Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well unfortunately my riding season is over for the next couple of months or so. Nevertheless, I happened to be caging along down the freeway today and happened to look over and see cars swurving around a muffler that fell of a truck farther down. It made me think about all the road hazards we have to keep a keen eye out for while riding our bikes. What are some of you guys' experiences and close calls with road hazards such as pot holes, debris, ect.? I remember on day I was doing about 80 - 85 down the freeway at night, and out of nowhere there was this huge pot hole in the middle of the fast lane. It had to be about 6-8 inches deep and 1.5 feet wide. Fortunately, I seen it in time and cut around it. Man, if I would have hit it I would have went airborn over to the other side of the freeway as the pothole was in the midst of a turn.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Originally posted by arturo3rd
old people:D
lol...move bitch, get out the way!
i nearly got taken out by a 18 wheeler[}:)] bastard was trying to turn into my lane...so i cranked on the gas and got ahead of him before the road ran out (it was an exit lane he was turning into...but not right at the exit)

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
You want stories about stuff in the road? How many hours you got?
Limited to on bike stuff, or should I include car stuff to?

BC.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Hey Spartan, have you ever been in an 18 wheeler? ...The blind spots are HUGE and the "bastard" probably didn't even see you... Either that or he was just encouraging you to get MOVIN'! ;) (With 18 wheelers, the safest choice is to blast past.) :D

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
yea, that's what i thought....oh well..i hardly ever lay on my horn...i don't think people can really hear it and usually if you react right away you're good but it takes time to press the horn and then react

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
OHHHHHHHH! SSSSSSSSHHHHHEEEEITTTT Road hazards 90% of the Kentucky population is a freakin road hazard. No such thing as a fast line every lane is a freagin slow truck lane and the sides of the roads are littered with broken down 1980's era american cars and exploded truck tires. Hell i should be world motorcycle champion with the dodging i do in a day

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
hit a shered tire in the road with my old ex500r. but held on for deer life.:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
around here is is DEER!

On my old '98 6r I was on a back road, twisty. I was coming out of a right hand sweeper, blind one and it opens up onto the best straight on the road. I was accelerating HARD coming out of the turn. maybe up to 80 as it went through a little left-right bend then when it opened up I see a DEER right in the middle of this little back road!

At the speed I was doing and the distance from the deer braking was not an option. He was frozen from my headlight I just picked left and went he ran right. I was lucky!

A girl in our club here was riding on Skyline drive. For those that arent around it is a beautiful road through the Shenandoah. It was about 14 bikes.

They were speeding but not too much, she came around a corner and went SMACK into a 500lb black bear!

The bike was totaled, the bear went flying and so did the girl. The bear just got up and ran off the road. luckly the girl was only bruised and he full face saved her jaw. It was jacked up from Bouncing on the road. Had she been wearing a beanie her jaw would have been destroyed!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Here are a few that have given me some problems in the past...

sand
gravel
salt (the crap they put on the roads to melt snow)
wet paint strips
wet leaves
grass (people mow and shoot grass out all over the roads)
animals (deer, dogs etc..)

and the biggest hazard of all are the other cages on the road...

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
ditto...old people...

and I ditto everything Andy said too...A big one around here is slow moving farm equipment. You can easily come around a blind corner straight into a combine. They don't send vehicles ahead to warn you about a big green monster that is taking up the whole road...

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I once had a mattress fly out of the back of a truck. I ducked and it went right over my head. I had to pull off at the next exit, collect myself, and throw away my soiled underwear.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I was on my way home on a rainy night and came up on a deer carcass on the road. Visibility was really low, and I had little time to react to miss it. I didn't want to do anything too evasive or I would slip on the wet road. I did what I needed to just miss the deer, and only managed to run over a severed leg.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Living in rural Western Australia I have met a few obstacles on my travels...

a large round bale of hay on the other side of a blind corner. Narrowly missed it.

a mob of emus on a isolated road when I was going 200kmh. (Missed them all...pure luck rather than skill)

a few kangaroos (missed them)

A few years ago I hit a roo in my car and it completely destroyed the front end of my car. It ended up going under the car and got caught up in the suspension of the car behind me. In the car behind me were a family of city people on holiday and they freaked out. All the kids in the back were crying and the parents weren't much better.

The dad tried reversing to get the roo untangled but on of its legs was caught up and I ended up having to use an axe to hack the leg off so I could get it out. I emerged from under their car with blood all over my hands, dragging the leg and the kids freaked out even more. I think they would have needed therapy to get over it all[:p].

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
- Animals (includes squids ;)). Only direct hit so far has been a bird...
- Sand/oil/diesel/gravel/manhole covers etc.
- Cars

·
Registered
206 Posts
Close encounters: Moose, Black Bears (2), lots of deer, turtles and.... a Grizzly in the backwoods of Oregon. Tested my acceleration to the limit after that one [:0]

·
Registered
105 Posts
Originally posted by LOK

They were speeding but not too much, she came around a corner and went SMACK into a 500lb black bear!
[:M68]Sorry but I almost laughed myself off my chair when I read this. :D

I know bad [V] me but its funny.[:M68]

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Originally posted by LOK
around here is is DEER!

The bike was totaled, the bear went flying and so did the girl. The bear just got up and ran off the road. luckly the girl was only bruised and he full face saved her jaw. It was jacked up from Bouncing on the road. Had she been wearing a beanie her jaw would have been destroyed!
Fortunately the bear wasn't hungry [:M28]

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.