Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am goint to be placing my order soon for some frame sliders, and I am going with the motivation frame and swingarm sliders. I really like LSL but I want my frame sliders to match my swingarm ones.

Am I making the right purchase???

....I also may pull the trigger on some Arata rearsets too!

Thanks!

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
From what I hear, motivation is excellent (ask stylin97 for more info)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Among the cream-of-the-crop on the '05-'06, due to the design of the right side putting the load on the frame, rather than on the fragile engine adjuster like most do. I know R&G is also like this, and another one I can't remember the name of. The rest are just bolt on plastic pucks, just pick from those based on looks, because they'll all work the same. Here's a thread I did on them after I researched and installed them, just for additional feedback.

http://www.kawiforums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=67085

But, two things I've decided after the fact - First, if I had known about Race Railz before getting the sliders, I would've gotten them instead. My bike is black, so they wouldn't be ugly, and they offer considerably more protection for the bike. I still may swap up to a set eventually. Second, I'm not so sure the swingarm sliders are a great idea. I have all the motovation stuff, frame, swingarm, and fork sliders, and the bar ends. I'm not against motocations swingarm sliders in particular, just in any spool-mount type sliders. I've yet to see a positive account of them protecting anything. All I've seen about them is stories of them ripping the spool mount tab off the swingarm, thus actually causing damage that wouldn't have happened rather than protecting anything. I'm still not taking mine off, but if I see one or two more bad stories with no goods I will, and if I were to order stuff right now, I'd skip them.

Just some food for thought. Make sure you re-torque stuff in the right order when installing the frame sliders (it's in the FSM, if you don't have one just PM me and I'll type the order for you.) I didn't initially, and my bike would make a "pop" when I would first get on it. I determined it was the engine shifting ever so slightly in relation to the upper right frame bolt (where the slider goes.) It's probably a freak occurance and won't happen to you, because I found nothing about it here, but re-torquing and adjusting the mounts in the correct order solved it.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Originally posted by BrandonM7
But, two things I've decided after the fact - First, if I had known about Race Railz before getting the sliders, I would've gotten them instead.

Second, I'm not so sure the swingarm sliders are a great idea. I have all the motovation stuff, frame, swingarm, and fork sliders, and the bar ends. I'm not against motocations swingarm sliders in particular, just in any spool-mount type sliders. I've yet to see a positive account of them protecting anything. All I've seen about them is stories of them ripping the spool mount tab off the swingarm, thus actually causing damage that wouldn't have happened rather than protecting anything. I'm still not taking mine off, but if I see one or two more bad stories with no goods I will, and if I were to order stuff right now, I'd skip them.
yeah, as much as i like my Motovation sliders, i might get some race rails as well. I just hate the idea of having to take off the rails if i need to take off my fairings.

but sometimes while just cruising around, i like to put my left foot up on my slider, the races rails would be more comfortable :D

and YES take off your swingarm spools/sliders. they are only needed for putting your bike on the stand. they WILL rip off the mount on the swingarm if you go down. happend to me (off brand sliders, but still). now im stuck with a messed up swingarm that i cant put up on a stand cause i only have 1 side i can mount a spool to.

just keep the spools for when you need to use a stand, but when your riding around keep them off.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Originally posted by stylin97

yeah, as much as i like my Motovation sliders, i might get some race rails as well. I just hate the idea of having to take off the rails if i need to take off my fairings.

but sometimes while just cruising around, i like to put my left foot up on my slider, the races rails would be more comfortable :D

and YES take off your swingarm spools/sliders. they are only needed for putting your bike on the stand. they WILL rip off the mount on the swingarm if you go down. happend to me (off brand sliders, but still). now im stuck with a messed up swingarm that i cant put up on a stand cause i only have 1 side i can mount a spool to.

just keep the spools for when you need to use a stand, but when your riding around keep them off.

Well, I never saw your bad story about that - so that makes 3 strikes against, with no positive account that I've found. Good enough for me, they're off the bike before the next ride.

