Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my dilemma, I do a lot of riding alone and sometimes I get concerned about going down out in the middle of nowhere and nobody finding me for days as I lay all fucked up or dead on the side of the road. Crashing doesn't really scare me that much, but laying helpless and alone does. I make an effort to ride with buddies but it is hard to get a group together every time I want to ride. I'm not going to waste half my day off work waiting for everyone to get their shit together. I usually dedicate the whole day to riding and hate having to worry about someone elses schedule. Plus, a lot of them aren't really into the same kind of riding as me. I like to ride pretty aggresively and will travel hours away from home exploring new roads. They like to just cruise around town and stop too often for smoke breaks. They are nice guys and all, but recenlty I haven't even been calling when I want to go ride because I know I will have more fun alone. A few weeks ago I met a guy who lives near me with the same exact bike and seems to have more similar interest as me, but we can only ride together on weekends because of different work schedules. I'm sure I will meet some more riders that like to mix it up too, but I still see myself riding alone more often than not. I'm not antisocial by any means, but sometimes I like to just get out by myself and enjoy the freedom of riding wherever, whenever, and as fast as I want . So I guess my question is, how do you guys like to ride? In a group, with just one or two other people, or alone? For you guys who always ride in groups, doesn't it get kinda frustrating dealing with all the other riders? And finally, for you guys that ride alone, how do we protect ourselves from the kind of situation I described earlier?

·
Registered
640 Posts
I deff dont like big groups, i think 3-4 is my max. I feel like i ride better alone though. I'm new and sometimes i worry about keepin up which isnt good or people being behind me. The only time i really ride alone anymore is to work and there are tons of ppl to see if i go down. but on the back roads its kinda shitty if you go down. I went down a month or two ago (in a group, they came back) and there where people 75-100 feet away from me that didnt even ask if i was ok or if i needed help. I just always have my cell in my pocket and hope nextel has some coverage there.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,894 Posts
Originally posted by rkm625
I just always have my cell in my pocket and hope nextel has some coverage there.
The issue, though, is that what if you can't work your cell phone? What if you're unconcious, or your arms are broken, or your cell phone is smashed?

Sorta worries me, too. Also, I don't trust other riders, so it's kind of irritating having someone sniffing my ass while I'm riding, and it's also irritating to have to go faster than I want to go to keep them off me. I never outride my limits, but I usually ride well within them, even when I'm hitting twisties and scrubbing the tire. I just don't like to be forced to ride faster than I want to.

·
Registered
640 Posts
we need one of those things they have for old people when they fall at home, except with gps on it

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
i like riding solo and with groups. but i dont see the need to worry about the what if's. not saying that things shouldn't concern people but i can't live my life worrying about what if this or that happens. if a frog had wings it wouldn't bump it's ass rite haha. i will do things to try and prevent a situation but i'm not gonna ruin my pleasure of living by worrying of what "might" happen.

·
Registered
207 Posts
wow! well, i gotta say that out of all of the things to worry about while riding, laying on the side of the road for days is not one of them for me. maybe it's cause in pa, their aren't too many untraveled roads. i think i'd have more of a concern of getting run over while laying on the side of the road. i wouldn't worry bout it to much, but if your that concerned, just give someone the heads up that your out riding, and if your not heard from for x amount of hours, to maybe give you a call, or whatnot

·
Registered
2002 ZX6R
26,947 Posts
I don't like riding in groups. Too many different needs/skill levels for me to care about.
On my phone I have a number programmed into my phonebook that says ICOE which most emergency responders understand to mean "In Case Of Emergency." Granted it just dials my parents home number. Plus all my insurance information states that if I'm incapacitated to contact them too. Owning a Nextel, getting service is spotty at times. I always leave my phone in the tail of my bike. Given that its fallen off my belt at speeds considered less than legal I'd say it can probably take a little jostel inside there.
As for laying on the side of the road for days....Yeah I can see there being roads like that, but my guess is that people would start looking for me after a day or so. And most new cell phones are GPS enabled so you can be located if your phone is on. Police can do that if you're a "missing person"

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow! well, i gotta say that out of all of the things to worry about while riding, laying on the side of the road for days is not one of them for me. maybe it's cause in pa, their aren't too many untraveled roads. i think i'd have more of a concern of getting run over while laying on the side of the road. i wouldn't worry bout it to much, but if your that concerned, just give someone the heads up that your out riding, and if your not heard from for x amount of hours, to maybe give you a call, or whatnot
I'm not really that concerned, not enough to keep me from riding or anything. It just crosses my mind sometimes when I riding some back roads and see a ledge or something and think "shit, that would be a bad place to crash." I don't know where, but I've heard of people on bikes crashing and nobody finding them for days. It would be good to let someone know your route and check on you if you dont call, but half the time I don't know exactly where I'm going. Just try to get lost and find my way back.

we need one of those things they have for old people when they fall at home, except with gps on it
Thats not a bad idea, you could be on to something. With so many places in the mountains out of cell range, a gps beacon would be good to have. How about like in boats where if it flips over, it activates an emergency beacon. There could be something fitted to the bike to sense if its down and call for help. Kinda like onstar for bikes.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I only ride alone, but I never push it too hard on public roads. That's my opinion anyway. The cars getting passed would prob tell the cops a different story while they're standing over my body.

I run into guys all the time while riding that pass me and disappear off into blind corners 20MPH faster than me, and I don't really care. I'd rather ride alone than with them anyway.

·
Registered
297 Posts
[:+1] on the GPS enabled phone. Living in Montana, it can get pretty desolate in a big hurry. It is for reasons such as this that I carry my cell at all times, especially when doing things like hunting. Granted I hunt with a buddy, but sometimes we split up and it is a good piece of mind to have when you are miles from an actual road and in bear/mountain lion country

·
Registered
950 Posts
Originally posted by gtjimm
Interesting... I can think of many (actually most of them) that I could lay unnoticed on in this part of PA. Regardless, I'm with warbuk, it's not worth worrying about. Go enjoy!

Personally, I like riding in groups. It helps me to develop my skills and sometimes "push" the limits a little. Maybe it's not the best way to learn, but my motivation is not to crash, and so by pushing a little bit at a time I have learned better than by being alone and not knowing how much was too much to push.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Umnn... Saw this movie recently "firewall" starring Harrison Ford. There was a part of the movie where he was tracking the location of his dog though some device on the dog collar. Then I got to think about on-star and low jack. If you're worried about this, then check onstar is available on bikes or even lowjack. Just let someone know you're going for a ride and when you should be back. If they haven't heard from you, they.can call the service to locate the bike.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
im definitely a fan of solo rides. i hate seeing/participating in huge group rides. motorcycles are the definition of rugged individualism - there's nothing worse than seeing like 50 bikes riding together. that cant be too much fun...if anything, i like riding with one other guy.

im a much bigger fan of solo riding. im either taking the same twisties pretty hard or im exploring and taking it relatively easy. im afraid of going in a group where they know the roads and i dont. im worried about getting pressured into taking roads too hard that ive never been on.

im in the same boat as you tho. i travel the twisties pretty hard but they're in the woods/mountains and beyond the guardrail is nothing but a steep drop. im not sure how to protect against being left alone. guess i just dont think about it....

·
Registered
330 Posts
[8D] I love to ride in a group are by myself its all good. Yes at times its a pain to get a large groupe going but it is a blast [:p] Everyone should ride how they feel safe ,its not how fast you get there its that you get there.
And I like to see how people act when you roll up 10+ deep now when you get up to 20+ it is a bit of a pain

G

·
when im out, wrecking/laying helplessly somewhere is not on my things-to-do-while-riding list. maybe i should be more prepared tho.

i like solo, and small group. nothing big. too many things to keep an eye on.

sometimes i get nervous riding alone b/c of cops. more likely they will go after one or two bikes rather than a bigger group. if they do, im usually up front anyways. :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
Maybe a good idea to invest in that "Blue Tooth" hands-free phone that fits in your ear. I'm not sure of the features but from my understanding if you say a name it automatically dials for you.

I fully understand you fears being as though I ride to work and get off at midnight and I work in the county where there aren't many street lights on the back roads.

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
i also ride along alot of the time. I know people who ride, but i dont like riding w/ them casue they're all squids. All they do is pop wheelies, and see how fast they can go in a straight line. I always carry my cell phone in my breast pocket of my jacket, if i cant use it and im out in the sticks then i guess im fucked.

Speaking of riding w/ friends... i gotta call Spitz next time i have a weekend day off.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Riding alone is great at times, but I learned first hand how scarey it can actually be if you have a problem.

When I lowsided back in May and broke my right leg, as soon as I hit the ground the first thought on my mind was that I might not get any cell reception in the mountanous area I was in.

Luckily, even when (2) people had stopped to see if I was OK, I was the ONLY one who got reception, so it worked out.

The lesson I learned from that was to always ride with a buddy if you plan on doing anything technical (like Latigo Canyon in Malibu)

Sometimes riding solo si great and relaxing, but for safety's sake have a buddy if you plan on riding all-out.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I always ride alone. I'm antisocial in every aspect of my life:). If I go down so hard that I can't even call for help - then it was meant to be. I don't mean to sound like some wimpy fatalist, yet I will never attempt something hopeless. If I can't call for help - then I can't call for help, and no sense in worrying over it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.