Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a ticket an hour ago for speeding 13 over. I was being tailgated which at the time i didn't know it was a cop, I was going 60 as i always do in a 55 because my bike is really going 57 when it says 60. I got tired of him riding so close behind me so I sped up to 70 to get a decent distance and the ass turned on his lights. When he asked me why i was speeding and i told him he was riding way to close to me he responded with "no i wasn't" and then wrote me a ticket. I'm thinking of showing up at the court to plead not guilty but I'm sure ill waste my time doing so. What a douche though, anyone else ever get a bogus ticket?

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
I got an "unsafe lane deviation" for weaving around a couple nasty potholes....I never left my lane. It got dropped to a "disorderly conduct"...gee thanks...

He indeed tricked you into it...not sure what recourse you have. Been a while since I was in trouble....does a person have a right to the dash tape of the officer if one were to request it as a result of a citation.

good luck

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I got an "unsafe lane deviation" for weaving around a couple nasty potholes....I never left my lane. It got dropped to a "disorderly conduct"...gee thanks...

He indeed tricked you into it...not sure what recourse you have. Been a while since I was in trouble....does a person have a right to the dash tape of the officer if one were to request it as a result of a citation.

good luck
I think you do have a right but plead not guilty anyway cause such a low speeding ticket like that should be dropped to barely anything

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
4 lane, two traveling each way. It 45 mph in town with 6 lanes where I live and then it turns to 55 and 4 lanes all the way through the next town and is only 45mph if you pass through any busy cities.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Just got a ticket an hour ago for speeding 13 over. I was being tailgated which at the time i didn't know it was a cop, I was going 60 as i always do in a 55 because my bike is really going 57 when it says 60. I got tired of him riding so close behind me so I sped up to 70 to get a decent distance and the ass turned on his lights. When he asked me why i was speeding and i told him he was riding way to close to me he responded with "no i wasn't" and then wrote me a ticket. I'm thinking of showing up at the court to plead not guilty but I'm sure ill waste my time doing so. What a douche though, anyone else ever get a bogus ticket?
They cover this in drivers ed, MSF, and other places, under no circumstance is one permitted to exceed the speed limit. If he was tailgating the proper thing to do is pull off the road or get into a slow lane and let the tailgater pass. Speeding up only invites the tailgater to speed up also and if the driver is drunk they are more likely to be fixated on your bike and trail it just because your a focal point on the road.

good luck
I would have appealed that ticket, if I didn't cross the lines marking the individual lanes then I wouldn't have tolerated any ticket. Legally the entire lane is the riders and you can be in any part of it and shift to any part of it. You don't even have to signal to do so. At best the cop could only have said they thought I was drunk and pulled me over for that reason, anything else I would have had dropped or otherwise appealed it.

You can request any evidence they have against you so yes you can bring in the dash tape to court. No guarantee it's gonna have what you want on it though. Not all places use video cameras nor do all the places that have them run them continuously (when the lights aren't on).

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a question since this is my first ticket. I'm sure my insurance will go up because of it, but will i pay more on top of what I've already payed for the year, or will it just go up when i pay for next years insurance?

