Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my dad are thinking of taking a few trips this summer. I have a 2007 6R and was wondering if you guys think that this will be possible. It will be at least 5 hours ride one way, with a good section of straight road. Anyone ever take their SS on a journey like this before? Or i am just looking for a speedy road to some major back/wrist pain?

View Larger Map">
View Larger Map

This one would be from Medicine Hat to Whitefish. Once we pass Lethbridge the roads start to get good, and once we go into Glacier Nat Park, the roads get delicious. Think this is do-able? About a five hour trip. 2.5 to Lethbridge.

The next one is as follows.

View Larger Map">
View Larger Map

This one would be from Med Hat, in the far right. Along the #3, then #6, then up a little to Kelowna. That's looking at around 9-11 hours i think, not quite sure. The roads are much better, again, once past Lethbridge.

So what do you guys think? Would you try it?

· What is this place?
18,511 Posts
Everything is possible if you put your mind to it... I mean we went to the moon (teehehehe) that makes me laugh.
But do it man, I saw someone else on here that had saddle bags and was roadtripping an 09 6r

· Premium Member
10,438 Posts
should not be bad at all...people ride 400 miles in one day with mixed riding on these bikes.
given i have 636 a little more relaxed riding position, but 400miles is not even a debatable point.
will be riding 800miles one way in 2 days then riding backroads come august, and i am pretty busted up knee and shoulder wise and have no worry.

· No Regrets
497 Posts
Definitely possible, no doubt. The few things to remember when taking long trips, prepare and take breaks, as needed. Enjoy the trip, don't just make it about driving there and back. If it was just about driving, you would probably take a car. Stop and smell the roses along the way. Good luck and have fun bro.

· Registered
372 Posts
There is a guy on another forum that put over 200k miles on his 2004 CBR600. I looked at almost every sport bike before I bought mine, CBR and GSXRs were the most uncomfortable ones. So if this guy can put that many miles on his CBR you can do a road trip on your 6R.

· Hooligan
1,704 Posts
There is a guy on another forum that put over 200k miles on his 2004 CBR600. I looked at almost every sport bike before I bought mine, CBR and GSXRs were the most uncomfortable ones. So if this guy can put that many miles on his CBR you can do a road trip on your 6R.
depends on the person, height etc
at 5'8 185 lbs cbrs and gsxrs are the most comfortable for me.... id just never own a gsxr .

but ive owned cbrs

· Registered
120 Posts
Never give up the chance to ride with your father. Will be fun, and makes memories. If it gets too uncomfortable...you could try lowering links for the back end, and clip-on risers for more comfort. Or if you can do it on the 07 model.....clip-on flip and swap which will enable you to bend over less to reach your clip-ons. Have fun...

· Registered
3,816 Posts
Buddy of mine went from Joplin, MO to Daytona, FL in a day and a half on his 02 RC51, (he's a bit of a crazy fuck though). You should be good.

I've personally logged around 300 miles in a day on my 6R, just be sure to stop for a few minutes quite often to rest and stretch and you will be fine.

· Registered
948 Posts
Hell, my brother road 850 miles in one day to visit me on an R6.....

· Overwhelming Splendidery
13,506 Posts
A 1000km and a 1100km day were my longest.

I don't do that shit anymore, but it's possible. I currently ride around 550km round trip to visit my daughter, and I don't have to stop between fuel stops anymore - you just have to get a bit conditioned for it.

· Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you guys all think that it's quite doable, I'm sure that i will have a stab at it. Take my time, stretch, do other fun things like that. Thanks for the input. :cheers-004:

· Registered
372 Posts
depends on the person, height etc
at 5'8 185 lbs cbrs and gsxrs are the most comfortable for me.... id just never own a gsxr .

but ive owned cbrs
I guess everyone is different. Im a little bit taller and fatter than you. Ive always found the Ninjas and Yamahas to be the most comfortable for me.

· Registered
2,237 Posts
You sure as hell won't be comfortable after the 3rd hour. I went to ohio, about a 6 hr ride, and I thought my neck was going to break off, my ass was on fire and my legs/arms were numb. I made it though, and came back 3 days later. I wouldn't do it again without getting an ass cushion and a double bubble. I did it on a ZX7R though, and those are notoriously tank-hunching bikes. Having longer arms wouldn't hurt either!

· Registered
497 Posts
I did a 2,000 mile round trip ride on my '07 ZX6R with a friend on his '07 ZX6R and another buddy on his '08 R6. Rode to the Tail of the Dragon...did the whole trip in 3 days, so yes this is definitely doable. Like the other guys said, take breaks as you need them and stay hydrated. The further you go the less breaks you'll probably take so don't worry about losing time in the beginning by taking frequent breaks. Good luck and ride safe!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.