Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from what i have read lately ppl have been havin trouble with there 05-06 6r/rr's.The tranny is goin south with low miles.i alone put 500 miles on mine this past week.from what i see ppl been havin problems around 2000miles and up.well the rate im goin its not to far away.the only real thing we can do besides babying the bike is keepin up on the maintnance part i.e. changin oil.im tryin to find out what all u guys our usin for oil and if ur havin any problems.hopefully its just a few select ppl that are havin the problems for u i am sorry but for us who havent yet i hope it dont happen.[}:)]

·
Registered
181 Posts
my friend has a 06..hes had no problems with his tranny..im sure hes got well over 2k miles on it..he just recently put some type of synthetic it his bike...i cant remember what it was but for my bike i use the moble one synthetic with a k&n oil filter..that works good..feals smoother:D

·
Powerhungry
37,958 Posts
i know theres alot of ppl that will disagree with me here. DO NOT use full synth. other than that. i really dont think oil is the problem here. its a bad tranny, period. but from the team that races for kawi, i heard this 3rd person from my dealer. they are having problems with the trannies, and synth oils,
take that for what you will. but only kawi chem for me, from now on. i ran royal purple synth, and lost my tranny about 2k later.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've got 11k, and have used nothing but synthetic since breakin- no tranny probs yet

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have an '05 with 10,xxx mi and have only used castrol act-evo 10w-40 and have had zero tranny problems even with numerous passes at the strip. I've heard good things about synthetic but see no reason to switch.....

·
Registered
181 Posts
hmmm...that sounds understandable..but i know nothen of the new zx6s hehe so i cant say otherwize..[:M74]

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Originally posted by satan
from what i have read lately ppl have been havin trouble with there 05-06 6r/rr's.The tranny is goin south with low miles.i alone put 500 miles on mine this past week.from what i see ppl been havin problems around 2000miles and up.well the rate im goin its not to far away.the only real thing we can do besides babying the bike is keepin up on the maintnance part i.e. changin oil.im tryin to find out what all u guys our usin for oil and if ur havin any problems.hopefully its just a few select ppl that are havin the problems for u i am sorry but for us who havent yet i hope it dont happen.[}:)]
Are you having problems with the tranny now? I doubt it if you are putting 500 miles on the bike a weekend. Quit being so paranoid and just ride the damn bike. I'm at 2500 miles now, I ride it hard thru the canyons, hitting redline and jumping thru the gears like crazy when I need to. Bike is solid as a rock.

nevada, you had bad luck, sorry. But stop spreading rumors about the bike having a bad transmission. That is pure bullshit. Until you can get FIRST word straight from Kawasaki saying there is a trans issue, your 3rd person theory means squat. "My brothers best freinds uncles cousins sister told me...." Give me a fuckin break [:M8]

·
Registered
162 Posts
Puyullup huh, you're close by. I've got 5500 on my '06. I've rode the shit out of it all over, clutch up 2nd gear wheelies frequently and I have had no problems. I'm running spectra synth since about 2000 miles.

P.S. - If you haven't made the run up to Mt. St. Helens on 25 (windy ridge) it's a must in this area, probably the best road in the state.

·
Powerhungry
37,958 Posts
Originally posted by xtremewlr

Are you having problems with the tranny now? I doubt it if you are putting 500 miles on the bike a weekend. Quit being so paranoid and just ride the damn bike. I'm at 2500 miles now, I ride it hard thru the canyons, hitting redline and jumping thru the gears like crazy when I need to. Bike is solid as a rock.

nevada, you had bad luck, sorry. But stop spreading rumors about the bike having a bad transmission. That is pure bullshit. Until you can get FIRST word straight from Kawasaki saying there is a trans issue, your 3rd person theory means squat. "My brothers best freinds uncles cousins sister told me...." Give me a fuckin break [:M8]
sorry buddy but too bad
2500 isnt shit. mine went at 5k. and im at 13.5k now. so maybe YOU should ride it. i will tell EVERYONE. deal with it. ppl need to have ALL the information in front of them.