·
Registered
80 Posts
i got a ticket that really pissed me off in myrtle beach, i had a horrible law enforcement experience there. that goes like this...
we got there late night/early morning on a thursday so we slept in the car until time to check in at the hotel. we got out to ride that day after we got our room and unloaded the bikes around 3pm or so. after riding around a bit we was cruising down one of the main hwys (can't remember which one, but the main one that goes through that area) we both are going the speed limit, staggered a bit, both of us stock 600cc bikes-including exhausts, and are so relaxed that we only have our throttle hand on the handlebars. suddenly i hear sirens then turn around to find a cop 2 feet behind my rear tire. so maybe he just wants around me, i look him in the eyes and point to myself as if to say do you want me to pull over but he points back to at me and motions over to the center lane of all places. after pulling over he walks up to the bike and asks if i knew why he pulled me over, i said, "i have no idea officer, i wasn't speeding i know that much" then he asks me, "where are your mirrors?" i say i had one break loading the bike to come down to myrtle beach(another story but anyways)therefor i just took the other one off to make the bike symetrical. he then informed me it was against the law in the state of south carolina for motorcycles or any other vehicle to not have rear view mirrors. i told him i'm only in town for the weekend and next time i will make sure to have them on the bike but he hands me a ticket anyway for 125 bucks(holy shit) for no mirrors?! the next day we are cruising the opposite direction down the same highway until we get backed up in traffic. with police officers on foot patrolling the sidewalks and gathered at every corner side street, i continue to roll along at the pace of 5 feet every 5 minutes. we start moving and i take off but notice people yelling; i have four cops on foot chasing me from the previous corner telling me to pull over!!! they finally get me to just pull over to the curb so they can stand on the sidewalk since its bumper to bumper traffic and ask me if i have a weapon on me. well, i didn't have my handgun on me because my trunk isn't large enough to stow my weapon. instead, i put it in my buddy's seat (who has a 04 gsxr600). we both have our carry and conceal license in our home state of indiana and we both know it's illegal to carry a weapon on your person in the state of south carolina. however, you can keep it in your vehicle (this is why we put them in our bike seats). anyways i had my empty holster on my belt(so i can transport my gun to and from my hotel room). he said that's why i was pulled over, because another officer noticed it(my empty holster) while i was stopped and they wanted to make sure that i knew the law. i told him yes and he continued to ask me other stupid cop questions and ran my name to make sure i didn't have any warrants then sent me on my way. which brings me to the last day(sunday). me and my buddy, again just sitting in traffic on ocean blvd. or the strip as its called there, had our engines completely shut off we had been sitting in traffice for so long. once again i happen to turn my head and notice a cop pulling up behind me with his lights on pointing his finger at me to move to the curb. so once again i pull over and guess what he asks, where are your mirrors son? i said, "i'm sorry, honestly officer. i know it's illegal. i found that out a couple of days ago here's my ticket i recieved." so i handed him my ticket and he read it and asked, "if you got this ticket 2 days ago, why haven't you got mirrors on your bike yet?" so politely i replied, "officer gas costs $4 a gallon and we drove a fulll size truck down here towing a trailer with 2 motorcycles on it. i already have to pay $125 for the other ticket and we paid $400 for our hotel room, not to mention we have to drag that trailer with our 2 bikes on it behind that full size truck all the way back to north central indiana. i swear if i knew it was illegal, i would of made sure i had mirrors. but i'm only 24 years old and i'm not a rich brat, so i just simply can't afford to go out and buy a new set of mirrors right now. it was hard enough scraping money up to get down here. i'm not trying to get an attitude with you honest to god!" and he told me if he was a state trooper like the one that gave me the first ticket, i would have another one from him. but i guess he felt nice, so he asked when i was heading home. i told him this was our last little ride before we loaded up and left the state. he answered with, "thats a good idea, take this bike back to hotel, get this bike on that trailer, and get out of this state before you get another ticket."

god i hated those cops!!! they completely ruined my trip!!! on top of that i had about 100 bucks stolen out of my hotel room by some maid!!! it just pissed me off so much because each time i was pulled over i sat and counted all the bikes passing with no mirrors, extremely loud pipes, popping wheelies, and speeding. yet during black bike week, they mess with the short and young white guy with the stock 600 of which doesn't do stunts, not dumb enough to speed around all the asshole cops, and was surrounded by all the weed wrieking dope sellers there with there huge expensive rims on expensive ass cars that everyone knows they can't afford legally.

by the way if you think that is a racist comment, my best friend i was with while i was down there is black and my fiance i've been with for 7 years is half black. just FYI

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well unless the Judge is a rider as well, he will not understand your reasons. People do not understand that because everyone else drives horribly, you must ride a certain way to stay alive.
Best bet is just pay the fine. I am sure it will be reduced and no points no insurance hike.

·
Powerhungry
38,368 Posts
They cover this in drivers ed, MSF, and other places, under no circumstance is one permitted to exceed the speed limit. If he was tailgating the proper thing to do is pull off the road or get into a slow lane and let the tailgater pass. Speeding up only invites the tailgater to speed up also and if the driver is drunk they are more likely to be fixated on your bike and trail it just because your a focal point on the road.
i will say this, FUCK THE LAW.
IF my ass in on the line, and im feeling that my life IS in danger. i WILL do WHATEVER it takes to remove myself from the situation.
and you can speed. i think when overtaking a slower vehicle is the only time its allowed..but still..there it is.

so..a drunk driver focuses on him..so you want him to pull over..so he can be followed? then take a greater risk of slowing down, and being rearended? that doesnt make any sense.

it was BS for the cop to do that. entrapment maybe?

def fight it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Id love for him to go in there and tell the judge.

"My motorcycle is a very capable machine. My braking is at least twice as quick as a police cruisers, if I had to slam on my brakes for some unforeseen circumstance he would have hit me for sure. Therefore, I will be happy, judge, to pay the exact same fine that you will impose on the officer for violating the law and putting my life in danger. I realize, sir, that my speeding on a much more maneuverable vehicle, is less dangerous to the general public than the officer tailgating motorists at highway speeds, but my pocketbook will make the sacrifice of matching the more expensive fine for the more dangerous violations committed by the officer following me as my apology for violating the law."

·
Registered
82 Posts
the same thing happened to me but in a car.....he was ridding my ass so i changed lanes.....so did he....so i went back to the other lane....so did he and every time he got closer so i took off so he would stop riding my ass and he fliped on his lights.......i tryed to get out of the ticket but it didnt happen

·
Registered
295 Posts
ALWAYS dispute the ticket whether you do it showing up in court or writing a letter. Very, very good chance that it will be downgraded at the very least if not dismissed completely.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Do not under any circumstance try to justify your actions in front of the judge, it will only be taken as an admission of guilt. That situation sucks, it's like being targeted then instigated into speeding, but please remember it's the speeding itself that is under question. The judge won't care about the reasoning.

If a cop pulls that on you again take the speed down a notch and follow traffic laws to a T, that way they know you see them and they usually give up and move on. If they continue to bother you at least you didn't give them anything to nail you with.

