Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hola amigo's, just picked up a 2007 ZX6R race bike. It's in transit from New York and should be here in a week or so.
I started riding last May, 2010 and very quickly transitioned to only track riding after insurance quotes for my 1st bike, 89 GSXR 1100 were astronomical...$3000 +/-
I rode the GSXR on track for the 1st time in July 2010 and it was a big pig, lapping Willow Springs @ 2:05. I then picked up a 98 GSXR 750 and got a little quicker 1:50's and it's now in pieces (parting out/boxed up & ready for shipping) I also picked up a 2001 Aprilia Mille R ex-AMA race bike and I can't see myself parting with it....unless I royally screw it up in a crash :(
With the Aprilia & a total of 16-18 track day's since last July I've run a fastest 1:39 @ Big Willow.
Still scared shitless of a huge high-side, had one low-side on the Aprilia @ Street's of Willow, May 2nd 2011.
Looking forward to riding this ZX6R, it's nicely put together. Owner built to get involved in racing but that never panned out. Leo Vince Factory system, Penske shock, GPR V4, safety wired and only 254 miles. Clear title & spare OEM part's.
I'm a little guy 5'6" & 165lb's so hopefully the ZX6 will suit me better than the bigger, heavier Aprilia.
I'd be interested in you're thought's & ideas on the bike and suggestions to maximize performance. I will switch out the stock battery for Shorei or similar & will give some thought to Bazzaz management/shifter options.
I'm gonna get my racing license this year & compete as novice @ WSMC/Wera West. I won't win anything but will enjoy the thrill of competition.
1st photo has weak attempt at removing decal's via iphoto.

Attachments

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wish I lived closer to track. Fontana, California Speedway is 1.5 to 2 hours away but I don't feel like spending $200-$275 for a track day there so I goto Willow Spring's Raceway, exactly 200 miles door to door & 3 to 4 hours drive each way for $100.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I wish I lived closer to track. Fontana, California Speedway is 1.5 to 2 hours away but I don't feel like spending $200-$275 for a track day there so I goto Willow Spring's Raceway, exactly 200 miles door to door & 3 to 4 hours drive each way for $100.
its great that you got into track riding and strictly track riding ridiculously sooner than most of us
BALLIN' :D

i had no clue willow was $100/day
i live 30 min. away form cali speedway and 1 hour from chuckwalla
but like you mentioned, they are pretty pricey

sexy bike you picked up there :thumbup:

quick question, how exactly did you get into track riding?
do you just go on the track org's website and sign up?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup, Motoyard.com Motorcycle Track Days - Motoyard.com - Southern California Motorcycle Track Days @ for Willow Springs & TrackDaZ for Chuckwalla.
I purchase 5 or 6 track days at a time so I save $100+ on buying individual track days.

I got into riding track outta necessity, insurance on GSXR1100 was way too expensive. My brother had been doing track days & time-attack events with his Subaru WRX Sti and I saw bikes running while attending an event with him and bingo.....went & checked 'em out and asked a few question's, came home and bought the GSXR 1100 within a week :)

I was supposed to do Big Willow today & Street's of Willow Sunday with Home page but had to cancel last minute. I'l be back @ Willow July 15th with motoyard and hopefully get this ZX6 prepped w/new tires/fluid's.
I'll be at trackdaz next 2 Chuckwalla event's.
Just wish I'd become interested in this 20+ year's earlier, I'm 39 now :(

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
hehe, i have an 05 STi, but dont really care to track it, or do anything with it :p

better late than never right?!

as for insurance, did you shop around?
i got quoted $6k for geico
$4k progressive
then $1.2k allstate, which i got
im 22, clean record, new rider (started may 2010), 250r, full coverage
idk why yours is so high :eek:, could be cause you're a new rider on a liter bike

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'd a few points on my record. Not a concern anymore, I only ride track.
My bro's Sti is also an 05, detuned to 540HP @ 15 PSI
He bought the car with a blown motor, I pickup a motor for $3000 & spent $15k on rebuild. 1st dyno pull made 680? @ 18 PSI. I could be off on that number...I'll check video.

