Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
my advise would be just to get over it. Thats the best way I have gotten over my fear.
Much easier said than done, and to be honest, I hate when people give advice like that. I've gotten it from track instructors too, and I don't think that's overly wise, especially from a track day instuctor. Some people may just have a phobia that takes them a lot longer to get over. And bear in mind, that you can read everything about the logistics involved in turning or what ever, and there is literally NO way to prepare or "try out" it unless you are actually doing it. Everyone says lean it more, do this, do that. Well if you have a phobia about doing something and are skittish about committing to it because there is no way to prepare, that WILL take some time to "get over it".

To the original poster, I was the exact same way. I was so better at left turns than rights, then I had a low side on the right side, and I still was shy on right turns. 3yrs later, I have a low side on the left side, and now I can't turn left worth a shit. I am FAR better at right turns now than lefts. I think there may be something to the right handed/left brained thing, but I tend to think that some people might be more afraid of right turns because that's the side of the throttle. Maybe they're subconsciously afraid of giving it too much gas. I'm far from an expert but that could be a factor for some people. Just ride your ride and don't fuss too much. I've reached the point that I'm just giving up on the things I want to do with riding (trackdays, taking corners faster, getting the knee down, etc..) because I've been told I'm too slow, that I can't do it etc. Fuck em, I'm happy to ride anyway and that's what I'm going to do.

edit: I am right handed too, but I now can almost get my knee down on rights, maybe 8" off the deck. Left I'm practically upright on turns sometimes.

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
I think a thing to be said here regarding trying to lean more in parking lots is that unless you can get into a lot that's large enough for you to safely get up to at least 45mph or abouts, I wouldn't try it. Turning at 25mph and trying to get more lean angle, gravity will pull you down. You need to go faster to counteract the force of gravity trying to pull the bike down when you lean it. You will not be able to hit the max lean angle with this method. Not many parking lots will be able to accomodate this, and watch out if they are concrete, those seams will cause wheels to slip.

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
I'll tell you one of the best places I went to learn how to lean was the mall parking lot after hours.
Most malls have two roads around the property, one outside ring that doesnt have a whole lot of change to it...it's just a circle, and the "inside track" that actually follows the contour of the buildings.
The inside track is great for getting experience in a relatively safe environment. Just watch out for sprinklers the run across the road since night time is when most places water the grass.
Ever have mall security run you out of there with their go-karts! Cool thing is most malls do have asphalt as their surface, but the down side is most are in horrible condition, littered with trash, so watch out! Good idea though, if I didn't give up night riding I would probably be there doing that!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.