Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this in another forum and it got me to thinking....what RPM's are you normally running in Traffic (around town) and on the Freeway...for me it seems some where around 6,000 rpm...
For example, the light turns green and do you let the bike rev up to 10,000 rpm and ride thru town...or "short shift it" and run about 6,000.

Does this cause a problem for the bike? note I do downshift to bring the rpm up for passing and etc.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
In traffic I don't even go to 6,000 unless I am in a hurry, 4,000 while going through the gears will usually keep up with any normal traffic, 4,000 in 6th for me is about 50 mph. Running at lower rpm will make your engine last longer.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I tend to run between 4,000-5,000 as well, I don't like to hear my baby whine for too long:D

·
Registered
63 Posts
I also short shift a little when I'm in town. I normally ride around 4000rpm or so and then downshift if I need a little burst of power. I'm normally around 6000 or so when I'm on the highway at about 70 to 75mph. It is hard sometimes not to just let here rip all the time. I don't normally get on it too hard since I already know what my RR is capable of. Hell all sport bikes can rip. I like my nice cheap insurance and I plan on keeping it that way.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Mine likes to shift between 4 and 5. I never go to 10, unless I'm on my way to 13. 7500 on the highway thanks to the gears.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Just trolling around town, 4-5K. When in moving traffic I like to keep it around 7,500 - 8,000 to other people can hear my two brothers screaming and know I'm around, plus if someone does make a stupid move, I don't have the lag in the power band and I can just GO.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I keep it over 8k, less than 8k and it doesn't accelerate. Kinda dangerous if you need to get away from cars being stupid. I usually ride a CBR954 on the street and never let it get below 5k for the same reason.

The 636 is primarily a track bike, even on the street its frequently revved to red line. It sounds too cool at high RPMs not to rev it.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
in town 1st gear to hear my hindle. or 2 to hear it better. 4-6 I keep it

·
Registered
545 Posts
With the Micron on board, I usually cruise at 6-7 (was higher w/ stock exhaust)... I like people to know I'm there, around town and on the highway.

Also, I rarely shift below 6-7000 rpms either, what fun would that be ??????

·
Registered
80 Posts
Always 8K and above so power is always on tap. Remember these bikes are DESIGNED to be reved since all the power and torque are in the upper ranges. If you tootle around at 5K you will labour the engine and it will actually wear out quicker!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Hmmm, I ride around at (usually) between 4-5 or 6 thou' rev's and my engine hasn't worn out yet. It does get thrashed on occasion though. The '95-'97 models respond really well at those rev's so there's no real need to go higher in traffic unless you're: a)In a real hurry or b) Pissed off. I ran in an '03 ZX-6R at the start of this year and couldn't believe how easily it pulled 10 or 11 thousand rev's, if I had one I'd probably rev it more than I do mine.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Hmm, I shift somewhere around 8 - 9 K on a regular slow ride, and 13K or above if I am pissed off, or looking for fun between curves (which is quite often). Why the [email protected] would anyone shift on 4K all the way, if you have a sportsbike. Try a cruiser or something, or drive a cage.[}:)]

I don't have any specific reason for doing so, but this way it's much more fun, and this is the way I think a sportsbike should run.:D

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I probably ride my bike 15,000 miles or more a year. A good bit of that time is just going somewhere in town. Other than the fact that you look like a real jerk screaming along a 10,000+ rpm in traffic it serves no purpose. At the kind of speed that you can get by with in town you will find more than adequate power to get proper weight distribution to drag a knee way below 8,000 rpm. I can also out accelerate any car I normally encounter shifting below 8,000.

With that said I usually hit 130-140 mph most days on my bike usually inside the city limit. So I am not reluctant to use all or most of what my old Ninja has to offer.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I probably ride my bike 15,000 miles or more a year. A good bit of that time is just going somewhere in town. Other than the fact that you look like a real jerk screaming along a 10,000+ rpm in traffic it serves no purpose. At the kind of speed that you can get by with in town you will find more than adequate power to get proper weight distribution to drag a knee way below 8,000 rpm. I can also out accelerate any car I normally encounter shifting below 8,000.
This was what I was thinking...when I pull on the freeway I let it rev up...again I am talking around town...back roads are different...I just seems like you attract more attention (could the wrong attention) when you are running 8,000+ thru town in traffic...

·
Registered
67 Posts
I tend to keep the revs around 4-6k in traffic in the city... makes the throttle less jumpy, but leaves plenty of power for getting out of trouble if need be.

When I get to my favourite roads, the revs come up. I love hearing that stock exhaust start howling.. but I think maybe I'll buy that Akrapovic system all you guys seem to be raving about. :)

·
Registered
631 Posts
I ussually shift at 12000-13000 when in city just to putt around, ussually hit 150-160 in city limits.

hey its just fun..

oh yeah mile long wheelies in the neighberhood

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.