Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m relatively new to riding. I have been getting more ambitious with my riding and I’ve been hitting what I can only describe as a power band type sensation around 10,000rpms. The throttle is nice and smooth before that but if I’m accelerating quickly and hit that “power band” it makes my shifting awkward. Especially if I’m in first and try to go to second just as the band hits.

I guess my question is... is there a power band? Is that something that normally happens that I’ll need to get used to? Or is it an issue with the motor that it is opening up at the high end of the rpms and not the low end. I’ve never heard of a street bike with power band so maybe it’s just something I’m not used to and never heard of haha

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Changing gear at high rpm with the throttle wide open is much different than casual midrange gear shifts. I had the same problem during my first track day 15 years ago and the solution is simple for road and track riding: clean changes instead of fast changes. Try to shift cleanly by closing the throttle at the right time and matching the revs precisely either you use the clutch for upshifting or not. Until you get comfortable with the sequence of moves and confident that you can shift cleanly throughout the power band and whenever necessary.

Two things that can help WOT shifting is mastering the clutchless upshifting and installing a quick throttle which reduces the throttle travel.

Upshifting from first to second is always more tricky and even modern quickshifters get it wrong from time to time so I would recommend using the clutch for that at least during casual riding.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts