Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Ninja 650. I've been practicing riding seated wheelies in first gear and I often redline it. Sometimes the bike even cuts out. I'm concerned that I may be causing damage to the motor and transmission.

bike is stock

Does anyone know if redlining frequently will cause problems?

·
Registered
166 Posts
As long as you let the bike warm up before redlining it and don't do it every day you should be fine, but if you do this often it could shorten the lifespan of your bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
228 Posts
The rev limiter is there to prevent damage before if occurs. Is bouncing it off the rev limiter constantly good for the bike? No. Are the chances of damage occurring higher at the rev limiter? Yes. But again, the rev limiter is there to prevent damage.

·
Registered
195 Posts
+1 to above statement... You want to wheelie... Get a rocket...that said my 06 636... Wheelied its entire life with me, drag raced, rev limiter daily... I was young and beat the hell out of it, but I also changed the oil every 2k and it never left the driveway before I got a temp reading on the cluster...I sold it with 35k with no problems.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
I dont know about all that. Slamming the front end down hard all the time is going to be hard on any bike. If he's letting the front end down gently enough I dont see any reason a 650 can't wheelie now and then. There Showa forks and cant be that bad, yea there not adjustable and cant dampen quite as quick, but riding a "rocket" if you want to wheelie is a misconception. You might just blow out your fork seals sooner.

Theres a lot of non 'crotch rocket" bikes that can wheelie all day long.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
i use my 650r as a stunt/street toy its a street fighter style bike with less weight on the front end to lower impact on front forks but even so in stock bike form the forks should do just fine just keep your weight off the front when setting it down. when i pop it up from a stop or under 25-35mph 1st gear is the way to go, otherwise 2nd gear sit downs on these bikes work best just get back on the seat almost on the passenger seat and slip the clutch. the balance point on these bikes is pretty far back but feels very stable even at highway speeds. you must remember these are not I-4 sport-bike engines that are happy high-reving motors that wheelie on the highway with little effort as seen on youtubes, these are parallel twins they make there power on the lower and mid end so high speed wheelies are almost impossible unless you get your left leg on the rear peg to shift your weight and bounce it up even then over 55mph is tricky. also if your popping it up in first your gonna have a lot of engine brake to deal with when you cut throttle or it cuts on you causing more force on the front end when setting it down.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I do wheelies quite a bit on my 13 650. Just pop it with low speeds and it will give you a lot longer wheelie before you get to redline. I haven't gotten very good at 2nd gear yet, but only way you'll be able to go for a long time on a 650 is prolly getting it in 2nd. Best option get a supersport. Thats what ill be doin next summer most likely. Although I will say I very much enjoy the 650 as an everyday bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts