Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not one to bash what other people ride, if you are on two wheels thats great. And I have ridden a ton of different bikes and they are all fun in their own way... but yesterday, I rode my dad's Big Dog K9 for the first time and you need to ride one to understand how much of a death trap they are. I know my point of view would change a little with experience on that particular bike, but from an experienced riders standpoint, those types of bikes are make for looking at and thats it. It is 10 feet long and has a 300 back tire. You can't turn at slow speeds.. U turns are terrifying. You are unstable at high speeds. I scraped the exhaust pipes on the ground while making a right turn onto an on ramp which is scary because that means the swingarm and frame werent far from the ground. I went over some uneven pavement while pulling into a parking lot and it almost ripped the handlebars out of my hands because the back tire is so wide that when one side of the wheel goes up a bump first the bike jerks to the side. Transmission was clunky. Rear brake worked better than the front. The motor is 117 cubic inches and it had a ton of power but vibrated my balls off whenever the RPM went above 2500. I would be going around a slight curve and it looked like the pegs were going to hit the ground. I'm sure I'd get better at riding it with time, but I probably wont ever ride it again. But hey, my dad likes it and his girlfriends have gotten hotter since he bought it. Anyone else ride one of these things?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
cant say that i have, but i see choppers all the time down here around daytona and i always wonder to myself how the hell these people control something 10-12 feet long with handle bars that are over their heads and pipes that are already only 2 inches from the ground when the bike is stright up.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Met a guy tuesday. Said he rides an older Honda cruiser/chopper? He said no matter what tires he gets for it they're always hard for that bike & is constantly sliding all over the road losing traction. He said that he didnt care for the bike really, but its his.

In my MSF class one of my instructors had a Harley and the other had a Gold Wing.. MAN, after some students werent performing the exercises incorrectly, a few times they'd get on & do it themselves on their bikes. You shoulda seen our faces as they were doing figure 8's and other formations on those huge machines like it was nothing!! :eek:They did some scraping of course, but they werent concerned about it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
In my MSF class one of my instructors had a Harley and the other had a Gold Wing.. MAN, after some students werent performing the exercises correctly, a few times they'd get on & do it themselves on their bikes. You shoulda seen our faces as they were doing figure 8's and other formations on those huge machines like it was nothing!! :eek:They did some scraping of course, but they werent concerned about it.
In my MSF class, the instructor did perfect figure 8s on a Harley Road King. It was nasty.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I haven't either but my neighbor down the street has a Big Dog as well. He offered to let me ride it and I turned him down, I knew I wouldn't be comfortable riding it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I don't think I would ever want to ride one because they are dangerous like you said, and I would never own one so I'd have to ride someone elses and I don't want to drop their bike.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've got a friend who owns a local motorcycle shop (tuner shop, not a dealership) and he has an Eagle Rider franchise, which means he rents Harleys. I've ridden a couple of them, a Road King and a Full Dresser and then two of the guys that work for me have Sportsters, both of which I've ridden. All of those bikes have their strengths I suppose, but they're all heavy and just plainly stated, crap, compared to all the things a sportbike does well. The brakes aren't as good, they don't turn as well, the power delivery from the motor is unusual, their friggin loud-it's just no comparison.

On the other hand, another good friend of mine, who owns Trackcrafters and is partners with Doug Chandler for his road racing school, routinely brings his Goldwing when we go attack the Sierra's for a couple days. I have to ride at 80% to keep up with him on that Goldwing-that motorcycle is incredible. Gobs of power, gobs of brakes, and it's so big that if you're scraping through the corners it truly is a non event.

He took my wife out two up at Buttonwillow this year and we had to ride at about 60% to stay with them on the track. We went out in the begineers group and passed literally every sportbike on the track playing tag. My wife laughed her head off-at over 100mph. Then we came in and he motioned me to jump on with him. We rode around at a spirited pace, he showed me a couple lines and then stopped short on the pit lane so he could clutch wheelie that monster:D, with me on the back, down the pit lane. I'm not talking a little speed wheelie, I'm talking your full sky shot.

So while some big bikes are slow and big, others will just flat embarrass you if the guy riding it knows what he's doing!!

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
45,304 Posts
but from an experienced riders standpoint, those types of bikes are make for looking at and thats it.

Um, yea! Ridability is low on the list of reasons for wanting to own one, IMHO. Kind of like guys who are into restoring classic cars, they look awesome but are rarely driven. But if that's what your into, that's cool.

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
I think it's funny when the chopper guys talk about how uncomfortable the sportbikes must be. Any bike where your arms are two feet above your heart, you lose feeling eventually. Not to mention the lack of suspension and feet forward/back curved in a "?" sort of way.

--David

·
Registered
267 Posts
then stopped short on the pit lane so he could clutch wheelie that monster:D, with me on the back, down the pit lane. I'm not talking a little speed wheelie, I'm talking your full sky shot.
Holy crap, I would have been buying him a new seat if it had been me on the back....lol. :p
Sounds fun tho

·
Banned
150 Posts
The motor is 117 cubic inches and it had a ton of power but vibrated my balls off whenever the RPM went above 2500.
But hey, my dad likes it and his girlfriends have gotten hotter since he bought it. Anyone else ride one of these things?
Dude... those statements along are reason enough for me to want one.

I get a vibration in my balls, and hot chicks on the back? :D

·
ratherberiding
18,438 Posts
They suck for turning. I've always felt uber-unsafe on them compared to sportbikes.

Guess you get used to them, I'd rather not

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I think some are getting the terms cruiser and chopper intermingled and messed up. They are not the same thing, goldwings, harleys, and the like are cruisers. Choppers are bikes like this one

Riding them IS a whole different experience and feel...Just like a "bullet bike" I wouldn't want to go long distances on them. Their strength is as a show bike that pussy riders would complain is too hard/uncomfortable to ride.

U-turning a chopper, depending on the bike and rider you could possibly do the 24' MSF box. Doing it in 20' just ain't gonna happen if the bike is 10' long.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The instability comes from the rake. The tire doesnt pivot when turned, it falls over. The contact patch moves way up the tire simply trying to change lanes.

I rode one a few years ago... ill never do it again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts