.

Apparently so retarded we forget how to spell shit correctly when we're trying to sound smart. Shut your hole.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,401 Posts
IMO, the woman chose to race. What if she was the one that instigated it? The other guy let the peer pressure get to him, and now he's being charged with homocide. At the most, he's an accessory to vehicular homocide. Regardless of what the LETTER of the law says, IMO, Vehicular Homocide charges should be limited to those who specifically strike an individual with the vehicle that they are piloting, directly causing that individual's death. Should the other guy get charged with something? Sure. Leaving the scene of a fatal accident that he was a part of. But it's not his fault that she died. People have free will, you know? I mean, I can't count the number of times that I've turned down a race on public roads. And riding without a helmet? Come on, guys ... the deceased, sadly, wasn't the brightest crayon in the box.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Originally posted by moloko

<snip>
RE:****** - "spirited group rides" belong at the racetrack.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I never tell people to go with the speed limit, avoid racing on the street, wear their gear or anything like that.
<snip this part that totally missed the point>.
well isn't this a bit of contradiction in one post????

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,401 Posts
Originally posted by ******

well isn't this a bit of contradiction in one post????
I guess out of context it's a contradiction. The point behind what he said isn't really contradictory, though. The "i'm not going to tell you blah blah" was basically "i'm not an asshole", to paraphrase.

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
Thats bullshit, the guy didnt make her race. That was her choice. I wonder what the AMA thinks about this?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I see cops there all the time so I dont know why they'd be doing that there in the first place, but thats ridiculous anyway.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.