Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my bike 2 weeks ago and have yet to ride in the rain. im riding my bike home this weekend from school (120 miles). I know the roads, intersections, and painted lines are extra slick when it first starts to rain I also know to slow down and be more cautious. any other tips you guys can think of?
thanks
Scott

·
Registered
68 Posts
one tip....Dont ride it at all.

Think about the consequences, is it really worth riding it?

Driving in rain is sometimes an agravation itself, let alone on two wheels.

If you have no other choice but to ride, than just think as if you didnt have a bike. What would you do?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Originally posted by playindagamewell
one tip....Dont ride it at all.

Think about the consequences, is it really worth riding it?

Driving in rain is sometimes an agravation itself, let alone on two wheels.

If you have no other choice but to ride, than just think as if you didnt have a bike. What would you do?
So what the hell is he supposed to do when he's ridden somewhere, like work or school, and in the morning it looks great, but has rained or is raining when it comes time to go home???

NINJA, do yourself a favor and take it very slow, riding in hte rain is a pain but will happen i have done a couple of thousand wet killometers and it is tricky, but go slow, keep to the wheel tracks for sure and make your trip home the straightest yolu possibly can.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Make sure when you plan to turn you get all of you slowing out of the way before hand, even a easy press of the brakes in your turn in wet weather can cause you to lose traction.
I learned this about 2 days ago

·
Registered
879 Posts
Make sure to dry / clean and lube your chain after riding in the wet as well. If you do not, your chain will eventualy turn into a rusted mess.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I would have to say, rain or shine, always ride on one side or the other of any particular lane. The middle of lane will be the most slick, since this is where all the shit from cars like oil and antifreeze and other stuff drops onto the road.

And yes, go slow and take your time for sure.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I ride my bike as year round transport and all i can say is:
Break early
Dont break in turns
Make sure you have good tread on your tires.
Get a good rain suit. even a $30 one is better than nothing.
Get some good gloves that have some waterproofing.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'd say the biggest problem /w riding in the rain is distractions and visibility. Your helmet will fog up, you'll have to take a hand off the handle bars to wipe your visor which is both distracting and covers a part of your visibility.

As for tips not covered yet..

I'd say be very firm and progressive /w braking. Make your braking very smooth on/off and through out your braking range. Start small and progressively squeeze tighter. As your ride, try to develop your sense of front wheel traction. It will help you alot.

Don't put your feet down while moving when you're coming to a stop.. You can slip and fall. Wait till you're at a full stop then put a foot down.

If it gets to hard, just pull in to some shelter and wait it out.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Have the bike in a gear above what you would normally ride in town. So say in town you ride in third, put her in fourth. That's the only tip i really have. Good luck, make sure you post when you get home so we know you made it safe!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Originally posted by Supa Ninja
you got to carress that throttle like a woman, no sudden snaps or you'll be on your ass.
What if your woman does not liked to be carress'd... but rather to be man handled, and tossed around like a $2 whore? What would you do then? :D

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
There's nothing wrong with riding in the wet. Hell they even race in the wet!

The things to remember are:

Be smooth

Get good waterproofs - When you're wet and cold your concentration will slip.

Be smooth

Think ahead - If you know you're coming to a corner you can ease of the throttle and slow gently.

Be smooth

Be gentle - Suddenly open the throttle wide and you'll lose the back tyre. Slam on the brakes and you won't be surprised to find yourself sat in the road!

Be smooth

In the dry the brakng is roughtly 70% front and 30% rear. In the wet it's more like 50/50. If you are reading ahead you will only need to slow gently, use the back break for this. If the back wheel locks it's easier to control the skid. If the front wheel locks you're on your ass! Just be gentle with everything.

Be smooth

Ride with your brain and your ass not with your pecker and you'll be fine.

Be smooth

We get a fair ammount of practice with wet riding over here and I can honestly say I've never dropped it in the wet. Dropped it on ice and snow but that's different! I've never had a chain turn to mush because I ridden in the rain. Clean and lube as normal and it'll be alright.

edit: Get a fog shield for you visor. Oh, and did I mention be smooth? :D

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Originally posted by Agent7

What if your woman does not liked to be carress'd... but rather to be man handled, and tossed around like a $2 whore? What would you do then? :D
$2 whore? They must look like a hippo's ass they're so cheap. Don't be tight, pay an extra dollar and put a bag over her head. :D

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Aside from all the above (which is sound and good advice) - get the most visible, loud, outlandishly colored raingear you can. We're invisible to cagers in broad, clear daylight - I've never understood why most rainsuit manufacturers insist on hawking plain black rainsuits to make us even MORE difficult to see. A few reflective strips don't make up for the otherwise large void of blackness. Some companies make CAMO rainsuits!!! WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY THINKING???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Originally posted by 99Ninja6r
I just got my bike 2 weeks ago and have yet to ride in the rain. im riding my bike home this weekend from school (120 miles). I know the roads, intersections, and painted lines are extra slick when it first starts to rain I also know to slow down and be more cautious. any other tips you guys can think of?
thanks
Scott
I have ridden quite a bit in the rain on my FZR600 and have only had one scary moment when I locked up the rear tire and slid with it locked for about 500 feet. Just don't let off of the rear brake when its locked or your in for it. Also give yourself plenty of room from the car ahead of you to slow down.

Well thats my 2P

Aaron

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am in for it today also. I try my best never to ride in the rain but today I did not have a choice. Its sounds like the best advice is to go slow and try not be over confident.[B)]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.