do a search through the yrs. kawi is KNOWN for having shitty trannies and tranny problems. its a big company that doesnt give a fuck.
i do have first word. if ud read. kawi told me i have to get my (replacement) gears custom cut to prevent it happening again. that right there is admitting theres a problem.

trust me dude, im not the ONLY person to lose a tranny on this board. so urs is still good..at what 2500? so what. so was mine

·
Registered
151 Posts
Originally posted by xtremewlr

[:Agree] i was worried about my tranny too until i realized that there is a few people out of a ton on here who post about problems so who cares.. i bought it and im gonna enjoy every mile i put on the damn thing

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Originally posted by nevada

sorry buddy but too bad
2500 isnt shit. mine went at 5k. and im at 13.5k now. so maybe YOU should ride it. i will tell EVERYONE. deal with it. ppl need to have ALL the information in front of them.

do a search through the yrs. kawi is KNOWN for having shitty trannies and tranny problems. its a big company that doesnt give a fuck.
i do have first word. if ud read. kawi told me i have to get my (replacement) gears custom cut to prevent it happening again. that right there is admitting theres a problem.

trust me dude, im not the ONLY person to lose a tranny on this board. so urs is still good..at what 2500? so what. so was mine
Like I said before, this isn't something new and is not limited to Kawi. The trans isn't junk regardless of what you might have heard from your 3rd party source. Kawi saying that you should have the gears cut is not them stating that there is a problems with the trans either. Until they come out and say that there is indeed an issue with the trans and they are recalling the bikes to fix this problem, THERE ISN'T ONE! [:M69][:M8]

And don't think this is limited to Kawi either. Like I said before, most of the major manufactured bikes have seen tranny failures, usually 2nd gear which is the issue that is being seen here. 2nd gear goes out and the trans dog gears are rounded. Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha are KNOWN for having trans problems too.

Some quick searching provided the following results.

Yamaha YZF600R trans issues:
http://www.yzf600r.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11984
http://www.yzf600r.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22044

Yamaha YZF600 R6 trans issues:
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11175
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19396

Honda 954 trans problems:
http://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-fireblade/48138-2nd-gear-pops-out-03-954-a.html

Suzuki GSXR trans problems:
http://www.gsxr.com/showthread.php?t=434

And yes, I only have 2500 miles on the bike. I bought it with 258 miles on July 6th. I put 1400 miles on it within 4 weeks and I ride it daily as I use the bike to commute 40 miles round trip to and from work along with doing at least a 100 mile canyon carving ride every weekend, usually more. I haven't had any problems, I hope I won't have any problems and I plan on getting the Factory Pro EVO kit to help avoid problems. But if I do, I'm not going to come here whining to everyone saying that the Kawi trans is junk or that synthetic oil will break your tranny or that Kawi won't fess up to a problem that is isolated to a few people.

Again, I'm sorry you had a problem and the same to all those that have but it isn't an epedemic problem that we all need to be preached to about. I'm not trying to hide information, like you I am trying to provide ALL the information that is out there.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Quote xtremewlr Again, I'm sorry you had a problem and the same to all those that have but it isn't an epedemic problem that we all need to be preached to about. I'm not trying to hide information, like you I am trying to provide ALL the information that is out there.

[:Agree] Guess what no machine is perfect as EVERYONE should know by now..All cars have issues and guess what bikes do as well..Some are design flaws,others just You got a Hang over bike..
Sucks that what? 3 people on this site have had issues out of how many 2005/06 owners?
Dont know how you ride,work the clutch, shift,if you even set up your bike for you or not...But Shit breaks on all vehicles..and i if it was under warranty you could of got it fixed. i am sure you may have to work the issue depending on the dealer.

If you paid $1600 to get a trans rebuild i would wonder about your inteligence, being you could get an almost new motor from any motorcycle recycler. sorry dude [:M60]

·
Powerhungry
37,958 Posts
Originally posted by jdgun_13
Quote xtremewlr Again, I'm sorry you had a problem and the same to all those that have but it isn't an epedemic problem that we all need to be preached to about. I'm not trying to hide information, like you I am trying to provide ALL the information that is out there.

