Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'll tell you one of the best places I went to learn how to lean was the mall parking lot after hours.
Most malls have two roads around the property, one outside ring that doesnt have a whole lot of change to it...it's just a circle, and the "inside track" that actually follows the contour of the buildings.
The inside track is great for getting experience in a relatively safe environment. Just watch out for sprinklers the run across the road since night time is when most places water the grass.

·
Registered
120 Posts
one thing i havn't seen anyone mention is the fact that most lefthand turns are probably going to be a much wider turn than the average righthand turn... at least if you're living in the us... city driving leaves me with slow tight righthand turns and faster wider lefthand turns at intersections... you gotta work with what the road gives you...

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm much better with lefts then i am with right. I have no chicken strips on the left, but about 1/4" - 3/8" on the right.

I have been workin on my rights every time i go out. I've been noticing a combination of things that are all contributing to the problem... Most of which have already been mentioned.

-The throttle is in the right hand. I was not giving it throttle like i should in right turns.
-Right arm is very stiff. In a left turn I could pull my left hand off the bar and continue through the turn just fine. Not with the right (regardless of throttle)
-Body position, Just not as confortable with it as i am going left. I didn't find the groove yet.
-I tend to turn into right handers rather then counter steering. At times i can feel it plow through the turn. this is not good at all and i have been working on this.
-When i was first getting alittle more aggressive with my leans it was easier for me to learn left becuase I felt more comfortable in the outside of the road then in the inside. If that makes sense.. You go wide in a left, you go off the road. You go wide in a right, you go into another car.
-I tend to approach right handers differently. A left i'll go into the turn alittle deeper and throw the bike over in one motion. With the right i tend to gradually lean in baby steps much earlier. So the bike isn't leaned over as much, but its leaned over the a shorter amount of time.
-This ones a biggie... There is a nice circle in a rural area near my house. not alot of traffic. I could go around that as many times as I needed until i felt comfortable. Its a constant radius so there was noting unexpected to worry about. Good sight line, could adjust my body position with every lap. VERY helpful. Now i just need to find a right handed circle in the US.... hm

More importantly the one thing that sums all this up is me being a pussy. Now all this stuff I listed is running through my head at right turn. Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. Anywho, those are some of the problems i have been finding in my self. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I always thought that I was a little slower on right handers because the ditch was right there, like some scary grassy jaws that were trying to eat me up! Seriously though, I think that for me, the ditch in my periphreal vision made me a little less aggressive on the right handers.

My advice would be to get more saddle time and practice right handers. Maybe find a nice stretch of curvy road that's not too busy and really get to know it, get comfortable with it. Of course, the best thing to do would be a trackday/school where you could try to push yourself a little bit in a safer environment.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Unless you live in England, right turns are tighter because you drive on the right side of the road in the USA. Left turns give you more road to work with.

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
I'll tell you one of the best places I went to learn how to lean was the mall parking lot after hours.
Most malls have two roads around the property, one outside ring that doesnt have a whole lot of change to it...it's just a circle, and the "inside track" that actually follows the contour of the buildings.
The inside track is great for getting experience in a relatively safe environment. Just watch out for sprinklers the run across the road since night time is when most places water the grass.
Ever have mall security run you out of there with their go-karts! Cool thing is most malls do have asphalt as their surface, but the down side is most are in horrible condition, littered with trash, so watch out! Good idea though, if I didn't give up night riding I would probably be there doing that!

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Find an appropriate right hander that you take all the time. Start at a comfortable speed/lean angle for you. Then step it up, little by little, every day (with out ever going outside of your comfort zone). That's a good way to start building confidence.

Oh and read Twist of the Wrist 2, if you haven't. Lots of good ideas about handling in there.

·
Registered
120 Posts

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
I'd just do the same turn over and over and go a litttttttle bit faster every time. It's all you can really do.

It's even easier if you follow someone who will push you a little bit. I have to do that sometimes.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Find an appropriate right hander that you take all the time. Start at a comfortable speed/lean angle for you. Then step it up, little by little, every day (with out ever going outside of your comfort zone). That's a good way to start building confidence.

Oh and read Twist of the Wrist 2, if you haven't. Lots of good ideas about handling in there.
I'd just do the same turn over and over and go a litttttttle bit faster every time. It's all you can really do.

It's even easier if you follow someone who will push you a little bit. I have to do that sometimes.
Echo...echo...:D

Seriously though, that is a good way to go about it for those of us who don't often (or ever) get to the track. Pick out a turn that you take often (and are therefore comfortable with) and speed up little by little. It will do wonders for your confidence.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.