Vid from 1st time @ Laguna Seca

Way off on the 680HP..oop's. Here's 1st dyno session after motor install.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Bike should be here between 4 & 5PM :D:D:D:D

Dan (the driver) called and said he'd be in my neighborhood soon....."Oh by the way, I don't have you're address" :Laughing rolling:
What a quality operation these guy's are running :rolleyes:

Hope he don't miss my exit, get lost and end up in Tijuana :eek:
Very excited to say the least. makin room in the garage now...anyone need GSXR 750 parts? Complete part out goin on.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And now the fun begin's.

Just in time for Street's of Willow w/motoyard, July 15th :D
I'll be takin it easy, crashed last time out there, May 2nd :mad:
It is indeed a
KAWASAKI ZX-6R NINJA Exhaust

Only issue I see is chain tension is way too loose.
Motor has been opened up and I sure as hell hope it was for a SS build.
Will take to Lee's Cycles for complete check over and evaluation (dyno)

Attachments

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey all, any idea of what HP this bike should make with K&N filter, PC3 and Leo Vince full exhaust?
I've looked it over and can tell the motor's been opened up (red sealant) I'd guess the motor's had some work (hopefully built)
I've been riding 14 months on big bikes (89 GSXR1100/SRAD 759/01 Mille R BUILT)
Assuming the motor's stock what kinds HP should it be making and how much HP should a SS build w/these part's put out?
It's an 07, could I expect w/out SS build 115WHP and with SS build 125-130WHP ?
I'll have it dyno'd...just curious what should be expected.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I would guess less than that

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Umm, Houston we have a problem :confused:

Not sure what the fuck's happened? Did a mouse gnaw on a wire??
Still have not rode the new bike, next track day July 15th but went to checkout bike, ran it for 3 to 5 mins to warm oil for changing, outta curiousity did a touch test on header and #1 cylinder not firing...header cool to touch other's roasting hot.
Pulled plug and it look's fine (wadda I know) unplugged coil connector's, opened throttle and watched fuel spraying into carb bodies. All injectors spraying.
Switched #1 coil onto #2 plug, #2 coil onto #1 plug...fired it up for 15 second's...#1 header still cool to touch.
So injectors are spraying, #1 coil is working, all wiring looks good and like new.
Bike sat for 2 years in temp controlled garage in upstate NY (Mansion) Owner never rode it once, willing to assist in payment for fixing this issue. Put me in contact with bike's builder. I'd rather tinker with it myself & learn some chit.
Any idear's as to what I should check next. Bike is in mint condition 254 miles. Was built to race, dyno'd/tuned and run in on dyno & track.
Gimme a hammer and I can break shit but when it comes to testing electrical components I have not a clue. I have a multimeter, how could I test to see if coil connector to #1 plug is live or dead? or pull plug to test if it's sparking? I know theres several ways of testing for spark but I wanna do it the right way and not fry something (myself)
When I 1st pulled the plug it was damp with fuel and it evaporated just as fuel would do. I can see the valves opening & closing + piston moving fine and no fluid in cylinder.

Attachments

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Anybody?
Tested coil connector (clamp that connect's to top of coil)
W/ignition OFF/kill switch OFF (red button, above starter switch)
= 7.5 Ohms

W/ignition OFF/kill switch ON = 1.5 Ohms

W/ignition ON/kill switch OFF = 9 Ohms
W/ignition ON/kill switch ON = Ohm meter all the way to left 1000 Ohms + ?

Is this decipherable, make any sense to anyone?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Did you compare the reading to one of the other coils? I'm not too good with wiring/electronics but just a thought.

Nice bike BTW. Hope you get her up running before your track day.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just grounded plug to motor and getting good consistant spark, compression test next once I get my tester back.
Bike sat for 2 years, built motor (cams/valves/pistons) if compression is fooked @ #1 cylinder...I be riding the Aprilia July 15th and bike goes to Lees Cycles for rebuild/stuck valves?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Sorry to hear man! Is the previous owner helping you pay for repairs? Bike looked/looks beautiful. Sucks to see your having motor problems with her. :(

1 - 20 of 91 Posts