Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Met a COOL guy this past weekend.. He's a neighbor of my friend, & a kid told me that he rode bikes, so i decided to finally stop & say hi..

He owns an all black 08 GSX1000. Full yoshi exhaust. Turns out he owns a car custom shop in the next city. He gave me a windscreen, but turns out it didnt fit my bike. Then he offered to put some bolts in place of my front reflectors, & some other small stuff to help my bikes appearance.

I was asking if my chained needed to be tightened. Looking at it he said "looks like it" then asked to ride it up the short neighborhood street. After riding he said it felt fine, but not enuff power for him.. He then told me to try his liter :eek:.

After telling him no 5-6 times b/c of having only 600 miles exp. on only one bike & didnt want in anyway to drop his bike & was terrified of liters in the first place i went ahead & took a ride. P-O-W-E-R! I didnt even roll the throttle much, i was basically riding idle the entire time,lol. But all i can say is WOW! He kept tellin me i was disrespecting his bike by not at least rolling the throttle a little, but all i could think of was how much potential power was there & NOT wanting to drop his bike by any means. I'm trying to fight the urge of wanting to move up, so i'm trying to forget the whole experience & work on getting a full Akra to help compensate,lol. He said that i need to move up to a liter in the winter. :rolleyes: Being that its 'ur wrist that kills you, not the bike'. Then of course in classic Suzuki fashion he was tellin me about 130mph wheelies he's cut back on doing...

Using only 5% of FIRST gear, it felt like all gears above that would be OVERKILL! I can see how people can get addicted to all that power which is why i dont want to ride another one anytime soon. I've been shaking the desire of wanting one all weekend:D. Ergos even felt really nice. Sadly i'm gonna have to cut down on the suzuki trash talking from now on. Really nice bike. Just wish my first liter ride was a kawi.

Anyone else have stories of their first times on liters??

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
Rode my first liter bike the other day...and the day before that and the day before that...oh wait...I own one. My bad. Carry on. :D

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Rode my first liter bike the other day...and the day before that and the day before that...oh wait...I own one. My bad. Carry on. :D
ass :Laughing rolling:

·
Registered
279 Posts
A guy I used to ride with had a 2002 Gixxer 1000. I had my ex500 at the time. I told him I had never ridden one bigger than my 500. He tossed me the keys, and said "Go have a blast. Careful, the clutch pull is short". Thank christ he warned me because I would have looped the thing. It is just crazy fast and powerful. Never will see the need to have one of those on the street.

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
A guy I used to ride with had a 2002 Gixxer 1000. I had my ex500 at the time. I told him I had never ridden one bigger than my 500. He tossed me the keys, and said "Go have a blast. Careful, the clutch pull is short". Thank christ he warned me because I would have looped the thing. It is just crazy fast and powerful. Never will see the need to have one of those on the street.
For the big and tall, the larger frame and displacement makes for a better ride. And come on, who doesn't need to ability to pull away from traffic in any gear. Having too much power is like having too much sex...it just isn't possible!

·
Registered
116 Posts
For the big and tall, the larger frame and displacement makes for a better ride. And come on, who doesn't need to ability to pull away from traffic in any gear. Having too much power is like having too much sex...it just isn't possible!
you've obviously never gotten pinch-dick. believe me.. its possible.

·
Registered
148 Posts
600 miles on a 600, keep fighting the urge, you'll be a much better rider in the long run and you'll still be alive.

liters are very capable bikes but can be VERY unforgiving to bad inputs. that little blip in the throttle when your cranked over on a 600 will scare you, on a liter it will kill you.

Exactly, I've had three 600's and I'm gonna get another one, there plenty fast for me:) Learn on a 600 bike for a while then move up, no offense but u probably don't know your limitations yet and how to roll on the throttle through the turn. If ur on a liter bike and accidentally blip the throttle while going through a turn thats it for your bike and unless u have gear you too. On a 600 if u do that you'll be ok as long as u don't hit some gravel or something.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
600 miles on a 600, keep fighting the urge, you'll be a much better rider in the long run and you'll still be alive.
liters are very capable bikes but can be VERY unforgiving to bad inputs. that little blip in the throttle when your cranked over on a 600 will scare you, on a liter it will kill you.
Oh, trust me, i'm fighting. I loved the feel & the thought of possessing all that power, but i def. want to get my skill level WAAYY up before I get in the market to purchase one. Maybe in 2010, after i get some trackdays out the way.

you've obviously never gotten pinch-dick. believe me.. its possible.
WTF is pinch-dik??

Exactly, u probably don't know your limitations yet and how to roll on the throttle through the turn. If ur on a liter bike and accidentally blip the throttle while going through a turn thats it for your bike and unless u have gear you too.
Haven't pressed my limits much at all. Bike payment as well as not having any sliders yet keep me well away from testing my limitations. I was thinking the same thing on the 1K,-- no way in the world you would need all this power for the street.... Man that must be fun,lol

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
Exactly, I've had three 600's and I'm gonna get another one, there plenty fast for me:) Learn on a 600 bike for a while then move up, no offense but u probably don't know your limitations yet and how to roll on the throttle through the turn. If ur on a liter bike and accidentally blip the throttle while going through a turn thats it for your bike and unless u have gear you too. On a 600 if u do that you'll be ok as long as u don't hit some gravel or something.
I think 1000 vs. 600 has just about zero to do with control in a corner or on loose surface. I have hit gravel pretty fast and didn't low-side...because I didn't panic. Ride it out, level brake, level throttle, no panicked moves and you're good.

As far as blippin' the throttle? First gear on the 10R is good up to 100+ mph and corning at or around 45mph is a pretty mid range rpm at best, accidentally blippin' the throttle shouldn't wipe you out unless you are a total noob! You'd have to totally roll 100% throttle to get an uncontrolable accelleration. I'm just sayin.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Shakinlaw,
you perfectly described exactly how I would feel in that situation
I felt right with you as I read line by line lol
I hope you don't buy up over your head

·
Registered
39 Posts
My roommate would always give me crap for not trying out his 05gsxr 1k. Now that I've got a couple of miles on my belt I wouldn't mind trying one out. Still don't think I'm ready to upgrade for everyday riding.

·
Registered
274 Posts
the frustration i have in owning a liter bike is that i can't use the power. it's too fast. speed limit here is 55. i traded bikes with a friend once, me on his ninja 250 and he on my triumph. i still rode faster than he did. i think he was a bit put off by the power. j

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Shakinlaw, I'm glad you know your limitations and are not going out to buy a lierbike. Take your time and build your skills up and the next time you ride a liter you'll realize that the appeal of a literbike for everyday riding is not so much power but the abundant torque. There's nothing like being able to lope around town at 3 grand and still be able to walk away from anything on the road.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts