Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 2005 zx636, whilst riding the bike this morning one of the connections for the pc3 came loose, and my bike quickly ran on 3 cylinders. I wasn't able to get home to get it fixed and rode the bike a further 40 miles. I was giving it some stick and I am a little worried as to whether I did any damage to the bike whilst riding on 3 cylinders. I have now fixed the loose connection and the bike runs fine on all 4 cylinders.
Were there any negative effects by riding on 3 cylinders for an extended period of time? Please voice your inputs..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
joonyaboy said:
My buddy did the same thing in Jan, he hasn't had any problems since, but i really dunno. His was from a bad spark plug
Yeah the bike is running fine now. But I don't know whether I should replace the spark plugs? Would running the bike on 3 cylinders for an extended period of time lead to fouling of spark plugs?
Also want to know whether I caused premature engine wear by giving it some stick on 3 cylinders.

thanks
 

·
Got lime? I do
Joined
·
16,736 Posts
it seems to at most, the plug that wasn't firing woulda just got drowned in gas. i don't think that will make it foul out. but with un-fired gas in the cylinder, gas would seap past the piston rings and get into the oil. gas is thinner than oil. i would change the oil /filter and get the problem solved. tape the connectors on the PCIII so they don't come apart again if you have to. my 2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
warbuk said:
it seems to at most, the plug that wasn't firing woulda just got drowned in gas. i don't think that will make it foul out. but with un-fired gas in the cylinder, gas would seap past the piston rings and get into the oil. gas is thinner than oil. i would change the oil /filter and get the problem solved. tape the connectors on the PCIII so they don't come apart again if you have to. my 2
yup note taken.. the connectors for all 4 cylinders are taped now.
You have me worried though.. How can I tell whether the gas has seaped past the piston rings and into the oil?
I have had a look a the oil in the window and it looks fine. Also there isn't the slightest smell of gas when I opened the oil filler cap. I would change the oil and oil filter right away but I need to be sure that the oil has seaped past the piston rings. :( I just did the oil and oil filter last weekend..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maniac0586 said:
no you should be fine gas isnt going to get arround the rings should all be pushed out your exhaust but i dont see any reason for you to have long term effects because of this.
Hey man, are you sure that the gas didn't pass the piston rings. Warbuk says different.. who should I believe? remember i was giving it a lot of stick whilst on 3 cylinders because of lack of power and I initially thought it was a bad spark plug..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
547 Posts
your valves were still opening, and if your connection for your injector wasn't connected then it has no signal to squirt gas into the chamber. you shouldn't have any gas pass the rings just based on this. if your really worried about this, change your oil and ease your mind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,279 Posts
anthz said:
Hey man, are you sure that the gas didn't pass the piston rings. Warbuk says different.. who should I believe? remember i was giving it a lot of stick whilst on 3 cylinders because of lack of power and I initially thought it was a bad spark plug..
your fine. its not getting past the pistons. it will just be spit out the exhaust. same as running super rich. as a matter of fact, if your pcIII came loose, you will still have spark, just not much fuel running to that cylinder. only what get in from the secondary injectors.

if it makes you feel better, change the oil, but i dont see you having a future issue because of this. you might also want to pull that spark plug and look it over and clean it. but other than that. i wouldnt worry about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,037 Posts
helo-pilot said:
if it makes you feel better, change the oil, but i dont see you having a future issue because of this. you might also want to pull that spark plug and look it over and clean it. but other than that. i wouldnt worry about it.
+1 ;)
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top