Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to ride my friends 06 GSX-R 600.

The good: It was really nice having the gear indicator on the highway. The transmission is smooth and take effortless shifts compared to my 05 636. I love the seating position on the gixxer, as I am only 5'8" and feel very comfortable. She handled very well, and felt slim compared to the 636. The mirrors, even though I rarely use them, gave a very good view.

The bad: The GP style exhaust was really loud in lower rpms. I couldn't believe it was that loud stock, it became annoying after several minutes. The biggest issue that I had was that the bike seemed way underpowered. I can't believe the difference between the 636 and the gixxer (I thought I would never say this about any 600). It was night and day. I was bored on the gixxer after riding it for over a 1/2 hour. My friend felt the same way after driving the 636. He stated he loved the immediate power delivery of the 636, as compared to the late rush of the gixxer. Not to say the gixxer is a nice bike, but I would definaltey love to drive the 750 which would be a better balance of power and handling. In the end if you haven't ridden a 636, then you will never know what your missing. ;)

N

·
0 Posts
i didnt like it either, when i rode my friend's 06. i dunno but it seemed inferior in quality, and as i was watching him ride mine, i kept thinking how hot and sexy the 636 is. :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
yah when 06 came around and it was time for me to buy a bike, my obvious choices were between the GSXr r6 and 636. after ripping around on the r6 i was impressed with its power but disliked how comfy the bike was, then i took the gsxr out and was disappointed on how the gixxer was. to my understanding the top speed and what not is actually better on the gsxr but over power was lacking. but i love the new look plus the comfort on it was way better then the r6. but once i got on a 636 it was all over. i bought the bike as soon as i dismounted.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i dont know i havent rode to many bikes besides mine and my friends cbr 600rr and my friends 97 kaw or yamaha 1000 and i thought they both were different from by bike but the 600rr was lowered so that would be diff. also mt friend has an 06 gsxr 600 and i sat on it it was nice for the hieght but the way the tank and that was it was also wierd

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Rode both the 06 600 and 750 and overaul was not impressed with either of them, the 600 felt sluggish in the low rpm, and the 750 felt refined and not that much faster then my 636.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Originally posted by jamse-r
I was able to ride my friends 06 GSX-R 600.

The good: It was really nice having the gear indicator on the highway. The transmission is smooth and take effortless shifts compared to my 05 636. I love the seating position on the gixxer, as I am only 5'8" and feel very comfortable. She handled very well, and felt slim compared to the 636. The mirrors, even though I rarely use them, gave a very good view.

The bad: The GP style exhaust was really loud in lower rpms. I couldn't believe it was that loud stock, it became annoying after several minutes. The biggest issue that I had was that the bike seemed way underpowered. I can't believe the difference between the 636 and the gixxer (I thought I would never say this about any 600). It was night and day. I was bored on the gixxer after riding it for over a 1/2 hour. My friend felt the same way after driving the 636. He stated he loved the immediate power delivery of the 636, as compared to the late rush of the gixxer. Not to say the gixxer is a nice bike, but I would definaltey love to drive the 750 which would be a better balance of power and handling. In the end if you haven't ridden a 636, then you will never know what your missing. ;)
Hmz I've had the same experience also. [:0] what year?
I didn't like the gsx-r 600 either for the riding position compared to the 636-C.

Every bike is different. You can't even compare the 600's in my opinion. Or the same type from different years. (let's say the zx6-r pre 2003 .. horrible)

·
Registered
857 Posts
i rode the 06 gix750 not to long ago and i felt the same way about it the exhuast didn't bother me tho, but event he 750 lacked the low end torque which i like, and the gear indicator was a nice feature and the mirros were better suited but i'll keep my 636...

·
Registered
488 Posts
cant say ive ridden a gsxr yet but I took my friends 05 cbr 600rr around the block the other day and was not impressed at all...There isnt anything that ive come across yet that can match the feel of a kawi. Team green forever.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I rode it on the track for a couple of laps and felt the brakes superior than mine. Turn in was not as easy as Kawi and yes the exhaust has more grunt than ours. To each, his own....

·
Registered
394 Posts
Originally posted by Razor_crazed
yah when 06 came around and it was time for me to buy a bike, my obvious choices were between the GSXr r6 and 636. after ripping around on the r6 i was impressed with its power but disliked how comfy the bike was, then i took the gsxr out and was disappointed on how the gixxer was. to my understanding the top speed and what not is actually better on the gsxr but over power was lacking. but i love the new look plus the comfort on it was way better then the r6. but once i got on a 636 it was all over. i bought the bike as soon as i dismounted.
Not! I read reviews in two different motorcycle magezines that propperly tested all the 600 class bike with electronic equipment etc etc.

The 636 beats all the others, including the daytona 675 with top speed and acceleration. The daytona had a little better performance on the roll ons.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I haven't ridden the 600 but I've ridden by buddy's 06 gixxer 750. The seating position is completely different but didn't take long to get comfortable on and I liked the handling. You could feel a great rush of power but like somebody else said, it felt refined. Ours is more of a surge and that's what I really like. I don't know about the exhaust being too loud. I really liked the note of it. I think his bike is like somebody else's baby. It's nice and all but only because you can give it back. I was happy to be back on my 636. But of course he likes his better. To each their own.

·
Registered
508 Posts
suzuki has a timing retard in the first 4 gears to keep people from bucking themselves off the bike. get a timing retard eliminator and the gixxers will feel very potent at the twist of the wrist.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Originally posted by Fade-Dude

Not! I read reviews in two different motorcycle magezines that propperly tested all the 600 class bike with electronic equipment etc etc.

The 636 beats all the others, including the daytona 675 with top speed and acceleration. The daytona had a little better performance on the roll ons.
yah thats an article in cycle world. im not talking about roll on or acceleration i was just saying top speed was "qouted" as being higher then any other 6-- bike. but frankly i will never see the top speed out of any bike so i dont care about that any how

·
Registered
394 Posts
NO, it was not, hehe, one was superbike magezine other was BikeSA. And they tested all aspects, and as I said, Top speed, 636 wins as well as acceleration etc. it gets to 259KM/h where the nearest competitor gets 250KM/h. The gsxr and r6 both got 250km/h. THe honda and daytona 248KM/h.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have rode my brothers 06 gsxr and as jamse-r said, the seating was very comfortable for me (5'4"), very narrow, and the thing would just flop over into the corner with almost no effort. The low end grunt was not there compared to the 636. I do like the gauge cluster much better than the 636's however. The gear indicator is nice, as is the shift light. I felt the clutch to be a little heavy, taking more effort, and maybe just because I'm used to my 636, take offs required quite a bit more rpm's to get it going. Overall I think it's a great bike, but I'll take my 636 over it anyday!

·
Registered
857 Posts
NO, it was not, hehe, one was superbike magezine other was BikeSA. And they tested all aspects, and as I said, Top speed, 636 wins as well as acceleration etc. it gets to 259KM/h where the nearest competitor gets 250KM/h. The gsxr and r6 both got 250km/h. THe honda and daytona 248KM/h.
theers no way 259km/h is the top speed on our bikes... ive been 270+km/h on my 04...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yes and your speedo is 10% out.... sorry I had to be the one to tell you. I tested mine with a gps. When doing 245 indicated your only doing about 222 real speed.

If its any concilation, about 70% of the vehicles i've checked out also reads a bit hi. So its all good when you compare your speed to another blokes speed, your both going at a snails pace. :D

·
Registered
857 Posts
yeah your probly right but i was asuming they did the tests taking readings from the speedo itself...

·
Registered
394 Posts

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.