Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I want a bike to learn on but I'm worried that I will outgrow the 250R quickly and lose a lot of money on resale due to depreciation. At the same time, buying a used bike sounds fine and will be cheaper, but as an entry level bike I worry that it was abused, dropped, not maintained properly, and maybe even to the point of being unsafe as a result.

What should I look out for in a used bike? Which would be the better buy? $2,000 ish for a used EX (not too old) or closer to double for a new Ninja 250R?

Cheers!

·
ratherberiding
18,438 Posts
Performance-wise you prolly wouldn't know the difference between the 2. I'd say go with the EX. You 'll be much more comfortable learning on a bike you don't mind dropping :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:rolleyes: and what makes you think that ?
Just everything that I've been hearing from people. I expect to move up within a few months to another bike, so by the summer of 2009 most likely.

Of course, one never knows, but I want to minimize my financial desctruction as much as possible. :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Right now the '08 models aren't depreciating. Depending on how many miles you put on, you would probably loose a couple hundred $$ overall on a '07.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
There's a silver '07 for sale on my local Craigslist (Worcester, MA) this morning. It has only 880 miles, is in mint condition and is going for only $3000.

How could you possibly lose on a deal like that? :confused:

Good barely-used bikes are out there. You just need to look for them.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Just everything that I've been hearing from people. I expect to move up within a few months to another bike, so by the summer of 2009 most likely.

Of course, one never knows, but I want to minimize my financial desctruction as much as possible. :D
Then just get a bigger bike right out the gate. I mean, since your mind is made up and everything.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts