Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im ridin down the street and I think to myself this would be nice if I had some tunes to listen to. The only way to do that is to put those lil buds in my ears and i was wondering on everyones views on riding and listening to your ipod. :cool:

· Registered
982 Posts
Depends on what kind of riding I'm doing..if I'm in town in traffic I won't listen to any music but if I'm out riding corners ill play some tunes

· Registered
194 Posts
But what about the law man. How does he feel about me jammin while im scrapin :)
laws very from state to state. I "rock da tunes" whenever I ride but YMMV

· Ninja Bike Forum Mod
22,532 Posts
You really think that wearing ear plugs or ear buds with low volume is any worse than having a slip on installed without a baffle? It's not, and actually better for your long term hearing to wear ear plugs. I've never heard a car while riding without seeing it first...

· Strat - the Asian edition
12,887 Posts
I don't ride with music. I ride with earplugs in though.

I've ridden with music once and that was a trip from Boston to Laconia. The earplug kept falling out and it was a pain.

But yeah, your local laws may vary.

12,887 Posts
I wont even wear ear plus on a bike let alone listen to music.

Its just not safe not being able to hear the bike and your surroundings well.
Over time, your hearing is going to go and what used to be loud and being able to hear the bike and surroundings will get lower in "volume".

Eventually, it gets to the point where compared to yesteryears, you are wearing permanent earplugs.
So kind of defeats the purpose:dunno:

· Registered
226 Posts
In GA it is only legal to have helmet mounted speakers. Ear buds are a no go, but I have never met anyone who's been pulled over because of it.

· Registered
1,764 Posts
You really think that wearing ear plugs or ear buds with low volume is any worse than having a slip on installed without a baffle? It's not, and actually better for your long term hearing to wear ear plugs. I've never heard a car while riding without seeing it first...
:plusone:

I really need to start wearing mine.....

As for listening to tunes, I used to use my earbuds, but now I run it in to a Scala I have on my helmet. Really nice.

· Registered
3,742 Posts
My helmet muffles the exhaust enough that it doesn't cause hearing damage or decay. Its amazing how much louder the bike seems without a helmet on.

I've heard plenty of cars (and other bikes) causing me to look over and see them. The only reason I noticed a car trying to merge and crowd me out of my lane was because I heard its tires on the asphalt once. (F-er was in my blind spot so I knew she saw me)

Its just something I'll never do and im surprised that so many "safety conscious" people do it. But whatever floats your boat I suppose.. not like I feel the need to debate it or anything.. I just think its weird that people use them or listen to music.

· Ninja Bike Forum Mod
22,532 Posts
A helmet, no matter how good it is doesn't muffle enough to prevent hearing damage. There's a reason that most states allow ear plugs, but not ear buds. I for one won't ride long distances without noise isolating ear buds... Most every time I hop on the iPod is hooked in with buds at a low enough volume I can hear horns and most aftermarket exhausts without issue, it just helps break the monotony of riding at times.

· Registered
1,008 Posts
It's not like earplugs/buds completely block out everything. They muffle the noise from wind/exhaust so you can hear other things around you like cars, sirens, etc.

That's EXTREMELY difficult to explain to non-riders. If I tell them that I ride with them in, they just give me a WTF look like I'm a dumbass. It's just something you can't really grasp unless you experience it first hand.

12,887 Posts
I wear these fancy earplugs that I bought for clubbing. Evenly cuts sound across all frequencies by 15db so I hear the same stuff, just 15db lower.

Things have saved me from so much hearing loss.

· Registered
1,008 Posts
I wear these fancy earplugs that I bought for clubbing. Evenly cuts sound across all frequencies by 15db so I hear the same stuff, just 15db lower.

Things have saved me from so much hearing loss.
uhn tss uhn tss uhn tss uhn tss:D

What kind are they? I know that sometimes even with standard ear plugs or buds my head will ache a bit after a really long ride.

12,887 Posts
haha, awesome, I'd type out a house melody to your synthesized bass and hihat but you can't really type out a melody :lol:

Etymotic Research, Inc. - Musicians Earplugs

I got the ER-15 version.

Custom molded to my ear. Got it for like a hundred something. So worth it.
I've had mine for a year plus?
It's just a bit discolored but aside from that, perfectly fine.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.