[:Agree] Guess what no machine is perfect as EVERYONE should know by now..All cars have issues and guess what bikes do as well..Some are design flaws,others just You got a Hang over bike..
Sucks that what? 3 people on this site have had issues out of how many 2005/06 owners?
Dont know how you ride,work the clutch, shift,if you even set up your bike for you or not...But Shit breaks on all vehicles..and i if it was under warranty you could of got it fixed. i am sure you may have to work the issue depending on the dealer.

If you paid $1600 to get a trans rebuild i would wonder about your inteligence, being you could get an almost new motor from any motorcycle recycler. sorry dude [:M60]
it was turned into the dealer, expecting to be FIXED under warranty. thay tore it down. THEY had it. it wasnt covered.
now tell me, why would i want a used motor, that i had NO idea HOW it was treated to replace my BRAND new one. the 1600 was also including the teardown and inspect. that happened first, assuming a warranty was going to cover it.
i wanteed my bike back, so i paid. it had been like 4 months since i took it in.
your intelligence may be in question if your head is so far up your ass that you dont see a hell of alot more ppl then 3, thats had a problem.
and im not concerned if other bike brands have also had problems. i dont have those, thats giving me a problem, only my kawi.

to the OP sorry about the massive thread jack. all i did was pass along info i got regarding oil and this bike/tranny.
some ppl apparently have stock, in kawi and got defensive when theyre bottom line was threatened

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Originally posted by nevada

it was turned into the dealer, expecting to be FIXED under warranty. thay tore it down. THEY had it. it wasnt covered.
now tell me, why would i want a used motor, that i had NO idea HOW it was treated to replace my BRAND new one. the 1600 was also including the teardown and inspect. that happened first, assuming a warranty was going to cover it.
i wanteed my bike back, so i paid. it had been like 4 months since i took it in.
your intelligence may be in question if your head is so far up your ass that you dont see a hell of alot more ppl then 3, thats had a problem.
and im not concerned if other bike brands have also had problems. i dont have those, thats giving me a problem, only my kawi.

to the OP sorry about the massive thread jack. all i did was pass along info i got regarding oil and this bike/tranny.
some ppl apparently have stock, in kawi and got defensive when theyre bottom line was threatened
Hind sight is always 20/20, I ain't gunna rag on you about your ordeal with the dealership you took your bike to. Jdgun was using the used engine thing as an example tho, not suggesting that you necessarily should have bought a used engine. $1600 is somewhat of a high price for giving you back a torn down engine and saying you are SOL.

I really wish I had stock in Kawi, I'd be making some decent bank if I did. I wouldn't call this a thread jack. This thread has pretty much remained on topic which was the OP asking about the '05/'06 transmission taking a dump and what oil was suggested by people to help avoid that problem. You posted some misinformation about Kawi trannys being junk and not using synthetic oils. I responded to that. You got bent for being called on your misinformation and we progressed from there. 3rd party information about a race team having issues with the tranny and synthetic oils is not realiable enough information to go telling everyone that synthetic oils are crap and if you use them, your trans is gunna take a shit. Racing is not street and we are talking about bikes that are ridden on the street here.

The point is, not all of the kawi transmissions are junk and synthetic oil more than likely did not cause yours to fail. There is absolutly nothing wrong with using sythetic oils in these engines. They will not cause transmission failures. Yes, more than 3 people have had trany problems but we are still talking a small handfull of people compared to the number of people on this sight and other sights like it and then there are all those people out there that don't even post. We only have 10 or 15 people that have posted up trans issues. There are 12,551 active posters on the site out of 25,710 registered members. Tell me how this makes all the kawi transmission in the '05/'06 ZX-6R junk.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok before ppl get all ass hurt about "rumors".i wasnt tryin to start any so u can stop actin a fool.if u have no problems with ur bike well great for u neither do i.this topic i put up was just to let out that ppl are havin some problems and the ppl who arent what type of oil are they using and so on.its not a rumor if u read some other topics there are a few ppl with this problem unfortunatly.so this was here just to inform and help.so pull ur thong outa ur arss cause its just some info.[}:)]

·
Registered
70 Posts
to get back on topic...
i use rotella 5w-40 full synthetic and i have not had any problems with 11K miles on my bike.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.