Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm confused, are you referring to the rivets which hold the outer sleeve to the end caps? I don't think there is any way to bolt both end caps on, there is no access to the inside after putting the second end cap on. Rivets are the perfect fastener for this job.

Gary Milcheck
'03 Kawi ZX636R
'00 Duc 748R

·
Registered
537 Posts
I run full muzzy with carbon fiber can. Rivets (in) side of the can got a bit loose (well after I crashed the bike), but carbon fiber is fine. I looked it over and I don’t think there is any damage to the pipe.
Anyhow I want to fix it. I’ve seen some pipes that use bolts instead of rivets, can I convert my pipe to use bolts? Has anyone done it?

ZX6R-J1 2000

·
Registered
768 Posts
Buy a rivet gun. They're only $10.

Dan...comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I don't really like rivets anywhere, need special tools to install and a pain to remove.
Well if it can't be done, where do they sell $10 rivet guns? Do I need a permit? [:p] Waiting period?

ZX6R-J1 2000

·
Registered
768 Posts
Does anyone in your family have a history of mental illness? Are you a fellon?

Go to home depot. Riveting isn't that hard and at least they won't loosen up and rattle.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Nexus,
I have converted several from rivets to screws with complete success. I also hate the stupid rivets. Just plain a lousy design. All I do is weld 5 mm nuts to the inside of the end caps and use stainless steels screws with plastic fairing washers to protect the finish. This looks much better and makes inspection a breeze. It's a pretty touchy welding process and can't be done by just anyone. I also used a tig welder instead of a mig.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I wish I could weld.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.