Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be buying a bike on Friday night, and I was just wondering how the heck I'm supposed to get it back to my house? It's only 30 miles away, and I could probably do it without getting pulled over. I have an old plate from a while back, I could just stick it on there for the night so I could get it back to my house, and maybe up to the DMV to register it. I have no car, no truck, no possible way to get the bike home. Any suggestions?

I've never seen the bike, so I can't be sure that I'm going to buy it, but I thought just as a precaution I'd see if there were any other options out there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
DO NOT put a "spare" plate on it! If you did get pulled over, you'd get in some serious sh*t for having ficticious plates. Just have the dealer or the seller give you a bill of sale and that should make you legal enough to drive home.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i would say fuck it put the plate on it and ride it home. just take the back roads. or rent a truck from home depot for 20 bucks and truck it home but first see the bike befor you spend money on renting a truck.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's technically not a spare plate, and the cop probably wouldn't know the difference. It's from a motorcycle, roughly the same year and everything. I'd still get in trouble though? Or if I just get it insured then I don't need plates? For the time being at least anyway.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
you need plates envetualy, but get insurance, driver license, and bill of sale(title) in your hand and drive it home. i got new plates the same day i went to get the title transfered to my name and registered. they had a whole stack already there.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
A cop is more likely going to believe a story about a bill of sale, you have proof. Try getting him to believe a plate swap. Doesn't matter if it's "almost" same year make/model. If it's not registered to that particular bike, your more screwed vs. having nothing at all. They are human, they will understand. But trying to bullshit them will just piss them off that much more.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
First off, do not do the plate swap. That is a big no-no and will get you in big trouble. Usually they impound the vehicle when there is an illegal plate involved.

Next my question is, what happened to the existing plates on the bike? The bike should have plates. Is it a salvage title? Why would you not be using the bikes existing plates? Or do you mean the bike has plates but doesnt have current tags?

If the bike has plates but the tags are expired, then make sure you have a bill of sale from the previous owner, and your proof of motorcycle insurance (even if not for that bike yet) and license with you and you should be cool if stopped providing its the same day. A cop cannot expect two parties to do a transaction in the DMV parking lot for petes sake.

After you get the bike home arrange for DVM registration/plates/stickers/change of ownership right away and get it added to your insurance.

If you don't want to chance it, do as mentioned above, use a truck/trailer to get the bike home.

-Flash

·
Registered
8 Posts
there's also a guy on craigslist who advertises a motorcycle transportation srvce @ reasonable $$ (if I remember correctly). emphatically cannot vouch for it, just passing it along.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No the bike has plates on it; in fact I'm supposed to meet him in Nassau County Friday night. But, if I get a ticket or in an accident on the way home, doesn't it go on his insurance? So would he be willing to get the plates back in the mail a few days later?

·
Registered
180 Posts
the parties involved in the accident are who are going to get the insurance bump. His insurance only covers him operating the bike. Once that bill of sale is complete, the bike is legally yours regardless of whether its been filed with the DMV. If he's smart, the second you pull off his property, he'll call his insurance and cancel his policy.

As far as your insurance is concerned, generally insurance companies will cover a new vehicle for 24 hours after the purchase. You need to call them ASAP, but your insurance company will still likely cover you in the event that something happens. If nothing else, call them, and explain the situation to find out.

As for the tags: DO NOT swap the tags. In arizona, we can go online to the MVD and print out a 3 day temporary tag for a used vehicle purchase in order to get the vehicle home. NY may have the same capability or you may need to go to the MVD to do this.

If you are pulled over, the bill of sale and your current insurance card (regardless of covered vehicle) should be enough to keep the "tax collector" at bay.

Safer alternative: Go to uhaul and rent one of their pickups for $19.95 and go get it...

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
all i needed to get insurance is the bill of sale or title that has the VIN #.

then depending on your state(texas) law the bike has to pass the safety inspection test. after that go to the tax ofice and get the registration and plates and they will ask you for the ispection papers and insurance.

·
Registered
653 Posts
you cant rent a trailer for motorcycle from uhaul for 19 dollars a day . personally if it was me i would just ride it home but in your case its your risk to take.
casual

·
Registered
653 Posts
make sure you carry all your paperwork and print out this thread to show the cop that you thought about the crime before you did it lol just messing with ya.
casual

·
Registered
337 Posts
Call your local police and find out what your options are. It's likely they will just let you ride it home. But laws vary from state to state! For example, here in Wisconsin, you don't legally have to insure a bike. On that note, however, I've always been covered with a new car or bike just by calling them and letting them know before I drive away. If it's after hours, I just left a message with the VIN#. Of course, I had discussed it with them first and found out my rates before I even went to look at the car/bike. So, call the police, then call your insurance company if you need to. They'll probably work with you. If they won't, then don't drive it home. Anything can happen.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I just recently got my bike fixed, and it was salavaged, so no plate. What did I do? I took my dad's plate and put it on mine, just to ride it home from the shop. Just play it cool and go the limit, control your speeding urges.
But you would probably be better off just carrying the bill or receipt saying you just got it. I did that to and rode home with no plate before. Just take back roads like other people said. Whichever way works fine.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Hey Ninja Rider,
If you are in the NYC area, there is a guy on the Ninja250 board that lives in Queens that offers the riders there in his forum a bike towing servincec if they need it during an emergency. He's fairly reasonable. Charges $25 for the trailer rental (he picks up a UHaul trailer and pulls it with his car), $25 for himself, and any tolls that he has to go through.

If you are just going locally, it should be alot cheaper than risking a many hundred dollar ticket, not to mention impound fees. They don't mess around in Nassau and NYC.

The name of the guy is Ian. You can find him at http://www.ninja250.net He always posts on there, so all you have to do is find a thread he's involved with, and post a question to him. He's a decent guy.

BC.

·
Registered
227 Posts
All you need to get insurance is the VIN number. Call Progresseive or whomever you got through and they can fax or e-mail you proof of insurance. It's very easy and painless.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.