Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I ordered the RK sprocket and chain sete for my 600.. but i just found out that it comes with the clip type master link,,, I have read a few posts on this page saying that clip type are dangereous and a few saying that they are ok... any concensus?

if they are dangerous, why are they? do they fall off? jam? how long can I expect it to last?

THanks,
Tex

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
You will get more than one answer to this question. You might as well have asked for the best chain lube.

A chains fails at its weakest link, the master link. Even a properly installed clip can fall off with little warning. At worst, the chain then snags on the engine sprocket or locks the rear wheel with obvious results.

You can better your chances by safety-wiring the clip. Or you can use the clip to ride to your local shop, who will then fit a rivet link for little coin.

·
Registered
49 Posts
yeah i just put that set on my bike and used a rivet link instead. But damn outting on that sprocket set is like riding a new bike

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I've got two month old Renthal sprockets and an RK clip-style masterlink on my bike, and haven't had one problem so far. I too heard the horror stories about the chain falling off or breaking, but in my opinion, it is highly unlikely. Just clip the masterlink so that the open end faces towards your rear tire when it is above the swingarm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.