Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm going on holidays in May and I plan on riding from Brisbane to Perth. God help me. It works out to be 4748kms or 2948 miles!!! Most of it is across desert! Anyone who's been on a LONG distance ride can you give me any pointers from your experience? I wont be able to take much with me. Water is my main concern. And fuel. I dont even know if they have 98 octane fuel out west?? Hmmm maybe i should just drive[?]

·
Registered
206 Posts
Never been to Oz so can't help. Which way are you going? Through Alice or along the south coast? It'll be a hell of a trip. Keep a diary and post it up here.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
2948 miles would be sticking pretty much to the south coast route. going through alice cuts it down to about 2550, but is probably the less desirable of the two routes.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I've been on some 3,000 mile trips on my '95. What is the longest distance between fuel sources? I am going to Daytona, Florida from south Texas in March, probably about 2,500 miles round trip. The first 1,000 miles I am going to do in less than 24 hours so I can get one of the Iron Butt Association's certificates.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
i can never do more than 500 miles in one sit down ride. i have sensitive ass muscles:D

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I'm taking the south coast route. I go from Brisbane, across towards Dubbo, down along South Australia's coast and across the Nullabor Plain ( the desert bit, how fun.) I will be doing it on my new bike (either 10R, R1 or 03 9R, havent decided yet[:I]). Thing is I'm beginning to think this is a good way to ruin a new bike. I'm gonna break it in at home and get the first service or two out of the way b4 the big trip itself but its pretty harsh country out there. Any Aussies on the forum know the condition of the road across the Nullabor? I dont want my brand new bike stone chipped to death and choking on red dust. Not to mention getting vandalised by aborigines as I try and get some sleep.:(
Any1 recommend a particular tankbag?
and a throttle lock? I dunno if we can get them anywhere in Australia?? What about tyre repair kits and stuff like that. Worth taking?

·
Registered
333 Posts
A camel back for water.And better wearing tyres are the main things. I think the road should be fine.
maybe some octane boost incase there's no 98octane fuel
try www.travelmate.com.au
there might be some info of use on that site
And don't ride at night too many critters out then.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yeah we DO have 98 octane fuel and premium fuel. You would want to take extra fuel and water just in case. Buy some sport/touring tyres cause they will get squared off.

Me and some friends are planning to ride across to see the Phillip Island GP in 2005 and then we are going up the east coast and across the top end and back down the west coast back home. We have three months off work to do it in. I will need a butt transplant after the trip.

Oh yeah if you dont have a rack on yer bike buy one. It will save a lot of hassle. I have a Ventura one.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmm... I need a BMW R1150GS Adventure......can someone lend me $20,000??

·
Registered
261 Posts
Wolf to quote you "Not to mention getting vandalised by aborigines as I try and get some sleep".
Blatant racist statements like that really piss me off. I have some Aboriginal mates and I see them copping shit like this stereotypical crap on a regular basis.\

I hope yer bike DOES get trashed.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Dude, looking back on my statement i realise that it may have come across as being racist and i apologise. Whenever i tell people about my trip and going across the Nullarbor they always throw in a "watch out for aborigines." I guess I shouldnt be so naive and I'll take these comments with a grain of salt from now on. I detest racism, i also have friends of many different nationalities, i just thought that there was some truth to the comments about their (aboroiginies) agressive behaviour out on the Nullarbor. I guess it is a sweeping generalisation and i know there are a lot of agressive caucasian people out there also. Sorry again bro, my intentions were anything but racist.

·
Registered
261 Posts
No worries. I just hate to see my Ab mates cop shit when we go out anywhere and I am perhaps a bit hyper sensitive about it all.

Sorry about the bike getting trashed statement[:I]

On my trip across the Nullabor we are taking swags and are going to pull off the road (out of towns) and sleep right next to the bikes so there wont be any problems with dickheads messing with the bike.

You can buy small swags especially for use on bikes, but I have taken the mattress out (too bulky) and replaced it with on of those thin foam mats used by hikers. It doesnt take up too much space.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah i was thinking of doing the same thing. Camp off road, outta sight from anyone, right next to my bike. Swag and mat sound like a good idea too. Here's my gear list so far:
Swag/bag, DriRider Extreme suit, Gore-tex boots, maps, compass, proper toolkit, tyre repair kit, chain and lock, digital camera, leatherman, sunscreen + lotion, first-aid kit, camelback + extra water, headlamp (in case i break down in the dark), mobile, general clothing...... more to come....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.