I've had a cop intentionally follow me several blocks down some side streets right to my house, made me feel like shit but I'll be damned if I gave him a reason to write a ticket. Speed under the limit, foot down at every stop sign, signals for every turn, no choice for him but to keep on driving when I turned into my driveway.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
i got a ticket that really pissed me off in myrtle beach, i had a horrible law enforcement experience there. that goes like this...
we got there late night/early morning on a thursday so we slept in the car until time to check in at the hotel. we got out to ride that day after we got our room and unloaded the bikes around 3pm or so. after riding around a bit we was cruising down one of the main hwys (can't remember which one, but the main one that goes through that area) we both are going the speed limit, staggered a bit, both of us stock 600cc bikes-including exhausts, and are so relaxed that we only have our throttle hand on the handlebars. suddenly i hear sirens then turn around to find a cop 2 feet behind my rear tire. so maybe he just wants around me, i look him in the eyes and point to myself as if to say do you want me to pull over but he points back to at me and motions over to the center lane of all places. after pulling over he walks up to the bike and asks if i knew why he pulled me over, i said, "i have no idea officer, i wasn't speeding i know that much" then he asks me, "where are your mirrors?" i say i had one break loading the bike to come down to myrtle beach(another story but anyways)therefor i just took the other one off to make the bike symetrical. he then informed me it was against the law in the state of south carolina for motorcycles or any other vehicle to not have rear view mirrors. i told him i'm only in town for the weekend and next time i will make sure to have them on the bike but he hands me a ticket anyway for 125 bucks(holy shit) for no mirrors?! the next day we are cruising the opposite direction down the same highway until we get backed up in traffic. with police officers on foot patrolling the sidewalks and gathered at every corner side street, i continue to roll along at the pace of 5 feet every 5 minutes. we start moving and i take off but notice people yelling; i have four cops on foot chasing me from the previous corner telling me to pull over!!! they finally get me to just pull over to the curb so they can stand on the sidewalk since its bumper to bumper traffic and ask me if i have a weapon on me. well, i didn't have my handgun on me because my trunk isn't large enough to stow my weapon. instead, i put it in my buddy's seat (who has a 04 gsxr600). we both have our carry and conceal license in our home state of indiana and we both know it's illegal to carry a weapon on your person in the state of south carolina. however, you can keep it in your vehicle (this is why we put them in our bike seats). anyways i had my empty holster on my belt(so i can transport my gun to and from my hotel room). he said that's why i was pulled over, because another officer noticed it(my empty holster) while i was stopped and they wanted to make sure that i knew the law. i told him yes and he continued to ask me other stupid cop questions and ran my name to make sure i didn't have any warrants then sent me on my way. which brings me to the last day(sunday). me and my buddy, again just sitting in traffic on ocean blvd. or the strip as its called there, had our engines completely shut off we had been sitting in traffice for so long. once again i happen to turn my head and notice a cop pulling up behind me with his lights on pointing his finger at me to move to the curb. so once again i pull over and guess what he asks, where are your mirrors son? i said, "i'm sorry, honestly officer. i know it's illegal. i found that out a couple of days ago here's my ticket i recieved." so i handed him my ticket and he read it and asked, "if you got this ticket 2 days ago, why haven't you got mirrors on your bike yet?" so politely i replied, "officer gas costs $4 a gallon and we drove a fulll size truck down here towing a trailer with 2 motorcycles on it. i already have to pay $125 for the other ticket and we paid $400 for our hotel room, not to mention we have to drag that trailer with our 2 bikes on it behind that full size truck all the way back to north central indiana. i swear if i knew it was illegal, i would of made sure i had mirrors. but i'm only 24 years old and i'm not a rich brat, so i just simply can't afford to go out and buy a new set of mirrors right now. it was hard enough scraping money up to get down here. i'm not trying to get an attitude with you honest to god!" and he told me if he was a state trooper like the one that gave me the first ticket, i would have another one from him. but i guess he felt nice, so he asked when i was heading home. i told him this was our last little ride before we loaded up and left the state. he answered with, "thats a good idea, take this bike back to hotel, get this bike on that trailer, and get out of this state before you get another ticket."

god i hated those cops!!! they completely ruined my trip!!! on top of that i had about 100 bucks stolen out of my hotel room by some maid!!! it just pissed me off so much because each time i was pulled over i sat and counted all the bikes passing with no mirrors, extremely loud pipes, popping wheelies, and speeding. yet during black bike week, they mess with the short and young white guy with the stock 600 of which doesn't do stunts, not dumb enough to speed around all the asshole cops, and was surrounded by all the weed wrieking dope sellers there with there huge expensive rims on expensive ass cars that everyone knows they can't afford legally.

by the way if you think that is a racist comment, my best friend i was with while i was down there is black and my fiance i've been with for 7 years is half black. just FYI
PM me if your going out there next year...... Bring your mirrors....:D

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Their trying their best to do away w/ bike week in MB. Wish there was another local bike week event so we could just give them their wish. And they can lose all of our business.. On the one hand i understand they wanna revert the week into a family oriented weekend, but the way they try so hard to deter bikers from showing-- its easy to just get outright offended..

To the OP my girlfriend had a similar situation happen to her in her car. She was doing the exact speedlimit (55mph) a cop was tailgating her for a few mins. She finally got pissed & brake checked him. Cop lit her up of course,lol. She got a lil attitude w/ him & told him he was following too close. I'm sure he probably wanted to write her a wicked ticket but just let her go..

·
Registered
131 Posts
The rules are the rules as far as the judge is concerned.You can argue it but you probably wont win.Lesson learned, You should have flashed your brake lights at him first and began slowing down steadily.If he had pulled you then you coulda given him a little attitude for following too close.Hindsight is always 20-20 right.Myself, I have been lucky I haul ass everywhere pretty much.Its only a matter of time.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts