Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.presstelegram.com/news/ci_4443389

Saw this in the paper this morning. The bike was reportedly doing about 80mph on a street with a speed limit of 40mph. This occured near a community college at mid-day...too much traffic around there to be driving that speed. Can't say I blame the cager for not seeing this guy coming before making her turn.

Ride safe everyone

PS I do not believe the biker deserved what he got because he was speeding. I myself tend not to obey speed limits. I do however feel the cager cannot be held responsible for this accident.

·
Registered
374 Posts
It was not known if the other motorcycle rider was merely a witness, or had been racing with the suspect, who was pronounced dead at the scene, Wong said. ...

Channel 7 reported the 2 were racing .... why else would you be doing 80...

So someone comes up and tries to draw you into a race, reving their engine, what do u do?...

Let them go, not worth the risk of your life.. besides, no one gives a shit if your bike is faster or not.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My first thought when I read this was I hoped it wasn't a neighbor of mine who I worry about. He goes to LBCC and would possibly be in that area at the time. He has an old Honda F2 600...he has been talking about buying a liter bike. He just turned 21 and no amount of talking to him about not driving like a bat out of hell thru the neighborhood because he could get killed when someone backs out of their driveway or turns onto the street he's on from a cross street has had any effect. He's young and feels invincible. I doubt this was him as I think I would have heard something by now. Sounded also like the bike was newer...but who knows...to some people sport bikes are all the same.

I agree...80mph in a 40mph is out of hand. Most likely these guys were racing.

I never race others. I don't care if their bike is faster than mine or not. Maybe being a female helps with that?

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Why do you guys assume they were racing? When you go on group rides, and potentially exceed the limit with other individuals riding along, are you racing? Or are you riding together above the speed limit? I'm not saying 80 in a 40 isn't reckless endangerment, but the details of this accident are very vague.. Don't assume things.

·
Registered
374 Posts
zero cool, you have to know the area to assume they were racing.. We live within a few miles of the crash site... I agree on group rides I tend to wick it up but Im not racing, but this would be in the country with no or light traffic.. the accident area is near a college in a city environment. I feel sorry for the poor judgement the rider made and the tragedy.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
word in the paper indicates that it is debateable whether the two bikes were racing...however estimate of the bikes speed is still around 80mph.

The woman in the car is "clinging" to life and has been transferred to a burn unit in Torrance with burns over 60% of her body. She likely would have died if not for witnesses who pulled her out of the car while she and the car were on fire and them dousing the flames on her body. I hope she recovers but recovering from burns can be tricky not to mention extremely painful.

Be careful out there everyone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Geeez.. racing or not, 80mph or anywhere close to that on Carson Blvd isn't too smart.

Think about it like this: No where in the USA is there a 80mph speed limit posted. Even on a trip to Vegas on the 15fwy where there's nothing but desert and Joshua trees (and NO cross traffic) the limit is 70.

And Zero Cool, there's a big difference between riding 10mph or so above the speed limit as a group vs doing 40mph above the limit in a 40mph zone. I must say..I don't recall the last time I've even gone 80mph in a 40mph zone in my CAR.

I feel bad for the rider's family but not for the rider. The guy unnecessarily caused his family grief and pretty much made the cager's life and her family miserable. She's in the hospital with 3rd degree burns over 60% of her 49yr old body. At least the rider pretty much died instantly.

Hopefully, everyone on this board is smarter than that. As trig said, if you must speed, try to do it where there's no cross traffic or direct oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had to go to LBCC today and saw the intersection where this accident happened. There is construction going on in the area with signs indicating a 25mph speed limit in the area. The left turn lane opposite this one was blocked with construction signs obstucting the view of oncoming traffic that the woman in the car would have had. Doubt she ever saw him coming because of the obstruction and his speed.

There were candles and flowers on the curb for the motrocyclist. RIP.

Wonder how the woman is doing. I hope she recovers.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Man I hope the driver of the car recovers and RIP to the biker.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.