Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a noob with this whole riding thing... only been riding for about 3 months... I had a question about riding etiquette.

If i am on the highway and i see another rider in another lane... is it ok to go and "ride with them"... you know ... change lanes with them and such... I am speaking about joining in at a safe distance not in a douchebag racing/challenging type of way, Just go along with their flow. Sometimes it gets lonely riding alone but i am not sure if this is something that is looked down upon or if its a "2 wheels one love" type of thing LOL any input is greatly appreciated.

Thx

·
Registered
224 Posts
yeah i will do that, saftey in numbers things as far as being seen. but if they dont want you riding with them they will let you know, as in there will be no dobut in your mind that they dont want you there. but i always do. just dont be an assclown

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
this is entirely dependent on the person. I personally like when other riders (non harley riders) pull up and ride with me. I also know guys who hate it, those are the guys who make their own "time and space" and do not want anyone in their "time and space" bubble.

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
Yeah, it an be tricky and if we ride up on a group or solo rider, we usually slowly blend over, nod (sorta asking for approval) and go from there. Most guys don't mind it, as long as you're not jamming them and as j0ntar posted, invading their "space". Just hold your line, keep plenty of room and all should be good.

·
Overwhelming Splendidery
13,553 Posts
I like even other people dip in and ride with me. Then I just treat it as a group ride until they bug out.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Me and my friend actually turned around during our rider the other night to follow a group of riders for about a 30 minute ride through some twisty mountain roads. At the end of it, they all pulled over, and so did we and got to talking, checking out each others bikes, and exchanging numbers to go riding again. I will gladly move in with a group and follow them if I am just out riding/no destination, however, I'll keep my distance unless we are stopped at a light, then I'll try to spark conversation.

Group rides are fun, whether it be with 2 people, a dozen, or whatever the case may be .. so I'm all for it.

Some people just seem to have no interest though. Never give you a second look, they just want to ride their ride and that's it. If that's the case, then just forget about em' and carry on your way.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Shit will happen if a random comes to ride with me:

:nana:

On a serious note though, I see nothing wrong with it as long as you respect their space, understand the proper group ride "rules" and ensure you don't go overboard and make them feel like you are stalking them :rolleyes:

·
Registered
160 Posts
I do the majority of my riding alone, and often will see other bikes pull up behind me and tag along. I don't mind it, as others said, as long as they keep their space like anybody in a group should and aren't crowding me. If I am on a freeway, and I see another sportbike, I'll go up and follow a bit, just because you're safer in numbers. However, if they are doing their own thing I won't make a point to switch lanes and keep exactly with them. What I don't like is when you get a group, usually either inexperienced riders or what you all like to call squids, feel the need to ride up on you and try to up the pace (usually on a freeway), or wait for that chance when they can fly by you just to show that their bike is fast, too. That's a pain, because you constantly have to monitor not only what is going on infront of you, but the knuckleheads behind you and whatever they're up to.

·
Thats how I get down baby
1,287 Posts
Shit will happen if a random comes to ride with me:

:nana:

On a serious note though, I see nothing wrong with it as long as you respect their space, understand the proper group ride "rules" and ensure you don't go overboard and make them feel like you are stalking them :rolleyes:
I wish it was acceptable to ride around with chains and clubs and whoop the shit out of people.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I also don't see any problem with joining in.. I personally don't like it when someone joins me, but thats only be cause I get really nervous when I have a rider I don't trust behind me. I'm not sure why but I don't even like people walking behind me. Wierd I know!

As far as when I join someone, I don't get up near them like I would with someone I know. When I ride with someone I know I keep the staggered formation and about 2-3 bike lengths distance back (more for higher speeds) but if its somone I don't know I stay even farther back so no to make them uncomfortable.

·
Overwhelming Splendidery
13,553 Posts
I wish it was acceptable to ride around with chains and clubs and whoop the shit out of people.
It's not? Damn.. I need to change my ways.

BTW I was playing road rash 64 on an emulator a couple months ago... I fuggin love those games.

·
Thats how I get down baby
1,287 Posts
It's not? Damn.. I need to change my ways.

BTW I was playing road rash 64 on an emulator a couple months ago... I fuggin love those games.
I can attribute a lot of my fascination with sport bikes to road rash. Used to play the shit out of it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
here in chicago theres hundreds of guys with sportbikes and they ALLL hang out at the same locations. So its pretty easy to meet alot of people that ride and its also easy to see those people just out riding. So if I see people Ive met or know I will try and ride around with them some.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If a fast bike passes me you can bet i'll "chase" him (;<
In a friendly way though

·
Registered
463 Posts
I don't like people riding with me. I am either going to wave them on or pull over. I don't want to have to try and judge their skill level while I am concentrating. Nothing worse than slowing down for traffic and the dip shit behind you is jamming out to their iPod and isn't paying attention.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts