Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what kind of rims do you guys use to cut down on weight?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Hehe, How much money do you want to spend?

Marchesini might make a set but you're looking at $3,000 for the magnesium jobbies.

Marvic, Blackstone and Oz are some other options. Again, you're looking at some serious money though.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Depends on what you want to do with them. Carbon Fiber would save the most weight, but you probably won't be allowed to race with them. Magnesium is the next best, but I have seen alluminum rims with close savings. Alluminum will be more durable. PVM has some good rims. They are light and cost less than most. Here is a pic of their new jobbies.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh hell yea!!!:D those look sweet!!! shibby!lol

·
Registered
94 Posts
If it's a track bike, you can save even more weight with a 16.5 inch rim. I don't think their is suitable rubber for street riding for 16.5 inch rims thou. Those tires are for fast track action.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Those pvm wheels you have pictured, where can i find info on them? I seem to find pvm wheels but not in that style. Thanks

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I'd stay away from the pressed aluminum jobbies unless you've got some smooth roads to roll on. You get what you pay for!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how many of you guys use aftermarket rims?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
If I was on the market for aftermarket rims, I'd stay away from carbon and magnesium items because there are not the most durable option and I don't like the idea that a minor cock up when changing tyres etc. could result in a financial disaster. I'd go for forged aluminium rim's because they are not so fragile and the weight difference isn't _that_ big on quality items...

·
Registered
207 Posts
The Feb. issue of Sport Rider has an article comparing aftermarket "HOOPS".

Cost vs. weight. I'll take the Marvic cast magnesium Penta's. $1820 retail.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I dont understand why you would spend all that money on aftermarket rims...get some prolite rotors for the front, drill out the rear rotor, and spend the extra cash you woulda spent on the rims on tires and trackdays and learn to get fast..you go to the race track and will see very very few people running anything but stockers...you can only get slicks for 16.5s as well...Do you wanna look pretty or do you wanna be fast?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
getting lighter rims would cut down on a lot of weight...not because they weigh less but becasue when the wheel/rim starts spinning it has a greater wieght because of the gyroscopic force...there's something that explains it better than me in sport rider

·
Registered
619 Posts
yeah, I don't remember the specifics but somthing like 1 pound at the wheel is the same as 5 elsewhere. Could be off in that figure, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
562 Posts
yes it is true that the rims cut down on weight and there for less rotating mass making it easier to turn it..but unless you guys are looking only for an extra half a second a lap, then theres no reason to spend the cash, cause thats all your gonna get

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sure it could - but I think Quicktoy's point is that improving your riding is a much better way to get that extra 0.5 second and a whole lot more! If you're a pro and ride perfect then losing that extra weight might be worth it. However, if you're like the rest of us, a few trackdays will make quite a bit more difference in your lap times than some light wheels.

·
Registered
562 Posts
exactly ridgerider...yall come to jennings and practise in this offseason..i'll be tuning my 636 at jennings Jan24-25 to get ready for homestead race in miami in early february
First year expert ...uhoh
hope to get down to 20s consitently at jennings on my takeoffs

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.