And screw the spools at all in that case - I'll just get that attachment for the stand that cups under the swingarm instead of using spools. Then the stand can be used for more bikes anyway. Only thing I hate, and this is way too vein and bitch-like, is that now that I had the spools in the black coating on the inner threads is gone, so it'll be obvious a bolt used to be in there. I can't believe I even typed that, but as of now my bike is perfect, and I'll have markings that spools were once there. I feel like a chick for even thinking about that [B)] Regardless, they're coming out.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Originally posted by BrandonM7

Well, I never saw your bad story about that - so that makes 3 strikes against, with no positive account that I've found. Good enough for me, they're off the bike before the next ride.

And screw the spools at all in that case - I'll just get that attachment for the stand that cups under the swingarm instead of using spools. Then the stand can be used for more bikes anyway. Only thing I hate, and this is way too vein and bitch-like, is that now that I had the spools in the black coating on the inner threads is gone, so it'll be obvious a bolt used to be in there. I can't believe I even typed that, but as of now my bike is perfect, and I'll have markings that spools were once there. I feel like a chick for even thinking about that [B)] Regardless, they're coming out.
hahah dont worry, id think the same way.

just tape off the mount area and cut out a hole where the bolt goes and spray a little bit of black spray paint in there. will look like new again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I went down hard on a high side at about 55 mph on motovation sliders, spools, and bar ends on my 03. The slider bent all the way to the frame and the fairing was destroyed, but it did its job- the frame is fine. The spool on that side was completely ground down, my swing arm had barely a scratch (only on the axle nut), and the mounting point and welds were fine, so I would have to say it worked great.

Plus, after i wrecked, I wrote Motovation and bitched about the frame slider bending, and after I sent a copy of my recipt they sent me a new slider, and spool free of charge. A good company and product for sure. In retrospect, you can't be too pissed about that slider bolt bending when the bike was dropped straight on it from a few feet in the air at 55 mph.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Originally posted by Liquified
I went down hard on a high side at about 55 mph on motovation sliders, spools, and bar ends on my 03. The slider bent all the way to the frame and the fairing was destroyed, but it did its job- the frame is fine. The spool on that side was completely ground down, my swing arm had barely a scratch (only on the axle nut), and the mounting point and welds were fine, so I would have to say it worked great.

Plus, after i wrecked, I wrote Motovation and bitched about the frame slider bending, and after I sent a copy of my recipt they sent me a new slider, and spool free of charge. A good company and product for sure. In retrospect, you can't be too pissed about that slider bolt bending when the bike was dropped straight on it from a few feet in the air at 55 mph.
where exactly did the slider bend? did it cause any damage to the adjuster bolt thing on that side?

got any pics of it you can post?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I have motovation sliders on my swing arm, frame and fork. Matching equipment was important to me and their products received good reviews from this forum.
Cosmetically, IMO, they look amazing, most people don’t even notice them until I point them out.
As far as function is concerned, I can't say, I haven’t had to use them (knock on wood)

·
Registered
414 Posts
FWIW. I tested out a pair of intuitive sliders a few weeks ago at the track. They took a serious beating and the frame is untouched.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The bolt bent right at the point where it inserts into the engine mounting point on the frame. The force of the impact actually bent the thick metal ring on the slider where the puck slides onto. The frame and that mounting point were totally undamaged. I have some pics somewhere, I'll post them up in this thread in a day or two when I can find them.

As a side note, the slider was a serious pain in the ass to get off after it was bent. This was because the new direction the allen bolt would twist (if it could) has nothing to do with the direction the threads on the bolt need to twist. I had to hammer on it and twist it by hand for about an hour to get it off. It saved my frame from being scrapped for sure. $60 investment to save a $1,500 frame. ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just a quick side note for anyone getting the Motovations- To install the slider on the left side, you cant use the OEM nut (on the 03-04). It has those tabs on it that wont let it spin down far enough on the motovation bolt which is longer. Be prepared to spend about $1 at the depot for the nut. Off the top of my head, I think it is a 10mm with a 1.25 thread, but take your Motovation bolt and the original nut into the store to be sure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Motovation frame and swing-arm slider pictures.

#1 and #2 - Left frame slider after 55 mph highside.
I think I should be a hand model! Look at that cuticle.

#3 - Left swing-arm slider after the same wreck.

·
Registered
763 Posts
not bad. as long as it didnt damage the castle nut and the threaded engine adjuster than it did a lot better job than my vortex ones did when i went down.

btw, on your stand, you have the part that holds the spool up on the wrong sides.. the 2 little "tabs" the taller should be towards the front of the bike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.